New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

You have been very wise to purchase the extra laser assemblies, however there are several things that go out on these players, especially the SCD-1. It would be my luck something other than the dual laser assembly is the problem. In my case, mine plays SACDs, but will not play CDs. I have been told this is an unusual problem, as most fail first on the SACD side! I just know, one of these days, I am going to get really lucky and meet some nice person that knows all about my SCD-1 and he is going to tell me, sure, I can get it back up and running, and it won't cost me $1,000.00 to get it done, until that day, I will just spin the SACDs on it. One thing is for sure, it will never go back to Laredo Texas! :confused:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Having personally repaired and recalibrated at least a dozen different SCD-777ESs, and SCD-1s over the years, I'm very aware of all of the common failure modes for these players. And yes, the laser is only one of its 3 big weak points.

However those two players feature a unique transport which proved to have weaknesses that more conventional transports do not. And the XA5400 does not share this transport. So a spare laser assembly, combined with a service manual will likely be sufficient for an ailing 5400 in the future.

3. musicera1969

musicera1969 Member

-----------------------------------------

I am with you on that!

IF I could - I would also like the Pioneer SACD - CD player PD-70AE - take an look at the innards of this work of art. It is NOT made for U.S. markets. Do not buy the Japan models - they operate at 100 volts. Plug that in here it will FRY.
    Hmmm - maybe I can get underwood to modify it.

Another is the Denon DCD 2500NE - not for U.S. markets.

I DO feel slighted!

bruce2 likes this.
  4. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hear you I wish we had more options for affordable SACD players. Someone mentioned the Marantz SA-12 available in Japan. I am hoping maybe when the Ruby is done they will offer the SA-12 here at a more affordable price, say under $3000.

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Both the Pioneer PD-70AE and the Denon DCD 2500NE are available for the UK market. Heck, both models are also available in a tiny market such as Hong Kong.

Yet, in a relatively large market such as the US, we don't get the good stuff.

So I will quote Marvin Gaye....What's going on?

George P likes this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I auditioned a mint 5400 a few years ago next to a Marantz SA8005. The Marantz sounded much better, it wasn't close. Superior dynamics and transparency. The 5400 sounded smooth and nice but dull compared to the 8005.
    Unless Marantz made a back slide with the SA KI Ruby it should be light years ahead of the Sony.

PATB, Rolltide, bruce2 and 1 other person like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

A salesman I know pretty well at my local hifi shop told me that he heard the Ruby at a customer's house and was blown away. He couldn't stop saying good things about it, and he's usually a man of few words.

bradleyc and TarnishedEars like this.
  8. The Sony XA-5400's sound really started competing with the most expensive digital front-ends when modded.

caupina likes this.
  9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I've never heard a 5400. But I own a (now broken) SCD-1, and I can attest that this was definitely true with that model of Sony. Stock SDC-1s sounded great, but with the right mods, these could sound amazing.

caupina likes this.
  10. musicera1969

musicera1969 Member

-------------------------------------------------
    SA12 - in Japan.......I called Marantz - this is not going to happen. And Pioneer said - I will not see an 120 volt unit Pioneer PD-70AE

The reason: The U.S. market is all about MP3 compressed music; ear buds and personal audio devices. Equipment as being discussed on this forum is very popular in Europe and Asia.
    Not my opinion that's what was said to me on the phone.

Slippers-on likes this.
  11. musicera1969

musicera1969 Member

------------------------------------
    Called yesterday - will not happen

12. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

Think they will make a ruby lite? :)

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Sigh :rolleyes:

14. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

The garnet?

15. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

16. musicera1969

musicera1969 Member

----------------------------------------------------
    If that should ever happen - please post the details here. I can use it for an Cayin SCD -50T SACD player now an dumb 38 pound box of fine electronics.
    I also have extra transports/laser for the Disc players. Replaced the ribbon cables, verified the soldering, the ground, cleaned the connections, tuned the laser and verified motor speed. IT no longer 'knows' what to do when a button is pressed. All I get is 'no disc' and invalid
    No repair facility desires to repair it including the Cayin manager in Germany

17. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I can believe it...and not surprised.

18. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I purchased this locally at The Audio Connection last week and am very happy
    With it! Beautiful audio! Purchase price was much lower than Music Direct.
    My stereo dealer says the break- in time is about 100 hours.
    He also mentioned that this player sounds much better with an amp
    That is not Marantz

Bill Mac and George P like this.
  19. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Did he say why?

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

I don't see The Audio Connection listed as an authorized dealer on the Marantz website. Is this correct? If not authorized, I believe Marantz will not honor the 5 year warranty.

bradleyc and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  21. That's likely why he said any amp, but Marantz.

bradleyc likes this.
  22. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I think he was referring to the Marantz Ruby Integrated. For some reason
    The sacd player sounded better with other options....

23. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I just spoke with John at the Audio Connection. He said he has been an authorized Marantz dealer for 5 years...

Bill Mac likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What a nice looking player! I'm sure it sounds excellent. Enjoy :)!
    Will the Pearl Lite be available in the US? What is the price in USD? Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thats good. Double checking with Marantz by phone just to be sure might be good to do. Maybe their website is out of date.