Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Thank you! As far as I can tell, non subscribers can only buy the cd from 2 stores Neil Links to. I'll probably get it from qovuz.

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

NYA Download Store

This is his download store. Prices are a bit higher for non subscribers

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

Thank you very much. The non subscriber price was almost double. I can see where a subscription could make sense for some fans; I'll likely get this from Qobuz for $14. I really do appreciate the information.

4. buymeamercury

buymeamercury Well-Known Member

Does anyone have or know the current discount code for HDTracks? I’m looking to buy the new Springsteen and if I can save a little money it helps with the conversion from $CAD to $USD.

5. moomoomoomoo

1 day (today only) 20% code is HDDAD20

buymeamercury likes this.
  6. buymeamercury

buymeamercury Well-Known Member

Thanks!

7. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Just picked up the new Springsteen, the new Santana, and Neil Young's "Tuscaloosa" thanks to the sale.

8. moomoomoomoo

I am thinking about the subscription to the Neil Young site; as the dl prices drop really low. Problem is, at this time there's only 2 I need.

art and xj32 like this.
  9. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I looked at that tonight as well. Not sure how many of his albums I am missing in Hi-Rez, but I know that all of the ones I do have sound fantastic.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  10. moomoomoomoo

That I agree with 100%!

Even Letter Home has the scratching removed on the website version, though it still sounds pretty crummy, lol!

ChristopherTeuma and xj32 like this.
  11. moomoomoomoo

All, a friend sent me the following that he found on Neil Young's web site. If I am reading it correctly, it seems to mean that NYA is the first hi-res retailer to copy guard their files. I assume activation means only the original purchaser can play it? Any specifics (including Watermarking & how that might impact the sound) would be appreciated.

"Full Permanent Non-MP3 Digital Audio Downloads

Personal Computers: You may not activate any audio track purchased or obtained via
    the NYA Service on more than three (3) desktop or laptop computers.
    CD Burning: You may not make more than seven (7) burns of a particular playlist
    (such as an album) to a CD or similar media.
    Portable Devices: You may not transfer audio tracks purchased or obtained via the
    NYA Service from a personal computer to more than three (3) mobile phones or tablets
    (or to any cellular telephone or other device capable of cellular or WAP
    communication)."

12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I defended Neil SO HARD through the entire pono episode and aftermath, and now this. (I'd say "This is the thanks I get?", but I have never bought any of his music and don't intend to start now...)

vonwegen likes this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Where do you all find these discount codes?

14. moomoomoomoo

I sign up for all the stores' emails.

supermd likes this.
  15. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

Link?

16. moomoomoomoo

He cut & pasted it in an email, so I can't provide a link. We were talking about where we were going to buy a particular album. I will guarantee my friend did not fabricate that verbiage.

17. moomoomoomoo

I've emailed my friend asking for a link (I'm a bit stunned at the response here & in the Neil Young thread).

Unlike myself, he doesn't live on his computer, so it may be a couple days.

18. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I don’t think DRM is even possible with FLAC files is it?

Also not a single mention of it in their terms of service Home

EDIT: that first link was for the download store but the terms of service do mention it on the actual archives website, but it also mentions permanent video downloads and video rentals, which considering the archives site does not offer audio downloads, video downloads or video rentals I don’t think it is relevant. The download site runs under a different terms of service.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  19. moomoomoomoo

https://neilyoungarchives.com/terms.html

Scroll to section 14.

It may or may not be true; but why post it on the site if it isn't? Though as much as I love Neil's music & mastering, his hi-res marketing has been really poor (see Pono).

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

If the files had DRM you wouldn’t be able to redownload them after purchasing as then straight away you would be circumventing the DRM

21. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

Thanks for the link.

Very strange that the NYA Store — the place to buy downloads — also has a Terms of Use link, but that takes you to a page at the OraStream site that doesn't mention downloads at all. [Edit: dtuck90 has also pointed this out above.] So it's kind of hard to tell which terms actually apply to downloads purchased there.

Now of course we're taking about the guy who, during his tenure as CEO of Pono Music, apparently failed to notice that his supplier had gone bankrupt and that its assets were being sold off to the highest bidder. Or anyway his public comments on that topic suggest that he believes a big company with ulterior motives yanked his suppler out from under him, when in fact it had collapsed entirely on its own. Given that sad sequence of events, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to presume that the terms of use referenced above are largely unconnected with the way things actually work.

But maybe they pertain to something, somehow. So I'd be interested in hearing about the experience of buying a download there, from anyone here who has done that. What kinds of files are downloaded? If they're in a standard format, e.g. FLAC, can they be played by your choice of player, or is special OraStream software required?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Is it possible the "Terms Of Use" are just an "honor code" of sorts? I'll be interested to see how this plays out. Also, did anyone else notice that before the online NYA launched, nearly all of his albums were selling for $9.99 (standard, non-sale price) at the Greedy Hand store? Some time (the exact time?) after the archive launched, those prices doubled. Obviously it's his (or the label's) price to set but I'd have a hard time paying double for something I know the same group/company had offered for half the price in the past. I'm glad I grabbed Deja Vu and Harvest before the price hike.

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It was the label that did that. Neil was dead set against. One of the reasons Pono failed is that Neil wanted low prices for hi res but the labels didnt

jhm and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Plus he didn't want all those bricked remaster hi-rez releases. Funny all those awful 'MFIT's' sliding into Itunes. Labels-->"You get this or nothing."
    Can I have the non-mfit of this please? :laugh:
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database

25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thanks. It's nice to know it was the greedy label (Greedy Hand indeed) instead of NY himself. In retrospect, I should've just known :)!

vonwegen likes this.