Does Anyone Under 30 Know Who CCR Are, Or, For That Fact, Listen To Them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

I bought a CCR box set a couple weeks ago and it's been getting played a lot. They were just crazy good. But it got me thinking, does radio every play CCR anymore except for maybe "Proud Mary" once in a while? Have younger people been exposed to them at all? Or are they just another band that's fading out as all of us old fans get older and pass on?

2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I was born the year after they broke up and I was a big fan from about age 14. So I don't see why some teenagers today wouldn't also be fans.

tkl7 and bvb1123 like this.
  3. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I also posted this kind of question, maybe even mentioning other groups.
    Well ... unfortunately, the question will always receive the same answer: "Yes, there are young people who know what CCRs are, who" Bob Dylan "is, what CSN & Y are.
    but they are few. unfortunately ... very few ..

Rhett, DaveJ and bvb1123 like this.
  4. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I sure do! My dad had some tapes by CCR and their songs are being used in many films I've seen and loved over the years. The radio here plays them from time to time as well. Great band :righton:

Tim 2, zbir, MortSahlFan and 2 others like this.
  5. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I personally know at least three persons who do, so there must be some.

bvb1123 likes this.
  6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Not quite CCR, but they play Fogerty's Centerfield to death on the muzak where I work to where a lot of the younger girls in my department will break into "put me in coach, I'm ready to play".

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Way confused. Read the thread title and thought - yeah, I know one track.

But then searched Youtube to post a link and find it's CCS not CCR.

wellhamsrus, Rooster_Ties and bvb1123 like this.
  8. bvb1123

Well, I'm glad to know that some youngsters are still listening to them. They really are too good to be relegated to the dust bin of musical history.

9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

You are correct, they are...however they are still heading to the dust bin of musical history....and that's okay....that's how it should be...each generation should have their own music.

AveryKG and bvb1123 like this.
  10. bvb1123

Oh, I definitely agree with you there. Every generation should definitely have their own music, superstars and bands but I still think it's important to acknowledge what came before.

11. Logeroni_Pepperoni

Logeroni_Pepperoni Forum Resident

I think they're pretty good. You gotta love songs like Have You Ever Seen The Rain? and Bad Moon Rising. And about every so often on the radio they'll play Fortunate Son until you're just about fortunate enough not to hear it instead of any other song by them.

12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

I hear CCR on the radio here, and not just Proud Mary .

13. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Their spotify play numbers are pretty tremendous, four tracks with well over 100 MILLION listens, and two well over 300 million.....

who knows if it's all oldsters doing the listening but i think bodes well for some youth awareness....to keep woodstock star comparisons, CSNY in comparison has not a single track over 100 million listens....neither does Sly and Family Stone, Airplane...Santana has one over 100 mill, and it's "Smooth"....Hendrix does have three over 100 million plays....but even the mighty legendary still on tour Who have only one over 100 mill plays....

So if spotify plays have any generational significance, CCR is, surprisingly to me til i checked, tops among the Woodstock biggies.

Rockinrob and bvb1123 like this.
  14. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

They do know, it's that band which gets Grandpa out of his rocking chair........

Kiddin', although CCR is the ultimate dad-rock, people below 30 will be aware of Creedence songs which still have radio airplay or get played by a certain type of cover bands. However I am not sure if the band name still rings a bell.

pig bodine, lbangs and bvb1123 like this.
  15. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I know exactly who CCR and the Fogerty brothers are, but I have yet to get into their music

bvb1123 likes this.
  16. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

Oh yeah.

bvb1123 likes this.
  17. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

There are more than 7 billion people on this planet and more than half of them are under the age of 30.

Of course some people under 30 know CCR. Some people under 30 (like, millions of them) know everything. This is an absolutely huge sample size.

steve_miller, soarer29 and bvb1123 like this.
  18. bvb1123

I kinda just picked the age 30 out of the air. My point was that, at least where I live, you never hear CCR on the radio and it would seem that young people would have to actively search them out to listen to them, but how many of the younger people even know of them? I know they've got their own music and that's great and fine but great music shouldn't be forgotten as easily as it seems to be lately.

19. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

The Purple Disco Extended Remix of Rude Awakening #2 is popular in dance clubs everywhere.

bvb1123 likes this.
  20. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

Here in Scotland, and particularly here in Orkney, CCR are guaranteed to be heard on jukeboxes and virtually every pub band covers them. As a teacher of 11-19 year olds I was aware of the number of kids with the band's hits on their phones and school bands covering them as audience pleasers. One thing I noticed in particular was that they appealed to both male and female students alike. So, definitely still an gong strong here.

21. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Im 31 so just outside your window, but I've been a big CCR fan since my teenage years and know plenty of people who know and like them. I think among classic rock acts CCR is actually one of the more well known groups, maybe not for whole albums, but definitely their big singles. I can put on a song by The Who (if it aint on of the CSI ones forget about it) or Zeppelin or a myriad of others from that era and be told frequently to change it, but CCR, well young people still relate to it. I honestly think a big part of this is because of their exposure in movies. CCR tracks featured prominently in a few movies in my youth, and I find with Millenials its all about familiarity "If I've heard it before then I like it" Its a bit of a what came first the chicken or the egg scenario though, because every song you like you had to have heard it for a first time to like it. But I do find movie soundtracks really help get these songs and bands over with Millenials. Another example of this is Zeppelin, who strongly refused to allow their songs to be used in films for many years. While my friends who are music nuts know and respect them, the friends who are casual fans actually have no clue who they are, they cant even identify Stairway, they actually wouldnt know it. But CCR is different. It comes as no surprise in the youth tilted streaming world CCR is exceeding expectations.

laf848 and bvb1123 like this.
  22. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

I go to a lot of high school baseball games in the area, and one constant is that every team has some CCR/Fogerty stuff on their between inning playlists--typically, Fortunate Son, Bad Moon Rising, and of course Centerfield. The "rain" songs (Who'll Stop and Have You Ever Seen) also frequently appear when the weather becomes threatening. These are player driven lists that include a lot of recent material too, so it appears these songs are well known to the kids. High energy songs that smack of anger and resentment and foretell imminent doom and destruction still seem to resonate with competitive high school boys.

bvb1123 likes this.
  23. Otterley

Otterley Well-Known Member

Im 26 and CCR is one of my favs, but I wouldnt count myself on these kinds of "lists"a I grew up in a rock n roll family with lots of rock n roll around.

bvb1123 likes this.
  24. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

My son is in his 20s and loves CCR, a couple of his friends ''that i know of'' do as well, no help from me whatsover

Jimmy B., Guy E and bvb1123 like this.
  25. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

CCR has some pretty famous songs. I'm 32 and have been listening to them since I was a kid, so yeah -- I'd say some younger people definitely listen to them.

That said, I still think all their well-known songs sound the same. :D

CatchAsCan and bvb1123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.