'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

I won't be buying a replacement of it, but thanks for getting me to put Cornbread on. I have a 60s NY labels stereo of it, sounds glorious. I will buy some tone poets of stuff I am missing I suspect.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  2. Same here and I'm near you in Seattle. Seattle folks usually get the local delivery people who head out in the morning. I suspect I'll get a notice overnight.

3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Same

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Jazz flute? The younger me hated it. The somewhat older (than the younger) me is now lovin' it!

[​IMG]

5. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Wow - I'm sorry to hear that. I have the Grado Statement Reference 2 and love it - would not be happy to have to replace that stylus so soon. Well, maybe it's an opportunity to upgrade to the Statement ;-)

Xulio likes this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm hoping your neighbors are going to do the right thing and replace it.

bluemooze and Joti Cover like this.
  7. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Oh, that sucks!
    It happened to me same thing last year with my 2 years old twins, when they destroyed my beloved AT 440 MLb...:cussing:

Xulio likes this.
  8. G E

G E Senior Member

!

9. G E

G E Senior Member

I too have a Grado Statement Reference.

Stylus replacement isn’t cheap. May be hard to find funds to simply have it retipped let alone upgrade.

I doubt any recompense can be expected from the parents. They’d probably think a fiver would cover it.

No win situation.

10. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Just got a shipping notice for Lou Donaldson for tomorrow. The Cornbread still says that it is waiting to be shipped.

scotti likes this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Talk about getting your "Shing-A-Ling" strutting down the runway of awesome sound! Yeah Baby!

This Tone Poet series once again is with out a doubt, the gift that keeps on giving! Joe Harley, please keep these amazing sounding albums coming our way! You really need your own Fan Club! This one is very special indeed!

12. Xulio

Xulio Forum Resident

Oh man! I can’t imagine how the Statement sound like.

We don’t want to tell the parents. They would feel bad and wouldn’t allow the kids to come to see us and that would suck more.
    Thank you all for your sympathy and sorry to derail this thread but made me kinda feel better to share and hear your experiences.
    We streamed Mr Shing à Ling instead and my wife loved it. the Allmusic review is horrible by the way.

Mr. Shing-A-Ling - Lou Donaldson | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    GarySteel, IanL, jphabc54 and 7 others like this.
  13. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Cornbread arriving today. I have the original, the only one I have that has TP release which sounds really lively so keen to compare the level of improvement.

scotti and Joti Cover like this.
  14. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Dodax has both Cornbread and Mr. Shing-a-Ling available for €21.99! Go get them guys.

EDIT: Cornbread has both the Tone Poet and the 75th for the same price. Make sure of which one you buy!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yeah they nailed this one, didn't they? "but the lack of energy and enthusiasm the group has for the material makes Mr. Shing-A-Ling a bit of a tiring listen"...I guess that's why I boogied down with both feet a tapping through the entire listen! Yeah Allmusic got this one right, NOT!

Xulio, Joti Cover and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Not seeing this, please link

Joti Cover likes this.
  17. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

They had the Cassandra Wilson for 21.99 as well. I ordered it a week ago - nothing happened so far. You have to be careful because I think they ship from Switzerland which means the order has to be below 22€ to be free of customs charges. (That's why a lot of products cost 21.99). I will wait until I see what happens with my first order.

18. chuckgay

chuckgay Forum Resident

Just received the official notification from Amazon this morning that Cornbread will be served on Wednesday the 26th instead of today.

scotti and Mazzy like this.
  19. Same here.

scotti likes this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Making more sense now why my local store is running late getting it as well. If things go right, then there will be three new Tone Poet titles coming next week, oh yeah!

21. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Mine was bumped to Thursday. No complaints as I’m only paying $22 for it and the Lou Donaldson is out for delivery today.

scotti likes this.
  22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Wed for me too, and agreed - for $21 I can wait. Just was hoping to enjoy it tonight with a few cocktails!

scotti and Mazzy like this.
  23. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

Whaaaaa cornbread will be delivered to me next friday!

24. Latech

Latech Forum Resident

My Amazon order for Cornbread has shipped and says arriving tomorrow by 9pm

scotti likes this.
  25. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Lee Morgan: Cornbread (Tone Poet reissue) Sounding great! Really liking how Kevin Gray does Blue Notes.
    [​IMG]

Ken.e., djost, bluemooze and 13 others like this.