James Bond 25 - Speculation and Anticipation Thread*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Brosnan is happy with his life and family and reconciled with the political and economic issues he had with the Broccoli family and the Bond producers. I think one problem is that he had worked his way up to an extremely high pay scale (he got more than $15M for the role), and the studio was unnerved about an actor's salary and percentage going sky-high in the Bond series. Now, they have the same problem with Daniel Craig. Note that Brosnan was about 51 when he was fired; Craig is now 51 (!!!) and makes far more dough than anybody dreamed of paying Brosnan.

melstapler, PH416156 and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

incredible the money they throw at the actors! I loved the Brosnan films after Bond...he's just a likable figure on film...

3. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

With Broz they got a mix of Connery suave and Moore humour. For the Craig reboot they wanted Fleming's "blunt instrument", and DC doesn't convey the PB brand of likability. In CR that worked great for the PTS, the parkour chase and embassy shootout, and the chair torture. One of the problems with Spectre was trying to shoehorn in gags like Sinatra and the couch. DC - and the Bond he portrays - just can't land that type of laugh. A better way to lighten up Spectre would've been to have Bond end the PTS by landing the helicopter on the hotel roof, rappelling down the side, hop in through the window and say to the Mexican beauty "now, where were we"?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

melstapler likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes well described! Now that's Bond! LOL

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Let's take that one step further.:agree:

They show him rappelling down the side of an unknown building into an open window. The Mexican beauty is shown from the back, walking down the hall. She opens the door. You hear a gasp. Close up on her smile.
    Seen over her shoulder, Bond is seated at her table with a bottle of champagne, offering her a glass.

7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I agree, I think they achieved a nice balance.

I think that Bond is an intellectual character more so than a Rambo type action figure.

Roger Moore played the part more for laughs. This is what didn't work for me about his Bond character.

Craig, is a completely humorless James Bond and that doesn't work for me either.

Dalton, wasn't really that bad, but he was forced to play the part with his hands tied. When he did The Living Daylights, a studio decision was made to make the character less "misogynistic" and more politically correct, which IMO, was a disaster.

Bond is Bond, deal with it.

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I wouldn't say Craig is humorless, but his attempts at humor are both charming but inept, which I think is in the real spirit of Flemming's Bond. In any case, it works for me as a way to bring Bond into the 21st century.

HenryH likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I really liked CR...after that snzzzzz

10. NickCarraway

11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

12. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

13. alexpop

Bond 25 ? a bit of a Macbeth curse.

14. NickCarraway

Well, someone has to report Bond gossip while the “serious” media are busy trying to start WWIII and smearing Farage.

15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I liked Brosnan as Bond. As for Die Another Day, yea not a great flick to go out on, especially the second half of the movie. But it has Rosamund Pike and Halle Berry, so win-win, at least for me, ha.
    I really like Craig as Bond. Hope he goes out on a great movie!

PT

onanboy likes this.
  16. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

It would be great if, while Connery is still alive, we could have a new film with a connection to one of the old stories, in which the current Bond has to consult with Connery.

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I think that ship sailed by not having Connery play the old man at Skyfall.

18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I am a huge Bond fan having been hooked as a wee lad in the mid 60s.

That said, maybe EON should just stop. Bond 25 seems to be cursed. Cubby is long gone, John Barry and Ken Adams , key elements of the classic films, are no longer with us and Barbara and Micheal seem to have lost the “mojo”.

PH416156 likes this.
  19. alexpop

Guess it’s hard to replace Daniel Craig. Bond 25 will see the light of day eventually at least 2020, latest. The problem is replacing DC most of the contenders are getting old. A actor in his late 30s would be a good bet.

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

It's a very, very time consuming role when I am guessing for a new Bond would have to sign on for 3 movies to start? Shooting seems to be very long and a TON of travel. Hard to be Bond and have time to breath and do something else between bond movies.

21. alexpop

Think a unknown would be ideal. The amount of stick DC got when he got the Bond part was incredible. Craig got the last laugh.

Scottish.James McAvoy would be good though 40.
    English.Tom Hardy-42.
    Scottish. Sam Heughan -39
    English. Henry Cavill-36
    Irish. Jonathan Rhys Meyers -42.

American actor ?
    Chris Evans-38 ( and he’s available).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

FWIW, Connery was 6′ 2 and 32 first bond.
    George Lazenby 6′ 2 and 29
    Roger Moore 6′ 1 and 46
    Timothy Dalton 6′ 2 and 40
    Pierce Brosnan 6′ 1 and 41
    Daniel Craig 5′ 10 and 37

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

We all have to make some sacrifices for out career's. Maybe for some, having a three movie well paid gig beats being out of work.

If you are a hit as James Bond and they are planning on wanting you for future movies, you can always negotiate your contract.

There are plenty of actors to hit the top, only to quickly fall from grace. A contract for big budget feature films and the nice paycheck that they provide, makes for a nice golden parachute.

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Good for sellers of apple boxes

25. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

I'd think for any actor being James Bond is a good, steady gig - and a hell of a nice paycheck. As for the downside of travel and long shoots, they haven't made back-to-back Bond movies since 2008's Quantum of Solace. Daniel Craig had a lot of time in between Bond movies to do anything he wanted, from starring on Broadway to making other films. Connery's beef - besides not being paid enough - was that his Bond movies always ran over their shooting schedules and he couldn't fit in other projects in between (think about it: Connery made the first four James Bond movies in four consecutive years.)

A 3-movie contract? That's three movies - and three big paydays - lined up. Considering how much of an actor's life is hustling for the next role and the next paycheck, being James Bond isn't a bad gig at all. Post-Bond, even the Mighty Connery spent the 70's struggling to find roles and make movies that connected with audiences. Sure, he'd gripe about being James Bond to anyone who'd listen, but by 1976 Connery was developing a new James Bond movie for himself, knowing there was an audience out there for it. Connery also caught wind of the paychecks Roger Moore was pulling down as 007 and figured he could do probably even better in a tuxedo and good toupee.

That said, I'm sympathetic to not wanting the press hounding an actor's every more - I'm thinking of the moronic response Piers "Twit-for-brains" Morgan tweeted about Daniel Craig carrying his infant daughter in a Baby Bjorn - but that seems a modest price to pay for a comfortable Bond-funded lifestyle (Craig and daughter were headed back to their Brooklyn brownstone).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.