So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

The bottom line is - auto manufacturers don’t offer CD players in most new automobiles BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE WOULDN'T OPT FOR THEM. Many SHF members fail to realize they are not like most people. Not saying we (SHF members) are better or worse than most people, we’re just different. Ever notice how many department stores (Best Buy, Target, etc) have done away with their CD departments, or minimized their CD inventory? That’s the reason CD players don’t come in most new automobiles, and that won’t change.

Nostaljack and Kyhl like this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The 2 year old "My new car doesn't have a CD player" thread with 25 pages just wasn't good enough.

Balthazar, JeffMo, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  3. Dok

Dok Senior Member

How much capacity do you need for a drive vs taking a few CDs along? Are we going coast to coast or what? I just got off the phone with a small CD manufacturer in California. I asked him how business was and he said it might not be quite as robust as it once was but that they're were still plenty of artists that relied on them and they stayed busy.

TonyCzar likes this.
  4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There weren't enough warriors in that thread.

JeffMo, GreenDrazi, Ironclaw and 2 others like this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Funny, my wife’s 2016 CRV has the same thing, and as I started reading your post, I was getting ready to tell you it’s in there (our salesman did know and proactively showed us how it worked)... Still, I don’t think she’s used the CD player.

6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Old smartphone works great, since it’s basically an iPod Touch and likely something a lot of people already have on hand.

I personally still have a working iPod Classic, and my car definitely as a 3.5mm input (and USB inputs, but as you pointed out, the USB is a very annoying option to use). So if I want to have my entire digital library along and available to play, I’m covered. But if that ever dies, my current phone may become the old phone I use in the car with BT.

Gaslight likes this.
  7. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Most new cars still have an AUX jack. So if you use a CD player that has a 3.5mm output jack, you could play the CDs with an interconnect cable.

That said, not offering a CD player is my pet peeve regarding cars. I just don't want to spend my time ripping CDs.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I believe pretty much all suvs, mini vans, etc has a rear entertainment option with a blu Ray player. Probably not standard equipment.

Big Blue likes this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s about selection. I would rather not be stuck with a few options when I can have my whole collection along.

tineardrum likes this.
  10. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Newer does not mean better, my friend. And not all us carry a "smart"phone. I'll just take the CD player option, even if I have to go used or after-market to make that happen. And if that eventually aint an option I still have my portable CD player, it's outlived probably four "smart"phones I've seen friends burn through.

Eleanora's Alchemy and Dok like this.
  11. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

I believe these models offer CD player, but cannot guarantee the accuracy.

Cadillac: Escalade
    Chevrolet: Impala, Suburban, Silverado(K2), Tahoe
    GMC: Yukon, YukonXL, Sierra(K2),
    Ford: Taurus
    Also:
    2019 Acura ILX
    2019 & 2020 Acura TLX
    2019 Audi A3 - in the glove box
    2019 & 2020 BMW 2-Series
    2019 Honda HR-V
    2019 Infiniti Q50
    2019 Mercedes CLA
    2019 Nissan Frontier
    2019 Nissan Rogue Sport
    2019 & 2020 Nissan Z
    2019 Toyota Prius
    2019 Volkswagen Beetle
    2019 Volkswagen Jetta (SEL only!) - In the glove box
    2019 Volkswagen Passat

12. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

My car doesn't have a CD player. I play music through my iPhone. At first I was bummed out but then I realized, I don't play CDs in the car anyway. I'm always too afraid they will get scratched. I used to burn CDs for the car years ago but now I'm too cheap to buy CDRs.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Spoken like somebody who lives 5 minutes away from work. Looks to me like "tech" hasn't moved on, so much as empathy has (and, uhhh, this is still a board the caters to audiophiles, yes...?).

brownie61 and Blank Frank like this.
  14. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

No, it wasn't.

15. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I don't. I live about an hour away. The minority on this board clearly hasn't and won't influence the car companies to put CD players back into cars. Tech wins.

Ed

16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Simple.

No CD player... No buy car.

kanakaris likes this.
  17. Nostaljack

Gotcha. There are an errant few of you who obstinately won't get a smartphone. My father is one of you. Rejoice....or something.

Ed

curbach likes this.
  18. Nostaljack

Prepare to ride a scooter to work then. The move away from CD players is happening...and you'll conform.

Ed

19. Nostaljack

Anyway, this is all pretty silly. The other thread was too. Enjoy, luddites. I'm gone.

Ed

20. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I'm not a conformist. :)

Uglyversal likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Which I'm sure will make everybody on an audiophile-sympathetic board empathize with your point. What were we thinking.

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

My smartphone by far has not enough space to hold my entire collection, only a small part of it. Fail.

905 and brownie61 like this.
  23. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The problem is not that CD players have been gone, but that they haven't been replaced by a comparable solution:
    (1) I pick a CD from my shelf, take it with me to the car and play it while driving. How much time does it take me? 10 seconds.
    (2) Starting my computer, ripping my CD, transfer it to my smartphone, connect it to my car player via bluetooth, or alternatively transfer it to a USB stick. How much time does it take me? 5 minutes at least, maybe more. Even if the CD is already ripped, I have to take the time to transfer it from my backup drive to a device that is playable in the car, that takes several minutes.

Also, I notice that gapless playback doesn't always work with flac files, at least in my car player. There will always be a 1 second pause which is annoying for albums where tracks segue into each other. My PC solved this problem 15 years ago, which technically was like stone age, now we are back to this.

PS: It is entirely possible that the problem is me and I am simply not able to use my devices as they are intended. If you have an easy solution for (a) gapless playback of flac albums from USB sticks and (b) a convenient way to play the albums I want from my 1TB flash harddrive as conveniently as picking a CD from my shelf, please tell it to me.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Big Blue, Deano6 and Dok like this.
  24. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Downloading an album before a trip is way less convenient and more time consuming than just to take the CD from my shelf. Are you saying that I have to accept less convenience because tech moves on?

Eleanora's Alchemy and Dok like this.
  25. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Prepare to be fried by 5G! :evil: :laugh:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.