HMV ‘Vinyl Week’ sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Chris Treece, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident Thread Starter

Started today. Some HMV-only coloured releases next Saturday, I believe (plus early opening; I think they’re trying to host their own RSD) Anyway, the instore sale is on and some good stuff to be had. Far too many to list here - Manchester store had loads of crates out. Stones Beggars anniv. Edition for £19.99, Stones complete box £174, Tom Petty 4-lp box £33.99, White Album versions all with big reductions, Hemispheres deluxe and super-deluxe £43/£89 etc etc. Absolutely bloody tons of the stuff.

johnnybrum and Dubmart like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Anything available for purchase online or is this an in-store exclusive event?

3. Chris Treece

I don’t think they have an online store anymore.

4. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Yep, no website , exclusives on sale next Saturday morning, 3rd batch announced next week

5. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Had a look round this morning as I had to go into town, anyway, to collect my new glasses... A decent selection, I think, well worth a look if you're passing... I saw the big Stones vinyl box for £185, The Beatles White Album 2018 remix for £19.99, but lots of £9.99, £12.99, £14.99 titles..

I bought Nina Simone Pastel Blues LP for £7.99...Would have probably bought more if I hadn't just spent £240 on new specs!

6. Chris Treece

The Stones big box was £175 yesterday, I think.

7. Chris Treece

Aaaargh....they keep bloody adding stuff!! Another £60 done on the way into work this morning.

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Is this in Fopp as well? Because there’s no HMV in central London now, as ridiculous as that sounds.

9. Chris Treece

From what I saw in Fopp Manchester on Friday, they had some of the sale titles out at the usual Fopp thing of '1p more than HMV', but only a small fraction of the HMV range. Best pickup this morning was the Charlie Haden/Pat Metheny 'Beyond the Missouri Sky' double for £12.99. Listening now, sounds absolutely amazing...

Graham likes this.
  10. Chris Treece

Other pickups.....REM live at the BBC dbl £12.99 and a couple of yellow vinyl 'exclusives' for £9.99 apiece - CCR Cosmo's Factory & BB King Live at the Regal

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

It’s the colour vinyl exclusives today. Last year they were overpriced, in fact I picked up John Martyn Solid Air in the current sale reduced from last years £25 down to £10 last weekend.

Wondering if HMV operating a similar price this year and how much they’re selling double vinyl for. There are posts on twitter from hmv about this but none of the album covers showing a price tag at present. I asked in store yesterday but they weren’t allowed to say.

I believe they may be doing this in Fopp also, not 100% sure though

12. Chris Treece

Yep, I also picked up the blue Solid Air, plus a couple of their colour 'exclusives' from last year at £10 a pop. I guess they were overpriced first time round......if only there were a special day where retailers could sell coloured vinyl 'exclusives' at inflated prices......

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I was really disappointed with the HMV sale, didn't see anything for £7.99, £12.99 seemed to be the cheapest, no box set bargains and nothing whatsoever that tempted me, on a positive note I went with my niece who is just starting to collect records and we bonded over those titles we both like although she now wants me to give her my White Stripes LPs which definitely isn't happening though I might buy her a current reissue of one to cushion the blow.

14. Chris Treece

John Martyn 'Grace & Danger' is £7.99, Boz Scaggs 'Out Of The Blues' the same. There were others......can't recall what....

15. Chris Treece

Plus tons of stuff at £9.99

16. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Got the funkadelic in pink. Picked up Never mind for £9.99 as I didnt have a copy.

17. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

People also selling the exclusives online already for £95 a pop. Hate scalpers.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Will they get their money though ?

19. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Went to HMV for their vinyl sale today.......meh :(

It was actually very quiet (the Broadmead, Bristol) - looks like vinyl week has been a bit of a damp squib this time around......

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yer man @culabula is delighted to secure his copy of Unhalfbricking and wonders how he can get two ...

Grew a grey beard specially too, in order to fit in.

Shane Horan on Twitter

21. Scribbled_Lines

Scribbled_Lines Forum Resident

Picked up Eels - Beautiful Freak for £7.99
    Good price for a great album.

22. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

I picked up at my local HMV
    In Southend on-sea a few bargains.
    Sting The Soul Cages vinyl for £7.99p
    And Genesis Duke Clear Vinyl for
    £9.99p.
    I was happy to dive in the sale boxes while
    About 20+ people fought it out for coloured
    Vinyl specials today. Came home happy
    both sound great so good morning, Floyd.

23. Chris Treece

This sale is costing me £££ Another store today (Bradford), a whole new range of goodies. Came away with Sinatra stereo remaster Only The Lonely, deluxe double 60th anniv. for £14.99 and The Band Big Pink deluxe 45rpm Bellman cut double LP for £12.99

Anyone looking for the coloured exclusives, they had pretty much everything in stock. Only missing the two Primal Scream sets, I think.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Floyd Crazy likes this.
  24. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Hit Telford HMV just before 9, already a decent queue but they had done the smart move of giving a wish list request out to those waiting to fill out , and they had bagged them up ready at the tills so the queue disappeared off to the tills allowing me a clean run at the displays. Plenty of stock, prices definitely UP on last year.
    I as usual spent too much despite leaving stuff behind (rem (amazon had dispatched my preorder that morning) verve (already got) suede (already got twice ) ), pleased I got both the primal screams , fairport convention, both Queen (my originals can take a well deserved rest now) , dusty , yardbirds (nicely done) and best of the lot goes to Siouxsie and the banshees. Also picked up a few from the sale . Nice to see HMV busy , and definitely trying to replicate the RSD vibe

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Those Universal coloured vinyls from last year were only exclusive to HMV in the UK, both Media Markt and Saturn here sold them, and quite a few of them eg. Solid Air, Blue Train, Tubular Bells And quite a few others are still easily available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.