'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Agreed. I love Wahoo.
    What about Charles Lloyd "Forest Flower"?

Morbius likes this.
  2. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I thought this might interest some folks. Wayne Shorter playing with Herbie Hancock and Joe Chambers on three different albums, pressed by three different outlets: Vinyl Me Please Blue Note Anthology, Music Matters, and Blue Note Tone Poet. If you know the albums and their release histories inside and out, you'll know which is which. If you don't have encyclopedic knowledge of all three albums, you can check these out and see what sorts of differences you hear. The FLAC files are 24 bit 92kHz. The mp3s are the highest quality Audacity will export. I didn't adjust the levels on any of the files, so they all had the same amount of gain before landing in your ears.

FLAC Files:

This Shorter
    That Shorter
    The Other Shorter

MP3 Files:

This Shorter
    That Shorter
    The Other Shorter

edit: had the wrong file linked!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  3. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

Not a big fan of the flute??!!

Eric Dolphy, Sam Most, Joe Farrell, Hubert Laws, Bobbi Humphrey, Herbie Mann, Dave Valentin, Buddy Collette...to name just a few.

Now add to that list Ms. Elena Pinderhughes. Watch out for her! :love::):thumbsup::edthumbs:

[​IMG]

Elena on Twitter

4. Xulio

Xulio Forum Resident

timzigs and bluemooze like this.
  5. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

The altoist Braxton Cook is obviously influenced by Kenny Garrett.

6. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

And for good measure...jazz flute by Ron Burgundy or as he calls it, "baby-making music". Classic!

Okay enough of the OTP or else the Guardians of the Tone Poet Galaxy will be after me. :cop:

Dai, dastinger, Joti Cover and 11 others like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:laughup:

Joti Cover likes this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I never caught the aqualung reference previously until now :laugh:

DeRosa likes this.
  9. Almost anytime my wife and / or I hear a flute we yell out “heyyy AQUALUNG!”... sort of a family joke based upon this scene. Absolute classic!

dastinger, DeRosa, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
  10. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Whenever I hear Jazz flute I want to eat a whole cheese wheel just like Baxter.

bkbk, dastinger, DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  11. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

More 'bone, less flute, please.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Finally the next round of the amazing Tone Poet series is upon us! Picking up Mr. Shing-A-Ling tomorrow at my local shop, but alas my copy of "Cornbread" apparently is still baking in the oven and I won't be able to get it until next week some time...

But with that said, I do have the Speakers Corner of Max Roach featuring Hassan also arriving tomorrow, and a big drum roll if you please, after an 11 year wait, The new Raconteurs "Help Me Stranger" vinyl as well, which is my most anticipated Rock release in some time!

Can't wait to hear the feedback for the next Tone Poet releases!

bkbk, Crispy Rob and Twinsfan007 like this.
  13. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I just got that and listened to it today, you're gonna love it!

14. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I just checked out the Max Roach from Speakers Corner on Amazon.ca and it's being released tomorrow in Canada. It's $54 Canadian, and as much as I like Speaker's Corner these high end reissues are getting harder to swallow price wise now that The Tone Poet Series is out and costing me $32 bucks, and I have many Speakers Corner titles.

15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just got my copy of Glamoured today. I hope to get around to playing it in the next few days.

googlymoogly and scotti like this.
  16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Has anyone’s Cornbread preorder from Amazon shipped yet? Mine hasn’t, pretty doubtful it’ll arrive tomorrow

17. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

I got my shipping notice this morning for delivery tomorrow.

scotti and guidedbyvoices like this.
  18. chuckgay

chuckgay Forum Resident

Mine still show that they are arriving tomorrow, but do not indicate that they've been shipped. Fingers still crossed, but thankfully I have last week's 80th releases to keep me busy. What a fantastic Blue Note June. Cool stuff arriving just about every Friday.

aoxomoxoa, scotti and guidedbyvoices like this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Mine has, indeed, shipped. Arriving tomorrow by.....11pm??

Twinsfan007 and scotti like this.
  20. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I was reading this article on Pitchfork about Bill Hader and albums that he liked throughout his life, and was surprised to see Cornbread on there as a recent find based on a friends recommendation. article link below.

Bill Hader on the Music That Made Him | Pitchfork

21. Jonathan Wallick

Jonathan Wallick Well-Known Member

I preordered both Shing-A-Ling and Cornbread at the same time, and they both listed 6/21 as their release date. Shing-A-Ling shipped and will be delivered tomorrow. I got an update a few days ago from Amazon saying that Cornbread has not shipped, and is not scheduled to be delivered until 6/26. Not sure if Amazon has stock issues or what??

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I just picked up Mr Shing-A Ling...Nice looking cover, non gate fold and the vinyl looks great. As I said, my copy of Cornbread is still baking, the risk sometimes buying these from an Indie, had to wait weeks for the Wayne Shorter, not sure I will be that patient for this one. But both Face To Face and Clubhouse are in stock and I can buy them next Thursday.

Tonight, its all about my new Indie white vinyl of The Raconteurs "Help Me Stranger"...of course I will do the Shing-A-Ling later...can't wait for feedback on these, good luck to all with orders placed!

23. Xulio

Xulio Forum Resident

Came back home today with Mr. Shing A Ling excited. Just to find out that the kids neighbors that my wife hosted (they had locked themselves out)... have broken the 2 weeks old stylus of my Grado Reference 2! Heartbroken

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I'm heartbroken for you as well...that just ain't right!

25. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I got charged for that and Lou Donaldson yesterday. Amazon says it'll be delivered tomorrow.

scotti likes this.