So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ve enjoyed the Apple Car Play app embedded into Audi loaners I’ve driven while my car is in the shop. And like their cousins at VW, there is a single slot disc player in the glove box. For a loaner car, I haven’t bothered with discs, but I’ll miss the ability to listen to concert DVDs or the 5.1 mixes (Tull for instance) when the players are discontinued entirely.

2. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

It’s fairly unusual if it doesn’t have a 3.5mm aux input. Mine has one under the centre arm rest cubby hole. Others in glove compartment.

You could plug a discman in there, or Edison cylinder or whatever.

Big Blue likes this.
  3. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Yeah...it's 2019 alright....and guess what? People still listen to cd's.
    There is no need or reason to get rid of the cd player feature in cars already.

They got rid of cassette players in cars to make way for cd's. Getting rid of the cd option hasn't made way for anything new or different.
    My current car has a cd player but also a USB port and an AUX port. My old car had a tape player and a cd player in it and it was awesome!

BoogieFish, The MEZ, Gumboo and 5 others like this.
  4. MechanicalAnimal6

Plus the sound quality is noticeable and it just isn't the same either. R.I.P. to having to be able to play your music in your car easily...

Tuco likes this.
  5. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

If you get a new car with a top end sound system fron say Harmon Industries it should have a CD player, as they've discovered the sonic drawbacks of going all digital streaming & went back to the woodshed & making decent quality games & speakers. They also started forcing the auto manufacturers to include CD players again so the sound quality would be acceptable.

This info came to me straight to me from a good friend who works for Chrysler.

So Alpine/Infinity/Harmon-Kardon/JBL/Becker/Mark Levinson & others from them should have a CD player included.

6. MechanicalAnimal6

so rich people cars will continue to have cd players, but not regular people cars, lol...
    that's not good news for me i guess...i drive toyota usually...

7. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Amazing!

8. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

I'd say it depends on what system the manufacturer offers. I had two Chryslers with Infinity systems in them, & I'm certainly not rich.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  9. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated.

Nostaljack likes this.
  10. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Of course it has. We now have digital lossless files that can be kept in the same device you call people from. I don't need to carry CDs in my car anymore or (more specifically) my big book of CDs from place to place. It's all in my phone now. Cars have moved on from CDs. Mine from 2017 still has one and I absolutely never use it.

Ed

Ignominious likes this.
  11. Nostaljack

It is...but people resist...and all of those people are on SHtv...

Ed

12. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Hon
    The Honda doesn't have the aux plug either. I use the Hondas for work so I'm in there a lot. The 2010 had a cd player the 2013 and 2016 didn't. Half the time I want to throw the goddamn phone out the window on the Turnpike so I don't listen to music on it. I put some stuff on the USB drive but its a pain in the ass. I still listen to cds all the time so I now listen to them at home. And no I'm not 70 or 80 years old. I felt the same way before I even turned 50.

Tuco and Bluesman Mark like this.
  13. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I wouldn’t say that. Here’s a list I copied off another site of recent model vehicles that have either standard or available CD player, so not sure if it’s complete, but I’m not seeing any “rich people cars” (ie; Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Bentley, Rolls, Bugatti, etc).

2019 Acura ILX
    2019 & 2020 Acura TLX
    2019 Audi A3 - in the glove box
    2019 & 2020 BMW 2-Series
    2019 Dodge Journey (Crossroad & GT only)
    2019 Honda HR-V
    2019 Infiniti Q50 & Q60
    2019 Mercedes CLA
    2019 Nissan Frontier
    2019 Nissan Rogue Sport
    2019 & 2020 Nissan Z
    2019 Subaru Impreza (except base model)
    2019 Subaru Crosstrek (except base model)
    2019 Subaru Legacy (except base model)
    2019 Toyota Camry (XLE and XSE only)
    2019 Toyota Prius
    2019 Volkswagen Beetle
    2019 Volkswagen Jetta (SEL only!) - In the glove box
    2019 Volkswagen Alltrack (SE and SEL only) - In the glove box
    2019 Volkswagen Golf (SE only) - In the glove box
    2019 Volkswagen Sportwagen (SE only) - In the glove box
    2019 Volkswagen Passat
    2019 Ford Mustang with B&O Play™ Premium Audio System by HARMAN
    2019 Chevrolet Tahoe
    2019 Chevrolet Suburban
    2019 GMC Yukon
    2019 GMC Yukon XL
    2019 Toyota Tacoma with 6.1" Entune™ touch-screen display
    2019 Toyota Tundra

14. Nostaljack

There’s literally no reason to tech rage like this. Hey, I invented a new term!

Ed

15. JCade821

JCade821 Well-Known Member

I actually like the new Bluetooth systems in cars. I have about 64 gigs of music on my phone, and when I hit shuffle it's like having my own radio program without the ads or talking.

I have had a strong anti CD in car policy for awhile (original purchase CD, not a RW) because my wife, who used to insists on taking CDs from my collection, and unless I acted quickly would inevitably end up on the floorboard and damaged. The bluetooth technology helps prevent that.

Nostaljack and Big Blue like this.
  16. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Bluetooth and a phone full of music or a subscription to a streaming service is the way to go in cars, in my opinion. It’s convenient and sounds good enough given the situation. I even installed a Bluetooth receiver behind the dash of my old Land Rover.

Ignominious, vegafleet and Nostaljack like this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You realize iPhones aren’t primarily for talking, right? ;)

But if you literally will not use it as a phone, iPod Touch or an iPad may be worthwhile if only to listen to music (or podcasts, which is honestly what I listen to most of the time while driving nowadays) in the car. Plus you’ll quickly find you have a lot of uses for it.

If you specifically want to play CDs in a car that doesn’t have a CD player, then one of those bluetooth CD players someone else linked is probably something to consider. I don’t believe it’s true that all new cars lack a CD slot, though, so you may luck out.

18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My mother-in-law doesn’t have a cell phone at all. She’s fine. The “how things are done” statement assumes everyone is doing the things that are getting done, which is not true of everyone.

19. Nostaljack

"How things are done" denotes things that done by most. We know this because there aren't really portable CD players on the market anymore and cars are eliminating CD players from their cars. We also know that there are few "clamshell" phones anymore. The instances of houses with land lines has decreased sharply (I have one through Xfinity because I deal with people who insist on faxes). This is proof that there will be outliers who insist on living in 1992. No skin off my nose, really.

Ed

nosliw likes this.
  20. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

For these situations use a small bluetooth speaker with a carabinier and attach a discman to it via a aux cable. The carabinier speaker can hang from the shaft that attaches the rear view mirror to the windshield. It feels very punk.

21. Nostaljack

...and likely completely illegal because it blocks eyesight.

Ed

22. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

And so does the mirror.

Stephen

23. Nostaljack

No, no it doesn't...LOL! It never fails to almost impress how far people are willing to go to thwart the passage of time and technology. LOL!!!

Ed

Kyhl likes this.
  24. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Just say you don't get it, Ed.

beat_truck, broshfab4, Tuco and 4 others like this.
  25. Nostaljack

Don't think I'm the problem here, Claw...

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.