Technics SL-G700 Grand Class Network Streamer/Super Audio CD Player thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, Jun 23, 2019.

1. russk

russk Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really haven’t seen any discussion of this player. Anyone else interested in this? As I’m looking to streamline my system this is toward the top of my list for replacing my Rega DACr/Surface Pro setup.

The Grand Class Network/Super Audio CD Player SL-G700 for a Wide Range of Music Sources in the Highest Possible Quality | News | Technics US

It can handle SACDs in their native format and has a ton of connectivity. I really like the Apple Air Play 2 and Tidal features. It even does MQA if that ever becomes an issue.

What do you guys think?

2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I think that will be the last cd/sacd player you will ever need.

mreeter likes this.
  3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It's a very nice-looking unit. Hard to know what it actually will sound like or how good the interface will be, but it certainly looks well-designed and quite promising.

At €2500/$3000 it's not cheap, but on the other hand it's a good deal less than some of the $5-$6000 and up disc players (and outboard DACs, for that matter) from audiophile brands.

George P likes this.
  4. russk

Because the formats are dying or it will be a quality product :laugh:

Aussie Music Lover and KT88 like this.
  5. russk

I’m hoping the interface and functionality is decent and of course hope it sounds good. If it lives up to its potential then I think I’ll pick one up. Lately I’ve been placing more emphasis on accessibility than getting that last nth degree of sound quality. I find that by doing that a lot more music is being played in my house, which I really dig.

If it is a flop then I’m thinking the new Pioneer UHD LX500 with the Modwright Mods which total out at around $2500.00. I am betting it will sound great but I’ll be loosing out on a lot of the functionality I’m hoping to get with the Technics.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Looking forward to it. Although it's the last thing that matters, I'm curious why no aptx Bluetooth and only AAC, SBC? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the former supposedly better than those latter ones?

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Somehow I am hoping that SACD playback capability can be "trickle down" to Panasonic's Blu-ray players.

8. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Comes in Black as well, a plus for me

[​IMG]

BrooklynEars, VVK, George P and 3 others like this.
  9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

So, still no user reports? I'm curious if the front panel knob works as a volume control when the unit is in variable output mode.

George P likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

I'd also like to hear some user reports. Anyone get this?

12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

14. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I am considering some streaming options including the Aurilac G1 , Marantz 30n and this unit. This one looks really nice especially since it checks all the boxes including MQA and Quibuz (I don’t think the Marantz does those) not sure if the Aurilac has that. But this unit has been getting rave reviews. Anyone have one that can chime in to its quality with streaming and/or SACD/CD? :).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I have been eyeing the below "open box" Technics....

Technics-SL-G700-SACD-Network-Player-Black-SL-G700-K-OPEN-BOX

MikeJedi likes this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

any updated impressions on this one?

Helom likes this.
  17. Doesn't appear to do Qobuz.
    The interfacing will a sack of sh1t, which is where most audio companies get it wrong.

russk likes this.
  18. russk

The player kicks ass. Beautifully made. Great sound. Garbage interface.

You can stream with it but like everyone else they struggle big time with the software. More than most actually. Honestly I was really excited about this one but my Bluesound Node is just a way better streamer.

As an SACD player though. Very nice.

Still on my list of high end players if they improve the interface and it ends up working with Spotify HiFi.

George P and avanti1960 like this.
  19. It beggars belief that these companies produce great hardware without having a clue about the software side.
    If they built stuff to run on something such as Squeezebox software they'd actually have something really good on their hands.
    One interface that can talk to all the subscription services and play locally (as in on local network) files.

russk likes this.
  20. russk

I totally agree. It is really ridiculous. At this point I can only hope that Apple comes out with a high end streamer. I’d even settle for something like the Technics with BlueOS. I mean NAD should be able to handle that.

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

This looks like a nice unit. I know the interface is clunky as hell. And the SACD section is supposed to be the bees knees. I wonder how the streamer actually sounds ? I bet it’s up there with the SACD :)

22. avanti1960

ever heard the marantz sa players?

23. russk

Oh yeah. The SA-10 is my all time favorite. Honestly for me it was as good as the Accuphase and Luxman players. If it wasn’t for COVID19 I’d have one right now.

The Technics is good but doesn’t better the Ki-Ruby and the SA-10 bests it.

avanti1960 likes this.
  24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You have it? Can you answer a previous question asked upthread:
    Thanks.

25. avanti1960

Ever heard the luxman D05u? looking at a used one. Also considering a Japan SA-12.