New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Forum Resident

I do like Somewhere North of Nashville, but can understand why others would prefer it to be omitted

DavidD, RSteven and JoeF. like this.
  2. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

If I were to whittle this album to an EP, I’d definitely keep Somewhere North of Nashville... it’s the lone fragment of old style Bruce on WS and at the two-minute mark it certainly doesn’t overstay its welcome.

3. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Forum Resident

Totally agree. It could actually be from Nebraska. I love the Bruce and an acoustic guitar tracks. Stripped down, intimate

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  4. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I agree. Those two along with There Goes My Miracle round up the rear.

5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

But I like "Miracle!"

6. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Where did you get this figure?

7. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

This is very unlikely. Can you provide where this came from?

8. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Current sequence:

Western Stars
    The Wayfarer
    Sundown
    Moonlight Motel
    Hitch Hikin'
    Tucson Train
    Stones
    Chasin' Wild Horses
    Drive Fast (The Stuntman)
    Hello Sunshine

JoeF. likes this.
  9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Madonna Achieves Ninth No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With 'Madame X'

Madame X’s debut week was comprised of 90,000 in album sales, which is the fourth-largest sales week for an album in 2019 by a woman. The album’s sales were bolstered by a concert ticket/album sale redemption offer with the Queen of Pop’s upcoming theater tour (starting on Sept. 12 in New York at Brooklyn's Howard Gilman Opera House), as well as an array of merchandise/album bundles sold via her official website.

dmiller458 likes this.
  10. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Came straight from Billboard's Chart Beat.

"Overall, Madame X’s debut sum of 95,000 equivalent album units is comprised of 90,000 in album sales, 1,000 in TEA units and 4,000 in SEA units."

11. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Oh. I get it. It’s 90,000 that INCLUDES albums sold with concert tickets. Thank you for the info.

NunoBento and dmiller458 like this.
  12. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

The lyrics to "Somewhere North Of Nashville" are quite moving and bittersweet. The story of someone who gave up a love for a chance to be a songwriter and went to Nashville to try their luck and ended up failing. Now they're left without their love and a long list of regrets and they're lost.
    It's quite moving and such a short song that I think it fits well within the album at just the right place.

13. johnny 99

What a shame that Madonna beat out Bruce for the Number One album on Billboard.
    I doubt her album is anywhere near as deep...:shake:

14. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I think the observation that this album does not work in a crowd is pretty on point. If you try and have a conversation with it in the background, you lose it pretty quickly. As a body of song-writing and performance it is first class. Also agree that Stones and Drive Fast are real growers. There is a very strong parallel lyrically between the characters in Racing and Drive Fast as you previously noted.

Phil147, DesertHermit and JoeF. like this.
  15. johnny 99

I heard this album in full twice more over the weekend and it's rewards deepen with each listen.
    There is not a wasted moment on this as far as I'm concerned.
    My friend and I played it before dinner on Saturday night and she remarked that she heard a real "Los Lobos" influence and feel in "Sleepy Joe's Café". I have to agree. The next day I woke up with that song in my head and realized that it shares a similar feel and vibe (and tempo) with the song "Ricky Wants A Man Of Her Own" from the "Tracks" box set. Think about that the next time you hear it and you might get a chuckle...

I've also come to a realization about the possible double meaning ending of "Moonlight Motel"
    I think that the character just pours a shot of "Jack" on the ground of the parking lot in a 'toast' to what was and that's it. "One more shot poured out onto the parking lot" makes a case for this (as in pouring one on the floor)
    It was easy before for me to think of the "suicide" ending, but I really think it just means the character takes two shots of "Jack" for himself and pours one on the ground before moving on with just his memories and regrets...

Brilliant album. I think I'm bumpin' it to ****1/2 stars out of 5

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    DavidD, DesertHermit, andy75 and 2 others like this.
  16. johnny 99

This album is meant to be savored in a quiet environment with a nice cocktail and one's rapt attention.

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Doesn't work as background music.

I've only heard it at a party but it kept dragging my attention away from the conversation. :)

18. OptimisticGoat

I still find the meaning ambiguous - its in the phrasing more than the written lyric. And, unlike many, I am happy with it being ambiguous and do not need to solve the puzzle. Either ending serves the song.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    NunoBento and RSteven like this.
  19. OptimisticGoat

Remind me not to try and speak to you at a social event.

carlwm, JoeF. and RSteven like this.
  20. johnny 99

I can't help feel that it's like the ending of The Sopranos. It's up to the listener to interpret it the way they see it.

OptimisticGoat and JoeF. like this.
  21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

You guys could talk about the album I guess...

22. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Beautiful pressing, great sound. Mastered by Chris Bellman.

[​IMG]

Vinyl_Blues and J_D__ like this.
  23. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

This seems like a quiet release in terms of promotion. Have there been any interviews? The film that was mentioned has not been announced.

24. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Crap i knew there'd be a vinyl release. I'll have to buy a 2nd copy!!

25. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I don't understand why this state of affairs is a shame. Who cares? Its like people getting all exercised because their favorite artist was not inducted into the Rock Hall. Meaningless. That this is an incredible collection of new music, available to enjoy, is all that matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.