Deadwood Coming back!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I think you're both misunderstanding the comment... In the movie, they actually showed Al's severed finger during the flashback. In the series, you didn't see that. You saw Hearst swing the hammer, and Al recoil from pain and almost pass out. They eventually made it clear that his finger was cut off, but in the original scene it could've just been smashed (or his hand), or actually severed.

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I like how they gave each character, even the minor ones a showcase of sorts

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Why does everyone assume Al is dead? Obviously his condition is dire but his defiant last words and the lingering shot on his hand movement struck me as ambiguous, not definitive at all.

trumpet sounds and Dave Hoos like this.
  4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I thought that Al would get temporarily rejuvenated from Wu's tea and he would kill Hearst at the end, or at least have one his men do it.

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i tried to like this post twice

GodShifter likes this.
  6. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

That's what I thought too. They've left themselves an out just in case they decide to do one more.

trumpet sounds and DreamIsOver like this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Not dead, but in the process of dying from liver failure. The real life version of Al Swearengen was murdered in 1904.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Finished watching the entire series (again!) last night, simply magnificent! Another aspect of the tale is interesting. I've read about the true history of Deadwood and apparently, it was burned down to the ground at one point. Throughout the series, Milch, that clever c*********r, always referenced fire. Hinting and teasing, Al declared he'd burn the camp down numerous times, the establishment of the fire brigade, Charlie Utter telling Tom what a tinderbox Deadwood was, and other little tidbits. I always felt this was yet another example of Milch's genius. Throughout Deadwood's run, including the movie, in the back of my mind I was always half-expecting some sort of cataclysmic fire. It woulda fit perfect at the end of the series, OR at the end of the movie!;)

9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Ha, we got snow instead

trumpet sounds and Dave Hoos like this.
  10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

While not perfect, I've seen many, many reunion movies and follow-up movies and I really can't think of one that comes close to being as good as this one, and as faithful to the series and the characters.

11. Dave Hoos

And we got it again in the movie. Bullock setting Hearst's lumber ablaze and then Al mentioning fire a few scenes later.

Chazro likes this.
  12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I found the dialog to be unnecessarily stilted during the first half hour or so, and it proved to be a distraction. The rest--bringing all the familiar cast members together to play out one last big drama- worked. I wanted more Ian McShane because he was the fire of the show. The brief meeting between McShane and Wu could never reprise the original, timeless scene between them.
    Apart from the issues I had with the dialog, it was good, not great. It brought closure to the story rather than adding any new dimension, which was unsurprising. It didn't leave me unsatisfied, but I did find it somewhat depressing -- perhaps because it showed that time takes its toll. I don't regret watching it and am glad Milch (and the cast) had the opportunity to do this.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  13. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

14. Oboe

Oboe Well-Known Member

Would you recommend the new Deadwood release to somebody who cares about their crevice?

Dave Hoos likes this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Huh?

Dave Hoos and GentleSenator like this.
  16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Was watching the movie (again!) last night. Interesting to note; the final scene between Al and Sol has Al giving him some 'advice' about getting into politics, it was his 'wedding gift'. In reality, Sol Starr became Mayor of Deadwood (sorry E.B.!) and held the office for 10 years! Once again Milch, that clever c********r, sprinkling tidbits like a Masterchef adding spices to a meal!;)

Ghostworld and Dave Hoos like this.
  17. Dave Hoos

Indeed I would. They would have course had to have seen the series in full.

Bruncher.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

To me, this keeps films interesting. I find characters more interesting than most re-tread plots, so a plethora of supporting characters enriches any story.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  19. Dave Hoos

Especially these characters.

20. Oboe

Oboe Well-Known Member

My crevice is awfully judgemental and loathes reunion projects more than Benjamin "Jammy" Jenkins from Tyrepower Eltham loathes pinenuts in his ciabatta on a Sunday.

But I feel I need to experience it, at least once.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  21. Dave Hoos

I was in Eltham yesterday. No sign of "Jammy" though. I waited as long as I could considering the mess he left the Berlina in the last time I saw him.

You did need to see it. Probably more than once too. As with all things regarding Deadwood, it stands up to repeated viewing.

22. Oboe

Oboe Well-Known Member

It's like classical music to me (crevice). When you put classical music on, no matter how mundane (rectum) the task at hand is, it just feels more important and enjoyable. It's like a coat of quality on something. Deadwood, is the same. The clothing, the furniture, the whole vibe of the show just gives a really (Robert) nice atmosphere I reckon.

It's still hard to believe that it's been around 15 years since the series started.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  23. Dave Hoos

You're right about that (trousers). It's one of those shows that I can put on whenever I feel liked watching something and it never feels liked I've seen it too many times. It's just that good (Mortimer's crevice).

Of course, I'm generally watching it alone as Mrs Hoos can only handle it in a 'once in a while' basis (Onion derby). She likes it, but not to the point where she could watch it anytime, anywhere like me (I'm a bruncher).

24. Oboe

Oboe Well-Known Member

I think one of the things I like about it is I don't have to see modern annoyances. High quality stuff.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  25. Dave Hoos

Even Al hates it when he sees the telegraph poles being put up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.