Steven Wilson starts recording a new album: "The Future Bites" (29th January 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 26, 2019.

1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Looks sweet. Can’t wait.

Of course, a Blu-ray of the new mix of In Absentia would tide me over nicely in the meantime...

mark winstanley and ponkine like this.
  3. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Always look forward to hearing what he's up to. Busy times....new No-Man, Blackfield 6 in progress, and the next solo album.

4. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Wonder if this will be tangerene dream influenced...

TheSaltman and ponkine like this.
  5. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Is Ninet on board?

6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Hopefully not!

Too much of her.
    I'd like a Steven Wilson album WITHOUT female vocals

DLeet, Lethrus, rockclassics and 7 others like this.
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Prog. Good. I could never really get behind the last one.

8. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Well, I personally like Ninet's contributions, but I am ready for him to move in yet another different direction with the new record.

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Honestly, my only hope for it is that it's again another left turn, and sounds unlike anything else he's done so far. There aren't many artists left that can do a new record, and yet you have no idea what it's going to sound like. If he hooked up all these old synths and did an all-analog new-wave-tinged synthpop record, I'd be 100% here for it.

10. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Plenty Mellotron please :).

11. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yes, please.

13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

All four of his solo albums since he disbanded PT have been excellent, and I have no doubt that this next one will be no worse than really good. SW never disappoints this fan.

14. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

The last album has one or two songs I really dislike but it's the one I turned on when I felt like SW recently after a while of ignorance. It was a lot of fun! And where ever he goes, I hope for Ninet :winkgrin:

15. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

Funniest thing ever...[​IMG][/QUOTE]

16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Precisely. This is what kept me interested inPorcupine Tree, and later in Steven’s solo work, while many other acts lose my interest after 3 or 4 albums. What I ask mainly from the next SW album is that it surprise me.

17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Does that mean you are not a fan ofInsurgentes? Not that there is anything wrong with disliking an album, I am justlooking for clarification.

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The engl. Prog band Haken released a 80's Pop-Prog album and returned with a heavy Prog album last year. I hope SW will do a Rock or Prog record, but please.... no boring Pop like "To the Bone."

19. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

This is great news, indeed! I’ll most definitely be interested in hearing what he does next. I really loved The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories) and Hand. Cannot. Erase. I really would love it if he did another Bass Communion album.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  20. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Wish he would gather some great musicians around.

21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

To The Bone has some songs which for me rank among his best, particularly Nowhere Now and Refuge (even though the latter channels Peter Gabriel a little too much).

There are many other fine moments but I think Permanenting should have been a non-album single because it upsets the flow (not saying this because I dislike the song) and Same Asylum As Before is rather derivative to the point where it bugs (hypocritical given that I like Refuge so much). I rank To The Bone at the bottom end of the SW solo canon but still would rate it a 7.5-8 out of 10.

As such, I expect another direction out of the next album, not so much because I want this but because that has been SW's thing for all these years. Looking forward to this, and more no-man, Blackfield, and whatever else his muse wants to share with us.

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I couldn't get into the first two much, but he's been on a roll. I can't wait to see what the new one brings, given how diverse the last three were.

23. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Hope so, an amazing singer who's suited to what he writes, she takes those songs up to another level

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Vinny123, mikedifr0923, ds58 and 3 others like this.
  24. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I was late into the SW and worked myself backwards. He's come on leapes and bounds as a songwriter as those first two suck.

25. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

He always does

progmanjum and murrays like this.