Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I feel the exact opposite But it's cool that we all have different views :)
    I'm so overwhelmed for this release. :)

2. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

I think one of the main points of excitement is the fact that we're getting our first HD Floyd live film. I'm fact, I think it was the only one that was shot properly with film, outside of Live at Pompeii, anyway, but correct me if I'm wrong.

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There were plenty of films from The Early Years with brand new HD film transfers.

4. xXFloydianXx

I knew I was missing something. Well at least, the first HD Floyd live film with Mr Screen!

rontoon likes this.
  5. central616

central616 Forum Resident

I love the three post-Waters albums, but I have the sensation that, musically speaking, this box would offer very little or literally nothing. I don't think there's much left in the vaults from this era. And if La Carrera Panemericana won't be included, I won't spent a penny on the box.

vitorbastos123 and Kim Olesen like this.
  6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm at the whole other end of the measuring tape. I had no interest in the Early Years box, but the latter years are right up my street and may well cause me to spend too much on Pink Floyd music. :D

Mind, it depends on what we're talking about here. On the face of it though, they're getting me excited.

7. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Same here, except when it's stuffed with demos and outtakes.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  8. xXFloydianXx

9. floydfan2410

There's also a Wall show shot on film yet to be released.

andrewskyDE and JediJoker like this.
  10. xXFloydianXx

D'oh, forgot that one too. I hope we get that at some point as well.

Anyway, back ot, I really like the artwork used for the take it back edit that was put up recently on Spotify. I don't think I've seen that specific version of the stone heads before. I'm used to the cassette version.

11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Was that another quietly released preview track then?

rontoon likes this.
  12. xXFloydianXx

Someone yesterday said that it has already been available for a little while now. So not too new.

13. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Not Sure what the big deal is with High Hopes Radio Edit, it's not new I have had this on a CD Single since 1994.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The big deal is that Pink Floyd is featuring music and photos from The Later Years' era on their social media platforms as teasers leading up to the big official announcement expected shortly. I'm assuming that the promo videos can't be too far away.

The guitars have been sold so it should be full steam ahead for this release!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It's a slow but certain start! Just a little tease

16. floydfan2410

Calm before the storm.
    This is one of the best times to be a fan, eagerly awaiting a new box set release, and these little teasers only adds to the excitement. I remember how amazing it was when The Early Years was announced and the entire content was revealed. I remember constantly reading the list with excitement :)
    I'm sure I'll do the same this time although the list is most likely shorter.

Instant Dharma, Hush, zinan and 6 others like this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

This is extra exciting for me because I'm not as familiar with the Dave Floyd years. I probably have mentioned this before but I only really know PULSE which I watched on TV when I was first getting into Pink Floyd in general (like, it took me a while to get used to Roger singing Shine On even!) and I know the stuff that gets played on the radio and all, but the only album I have is Endless River. Not sure why I've waited this long to dig in, but hey, maybe my waiting paid off!

coffeetime, Simon A and rontoon like this.
  18. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’d most definitely buy these box sets if they were issued. Late Pink Floyd (especially Animals through The Division Bell) is my favorite period of the band.

19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I get that it's been hot and cold around here with some people who'd be excited for anything Pink Floyd related to see release on one side and folks who really don't rank the post-Waters era at all.

That out of the way, I'm going to take a moment for a happy dance for the fact that this era is even getting the compilation (and hopefully rarities) treatment. Bring it on!

[​IMG]

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The entire enterprise, for me, will have value based on what they give us up to and including The Final Cut. The Dave Floyd years are of little interest. If the box is weighted on the Dave Years side of things, I'd have to carefully think about a big purchase.

I guess it stands to reason they'd have more material from the latter years post Waters.... but here's hoping they do something major for the Waters era.

21. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

I've seen it as a bootleg, even if the quality if improved it's not hard to see why it was excluded from the Wall movie, sadly. It's good to see as a historical document.

22. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

It's already been done the immersion box set's from a few years ago DSOTM, WYWH The Wall and from the DSOTM era to The Wall there is little pro shot footage out there as they did not document it at all in the 70's. Except The Wall footage and the footage included in Wall immersion release.

23. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Given the less than optimal results of the footage shot of the 80/81 The Wall shows, I can understand why it was considered unusable/unreleasable, even with a decent photochemical restoration. If the clip included on The Wall Immersion set is anything to go by, a digital restoration for home video looks as though it might be possible. The Happiest Days clip is entirely watchable and leaves one wishing and hoping for more.

Roger put together a cut of the original Floyd The Wall concert footage when conceiving his 2010-2013 The Wall shows. I’d like to imagine the restored Immersion clip was taken from this (I’ve no way of knowing for sure).

Given that Floyd/Roger have countenanced the release of some historically significant footage that is less than pristine (live audio on the 1967 Cambridge St/ation, and both audio & video footage on the Continu/ation set) that Floyd/Roger might eventually countenance the release of a restored Floyd The Wall concert film.

I can understand that between Roger’s Us+Them film, Nick’s Saucerful live release, The Later Year box, David’s guitar auction and the mooted Animals 5.1 mix, Camp Floyd has more than enough to contend with and co-ordinate at the moment.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

True to an extent - but there was no 5-1 of The Wall, nothing from Final Cut, and nothing from Animals. So it's an incomplete view. I actually own all the Immersion Sets. I guess we're going to have to wait and see.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

It's my understanding the forthcoming Later Years box will only include the Gilmour Floyd era.

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.