'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, I dont know. I understand Im not suppose to like this jazz interpretation of "Ode To Billy Joe" according to one particular sites review. Ill remain enjoying it because to me the drums drive with consistent rhythmic soul and the reoccuring hook is just fun as hell to listen to. I almost passed on this one. Im glad I didnt. Its a fun listen. And sounds great! Music should bring some joy. If it does that then it has accomplished a very good goal.

The drums on these Tone Poet releases seem to really come through well!

2. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I agree with you, the overall sound of the tone poet series does seem a lot better.
    I'm not liking it, I'm loving it!

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I played through it on YouTube, and it lost me at the first cut. It just didn't grab me. Hey, I'll give it another listen, but it left me shrugging my shoulders at first listen.

99khan likes this.
  4. AnalogJ

Funky? Give me James Brown or even Herbie's Chameleon if I ever ask for funky.

AFA likes this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Of course respect your opinion, but played it for my wife last night and once the needled dropped on Ode To Billy Joe, she hopped out of her bar stool and funk fest 2019 got started! This one sounds oh so sweet! Not the most complex record mind you, but this has such a cool groove going on that it goes down easy like a Friday evening cocktail if you will...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Nice comments! I almost passed on this one simply because I was like how can he pull off "Ode To Billy Joe", never mind, foolish thought. The only other title I was on the fence with is the Donald Byrd "Chant", then I noticed Mr. Hancock is on piano with Pepper Adams on baritone sax, and that's good enough for me.

Last night my wife told me, I want the rest of the releases in this first series and all in round two as well, even not knowing what they are yet (you just can't break up the full set, she said)...damn, my wife is the bomb! Finally a lover of Jazz, hooray!

7. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

So this isn't your first rodeo, huh? :D

Lucky guy, I wish mine told me "Please go ahead and spend €1000 on a whole series of vinyl records, honey!"

frightwigwam, AFA and scotti like this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Usually my kids run the heck away from the room when I drop some jazz on the TT, but they not only stay for mr shing a ling, they actually get up and dance all weird and funky around me in the room, like they can’t help themselves with the music. I really should take a video and post it on their wedding days or something when they grow up.

9. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

Thanks for being honest. We don't have to like (and eventually buy) every reissue that comes our way, Blue note or otherwise. Personally, even if I have excess cash flow for records, I don't think my buying habits are going to change that dramatically. I never ever buy just to "own" or "collect". I buy because I like the artist and enjoy the music. But what if I like hundreds of titles? Does that mean I have to buy and own every one of them? Somehow, I have to draw the line somewhere. I try not to be swayed that much by what other people purchase...sure, I'll give it a listen. But at the end of the day, it is I who decides what belongs in my library. I don't have to own everything. Don't get me wrong...I do get influenced by others on occasion.

I too did not order Mr. Shing-A-Ling. It's good music and I am sure it sounds fantastic. But there are many more Tone Poet and 80th Anniversary releases in the pipeline that I would rather have so I'll pass up on this one...for now.

10. I felt the same way about the title. It didn’t connect with me and so I will end up passing on it (for now). Great thing about life and music is that we can all experience it differently at different times and can always come back to it!

11. My delayed Cornbread just shipped from Amazon arriving Sunday.m

And Mr Ding A Ling is like a great jazzy blues album. Very 70s soundtrack style.

scotti likes this.
  12. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

“My Ding A Ling”.......definitely a very 70’s type of tune.
    Oh wait...........

MikeK, hutlock and recstar24 like this.
  13. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Autocorrect? Or a Freudian slip :laugh:?

scotti and Mazzy like this.
  14. Maybe both.

hutlock, Ryan_Pretzel and Eigenvector like this.
  15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I feel the same. It gets a bit overwhelming. As Mr. Monk would say..."It's a blessing ....and a curse" Honestly,when I first saw the release lists from both TP's and 80th I knew I'd only be in for a handful. Personally,per title,I was a little disappointed but glad that there are a lot of others who are really enjoying each release. I like to browse here often just to see the feedback :thumbsup: or :thumbsdow.

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Another cool thing about the groove of "Mr. Shing-A-Ling" is that its got me really excited for the new Quentin Tarantino movie "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood". I went and saw the new John Wick movie on Fathers Day (awesome flick by the way) and they showed previews to it. This looks so cool and did he ever nail the look and feel of the late 60's, and the music that goes along with it is sweet.

I will also add that Jimmy Ponder's guitar work on this really adds to the over all sound. I know one has to stream when unsure, but when you hear how amazing this master is (Kevin "Set The Controls For The Heart of The Sun" Gray delivers once again) on vinyl, you really get its style much better, at least we did.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  17. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Many thanks. I’ve bought from them many times via Amazon U.K. but they don’t always offer all titles via them. They are truly excellent sellers; on more than one occasion I’ve received faulty pressings and they immediately replace it and not ask for the old copy back so I will definitely be book marking their site from now on:goodie:

Dai and dastinger like this.
  18. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Wow, I LOVE Mr. Shing-A-Ling! Totally did not expect that from just sampling on Spotify. Now I am really excited for Cornbread.

19. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yeah, I totally respect this, and when I saw the lists, I thought I'd be in for only a few of them too. But one of the cool things I'm finding is that exploring beyond my normal preferences has opened me up to styles I usually don't give much attention. The TP's, overall, seem to be more interesting selections, and sound a little better than the BN80, most likely because Joe's in control. Whether it's the soul jazz from Donaldson, the big band sound from Evans, or hearing Henderson up-and-close live, they've all pushed the limits for me and have been a real treat.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think these titles are taking off in popularity. One of my local record shops was getting them in until recently. Their order was either delayed or backordered on the last two...

21. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I agree, and somewhat perplexed why. I mean, the BN80’s I have received are quiet and have no major pressing defects. The Tone Poet releases have the Music Matters sound to them, but that just cannot be because of RTI.

22. AnalogJ

I have a lot of funk. From several of Herbie Hancock's ventures, to many albums of James Brown's (I saw him a half dozen times live from the late '70s onward, and even danced with him once. ), to Tower Of Power (many albums and many concerts), to Earth, Wind and Fire.

To me, Mr. Shing-A-Ling comes off as "funk-light". There are some individual moments on the album, individual solos, or some nice drum work laid down, but overall, the treatment of the tunes sound safe and conservative.

If this is an intro to funky for some, great. But it's so safe to my ears, I keep wanting to get to something either more challenging, or more funky.

By the way, I think Grant Green's '70s offerings achieve a better, more satisfying funk, though not my favorite either.

Of course, this is my opinion. But to keep things real, I thought it was worth chiming in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2019
    bluejimbop, Ryan_Pretzel and scotti like this.
  23. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Soul Jazz is quite different from Soul/Funk. If you want this era of Lou to remind of James Brown or Tower Of Power then it won’t make a lot of musical sense, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2019
  24. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

Listening to Mr. Shing-a-ling right now. It is a revelation compared to my Liberty pressing.

I would love to hear a Tone Poet pressing of Donald Byrd - Electric Byrd. This one hasn't been repressed in a while.

Mr. Shing-a-ling is also making me think I'll have to pick up the 80th of Ethiopian Knights. I have always loved that record.

Joe Harley, scotti and hutlock like this.
  25. AnalogJ

Well, I have plenty of what has been referred to as "Soul Jazz" in Grant Green records from the '60s. In fact, his records have been among my favorites since I started buying MM (and TP) records. That distinction existed in more or less straight ahead jazz. Funk, which Green put into his '70s output, is what I think of when it comes to funk style. MSAL approaches more easy listening to my ears than I like.

But I'm going to give it another listen, to give it another chance.

Meanwhile, I got my copy of Cornbread in the mail. I don't know if I'll have a chance to listen to it until later in the week. I'm doing a few days of out-of-town work that I have to prepare for. And I still have to listen to Glamoured.

scotti likes this.