New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Western Stars has very little in common with Springsteen’s 2002 - 2014 body of work, especially his last album (High Hopes, unless you count the Broadway ego-fest). Glad you ordered it, it is arguably the best thing he has produced since the 1990’s.

laf848, RSteven, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Has some similarities with Devils and Dust at least in songwriting.

3. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I disagree a little. There are pretty distinct D&D and WOAD influences on WS.
    But I would agree its his best, most cohesive work since TGOTJ, or maybe even TOL.

4. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Fortune’s always hiding ⚒

Just goes to show how personal taste comes into these things.
    Of the albums marked I’d have Devils and Dust rated higher than The Rising. Magic rated higher than Devils and Dust. And Western Stars easily rated the highest. It’s easily a 4.5 Star album. Without Sleepy Joes a 5 star. But that’s just my opinion

enro99, The MEZ, JoeF. and 1 other person like this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Depends how you rate them. The way I did it every track would need to be 5 stars to get 5/5, so no single album (by anybody ever) would manage that. e.g. Born to Run would be 4.75 (10th Ave and She's the One only 4/5).

Ian Roberts likes this.
  6. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

This release bores me to tears, I’ve been thru it 3 times plus once with headphones. Reminds of Madonnas British accent

7. Ian Roberts

I think you way underscored Magic and Western Stars but hey no worries. Personal taste etc

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I think I originally stated that I thought Western Stars was Bruce's best album since Magic but now I am going to go farther back and say since Nebraska.

9. Ian Roberts

I said exactly the same.

10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I listened to the whole album at 2 am last night with a nice whiskey and the whole area around me dead quiet.
    This is truly a fantastic album.
    It's amazing how many images and dreams I had going through my head as I listened to each song. More than once I kept seeing images in my head of many of the old scenery shots in the great old western show "Bonanza", that I got hooked on when they reran it at 12 midnight every night in 1990 here in Toronto. This album made me think deeply. Each song is like a mini movie.
    I kept seeing horses and riders coming over the hill on a beautiful sunny day during some songs...:laugh: "Moonlight Motel" reminded me of an old love and an old resort we used to go to in Huntsville, Ontario about 20 years ago, which is almost certainly no longer there...; absolutely haunting.

After the album finished playing I was left with an empty glass and tears in my eyes. That's powerful.

"The Wayfarer", "Stones" and "Moonlight Motel" have really grown on me.
    I also like "Sleepy Joe's Café"; it's place in the running order is important and necessary to "lighten up" the proceedings a bit. I don't get the dislike for it at all.

I'm changing my rating to **** out of 5 'western' stars.

(I've also got to add, I can't believe the dislike shown on this thread for "The Rising", "Wrecking Ball" (especially) and "High Hopes" (I like "Working On A Dream" as well and there are things on this new one that wouldn't seem out of place on that album)

I hold "Wrecking Ball" in high regard as I do this new one.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  11. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of Wrecking Ball as well. I really enjoy that record. My top 10 of Bruce releases would include his first 7 albums, The Rising, Wrecking Ball and now Western Stars. I've never connected with Tunnel of Love at all, but I just don't think I'm the demographic for it. :)

01. Darkness on the Edge of Town
    02. The River
    03. The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle
    04. Nebraska
    05. Born to Run
    06. Born in the USA
    07. Western Stars
    08. Wrecking Ball
    09. Greetings from Asbury Park
    10. The Rising

Vinyl_Blues, Randy5554, YMC4 and 2 others like this.
  12. johnny 99

There should be a 'dislike' button for a post like this. I can't take it seriously knowing the guy who wrote it is into John Mayer with what's left of the so called "Dead"...:laugh:

PJayBe, Mfj55, Bossyman and 2 others like this.
  13. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

substitute Wrecking Ball with Tunnel Of Love then i'm there with you :righton:

14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I’m into John Mayer? Lol not sure where I indicated that, fairly certain I wouldn’t be able to even name a song of his, but anyway...

Been a fan since the river( the first go around, and 40 shows later...) and it’s not the first Springsteen album that hasn’t moved me but I’ve long given up on trying to explain the difference between opinion and fact.

DavidD and budwhite like this.
  15. johnny 99

That's okay if the album doesn't move you. I was just kiddin' around about The Dead thing...saying someone's into John Mayer isn't a nice thing to do...;)

DavidD and fishcane like this.
  16. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

John Mayer is a ripping great guitar player

17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The Who and Plant & Page have done it. Why not Bruce?

18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Considering all the gambling references in the words- and some times the titles- of his songs , it seems a natural fit
    Besides, Las Vegas is in the West.

Viva Las Vegas .

19. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

THE RISING album is a time and place album.
    1. Lonesome Day
    2. Into The Fire
    3. Waiting On A sunny day
    4. Nothing Man
    5. Empty Sky
    6. Further On
    7. Down in The Hole
    8. You're Missing
    9. The Rising
    10. Paradise
    11. City Of Ruins

That's a very solid record.

20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

There's a part of me that wants to top both of you and offer Western Stars as the best, most consistent, most listenable Springsteen since Darkness on the Edge of Town, but I won't because as good as it is, we've lived with it for less than a week. Sometimes I feel that it would be better if we reviewed albums several months or even a year after release. I know that's impractical --the business demands reviews as quickly as possible. But we all have albums in our collection that we once thought were the bee's knees after a week's worth of spins--now gathering dust.

I know this is a little different--this is Springsteen, a man with an almost 50 year record of consistent work, not the latest Pitchfork-approved flavor of the week.

But let's live with Western Stars a little before we get married to it.

21. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

When I wrote yesterday it was his most cohesive album since Nebraska, I originally wrote since Darkness (the River is not that cohesive IMHO). For the very reason you mention, I think it needs to age. I think it will do so very well. :cool: Its good enough at the moment that I can't be bothered playing any other Springsteen - even if I am tempted to compare some of the releases to comment on the rankings going on elsewhere in the thread.

The MEZ, JoeF. and RSteven like this.
  22. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I wasn’t expecting much, but thought, hey, it’s on Spotify: why not?

But my goodness: after just one listen I can tell what a wonderful album this is. It’s beautiful. The Boss at his very best.

I shall be buying this straight away. Five very big Western Stars for an emotional and evocative record.

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Currently 'Chasin' Wild Horses' is my favourite track on the album. Reminds me a little of Dry Lightning, which I play a lot at open mics and gigs. I love the fact Bruce is back to telling stories.

Ian Roberts, Dr. Zoom and moonshiner like this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I can’t stop listening to this album either. And when I’m not listening to it, the tunes are playing ping-pong in my head...

Ian Roberts, RSteven, willy and 3 others like this.
  25. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I’m watching two sports and Moonlight Motel is humming in my brain....
    And the Chasin Wild Horses comment from @windfall above. Played again to day and really enjoyed that track for the first time.

JoeF. and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.