Mark Linett on Beach Boys' remixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vidiot, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I haven't seen this posted yet, but this video popped up today from the UK Sound on Sound magazine...

Whatever you think of Linett's remixes (I'm generally a fan), I think his thought process is interesting and he goes into a lot of detail as to what tapes are lost, what tapes still exist, what was digitally extracted, and his process in terms of remixing and mastering.

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Thanks for posting. Lots of good info

tug_of_war likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

iloud Micro Monitors $300 “ how scarily accurate they are”

Look cheap plasticy things. Guess part of the modern house studio set-up.

4. alexpop

Fascinating stuff. European 50 years copyright rule suggests more BB box sets ( physical media) in the future.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Thanks so much.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Mark had full-range Tannoys the last time I visited him in the 1990s, so my guess is that the small monitors are just the "real world" speakers (kind of like the Auratones or Yamaha NS-10M's from the 1980s).

ad180, audiomixer and alexpop like this.
  7. alexpop

Iloud..
    Cheap as chips looking. Apparently they do the job. Get that AM radio mix. :)

8. alexpop

Mark ?
    Incredible knowledgeable. Spoke for a full 30 minutes with no sip of water( cool cool water). Clip ? Great source of information for BB fans.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Sammy Banderas likes this.
  9. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I just wish he would sort out the appalling stereo remix of California Girls - vocals are out of sync with the backing (too early by a shade enough that it's noticeable) and too much reverb to hide the fact - I did a better job myself using the acapella track and the instrumental, and I'm an amateur.

Dropbox - 15 California Girls stereo mix 2017.wav - Simplify your life

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    supermd and tug_of_war like this.
  10. Vidiot

Eh, every good interviewer shoots a couple of hours of material, gives the subject a chance to take a break, and provides them with a water bottle just off camera in case they get thirsty sitting under the hot lights.... and then they chop the boring parts out to get 20-30 minutes of good material. But Linett is sharp and articulate and knows what he's talking about. I dunno if he could tell them publicly, but he has several hundred stories and could easily write a book on his experiences.

11. alexpop

Like the bit where he mentions he has a museum room with vintage gear, preferably working.

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Thank you, for sharing that.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  13. alexpop

1979 CBS fire a lot of master tapes were lost.

14. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

But the stereo remix was originally done in something like 2002 and I listened to the 2015 stereo version and it sounds the same drenched in reverb, vocals slightly out of sync mix...

15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The first mix on the original Endless Harmony Cd is the best. The remix missed the mark.

16. Vidiot

Yeah, Mark was not kidding when he talked about buying dozens of Pultecs and all kinds of amazing analog compressors and limiters... and has an amazing mic collection as well.

Leviethan and dormouse like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for the link...I enjoyed it even though I am not a fan of remixes...

18. Michael

I can appreciate a remix of an album that was NEVER released in stereo as it's changing nothing that wasn't already instilled into the memory. : )

MarkusGermany likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Mark has said before, "hey, if you don't want the stereo, just listen to the original mono mixes." Consider the stereo just an alternative, just like the outtakes and unreleased stuff.

20. alexpop

I thought they’d be more reply’s /posts in this thread. Where’s the Beach Boys fans here ?

tug_of_war likes this.
  21. Michael

What does that have to do with my post? I'm missing something here? : )

I always wanted true Stereo everything ...mono for me is an afterthought and unfortunate...

MarkusGermany likes this.
  22. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Thanks for the video link, was very interesting and enjoyable.

What is true stereo?

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Please let’s move on, whether you dislike remixes or mono, etc. This has the potential to be an interesting thread. I’d hate to see it blowup. Enough already.

D.B. likes this.
  24. Michael

self explanatory...

25. Vidiot

You said "as it's changing nothing that wasn't already instilled into the memory." Some of Mark Linett's stereo mixes are new stereo mixes of songs that did exist in 2-track stereo (vocals on one channel, instruments in the other, or some other unbalanced version), and he made an attempt to make a more "modern" balanced stereo mix. I think there were a lot of bad stereo mixes done in the 1960s, and sometimes it's possible to find the multitracks and attempt a new version. Is it better or worse? It's a subjective call. But there is such a thing as bad stereo, including the original 1960s stereo mixes. In those cases, I think sometimes the mono is better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.