Joy Division Day By Day - Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

A CD of stuff that didn’t make H&S, a kind of ‘mopping up’ job, would be interesting. Some of this is listed here (scroll to bottom, ‘What was left off’ section), though things like the RCA sessions & Warsaw demos are of course on the ‘babyface’ CD anyway.

Heart & Soul box set

As you said, some radio sessions still haven’t been issued. I’ve said it before but I’d like to see a full length version of In A Lonely Place see a proper release, beyond the RSD 12” from a few years back. It would be the perfect closer to a CD of previously unreleased stuff.

I’d also like to see a handful of the best live sets come out officially. There’s quite a few that are worthy of release.

Nice to see the chat picking up again

2. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The ‘babyface’ cd I put in a slipcase and added it to the H&S set. I think it belongs in there.

3. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Joy Division concert 16th June 1979: The Odeon, Canterbury

On this day in 1979, Joy Division supported The Cure at Canterbury Odeon. It was the only time they played Something Must Break live. I still wonder sometimes if someone, even possibly a Cure fan, taped this gig. It would be amazing to hear that song live.

4. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Probably it sounded a lot like the version recorded the next month on the first Transmission session - perhaps minus the electronic sounds.

The full set list of that gig, as noted down by Rob Gretton, was published in the fantastic "1 Top Class Manager" book, on p. 94. If you don't have your copy handy, here's what it says: Disorder/Lost Control/Shadowplay/Wilderness/New Dawn Fades/Glass/These Days/New One (Something Must Break added later)/Interzone //blank// Atrocity Exhibition.

Fantastic setlist... not bad for a band that just has released its first album.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Pop_Zeus likes this.
  5. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Actually, I came here for something else. Over on this page, "editor's notes" on Unknown Pleasures have been added courtesy of one Steve Morris. Just to give you a taster, here's the short bit on Interzone:

onlyacanvasky and Pop_Zeus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.