Michael Jackson passed away a decade ago today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Anonamemouse, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too Thread Starter

Time flies.
    I was runner for catering in London for the shows he was supposed to do at the O2. I never met Michael in person, but I did see quite some of the rehearsals. It would have been a magnificent show.

LarsO, tug_of_war, Majk and 5 others like this.
  2. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

A man of immense talents.
    Trying not to get too political, it's unfortunate that he had other aspects to his life which have overshadowed his music.
    I have both positive and unsettling feelings about him, but generally feel sad for him.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Time flies!

tug_of_war and guppy270 like this.
  4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

King of pop of the 80’s but an odd man!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    tug_of_war and Anonamemouse like this.
  5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

When he died, I remember it was an event. Like, I am not sure there have been many moments like that since even with musical legends who have passed in recent years where it seemed like life was put on pause for most people as we all looked to the news stations while he was taken to the hospital.

I like a lot of his music, of course regarding the man personally, I don't want to derail the thread but let's just say I don't doubt many of the things he has been accused of. But the day of his death 10 years ago, man that was a crazy day

Jmac1979 likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've only recently started to listen to his music properly for the first time. Everybody in the western world has heard it, but few people have actually paused to listen to it.

As a singer, he had an immense talent. Those early J5 vocals show someone who already knew more about phrasing than many singers four times his age. There is something troubling about the maturity of his vocals, though, especially on the more serious songs - he had a mournful vocal quality, almost as if he sensed the sad destiny that awaited him.

One Day In Your Life has to be one of the finest vocals recorded by anyone, ever.

The dancing never meant that much to me, but I can recall seeing very small children copying his moves. If it inspired them to get up and move and saved them from a lifetime of couch-potatodom, then that can't have been a bad thing.

Off The Wall is his finest work - it doesn't suffer from the lapses of taste/elephantiasis that afflicts his later work, when his energies were misdirected towards competing with himself.

As to recent rumours/'revelations' - we'll never know the definitive truth about what happened, so we might as well just concentrate on the music, much of which is very strong indeed.

7. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Hard to believe its been so long.

I have seriously mixed feelings about Michael because of all the personal stuff, but there's no doubt he was a gamechanger as a performer and he is missed in that aspect. Although outside of Dangerous, which I felt was underlooked because MJ's persona had overtaken his music by the early 90s and deserves a second look because he adapted himself to the 90s better than given credit for, I don't really care much for his post-Thriller recordings

Anonamemouse and lc1995 like this.
  8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Farrah Fawcett died that day too, a few hours earlier.

9. D Jr.

D Jr. Well-Known Member

Human Nature is a wonderful song and he performed it so well...

10. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Yep. I wasn't alive when Elvis died and was an infant when Lennon was murdered, Jackson's death in 2009 was easily the closest people my age ever witnessed something like that.

There's been other big musical deaths in my lifetime, Cobain (being 14 in 1994, his death pretty much was all everyone talked about for the rest of the school year. Nirvana went from "a popular band" the day before we found out he was dead to the biggest thing in the world come Monday afterwards), Prince, Whitney, Bowie, etc..., but Jackson's was on a whole different plane to itself

Kkfan, andrewskyDE, ispace and 3 others like this.
  11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I know Farrah gets mentioned as always being overlooked, and I can definitely see that. But I do think a major difference is that Farrah's death was imminent for a few months beforehand. She had the tv special that served as a proper goodbye, and the media was talking about how ill she was and that her death was going to happen soon, etc... so where Michael did get 90% of the attention on June 25, 2009, Farrah at least did feel the outpouring of love and grief from her fans by how public she was about her cancer in the months leading to her death to where she died surrounded by love and well wishes from fans, vs. how Michael just came out of nowhere and shocked the hell out of everyone who never even thought about him being a celebrity death.

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

He was a great talent. RIP.

Headfone likes this.
  13. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

I can’t get over that being 10 years ago !!! Where the Hell has that gone!?????

14. DEV.Woulf

DEV.Woulf Forum Resident

That day I been up all night and morning so I slept late and woke up to the news. I admit, I wasn't surprised. I had heard about him having addiction issues for years, and I just thought it finally got him. It was revealing to find out the truth when it came out. Real odd thing to do; real odd way to go. But he was an odd man and those things come with the territory.

As for his legacy, well, there's no doubt he is the King of Pop. He changed the industry in so many ways, and most importantly his music is timeless. His celebrity was as big as the Beatles, and the 80s and early 90s were his. I remember me and my friends trying to dance and dress like him when Dangerous was out. We were obsessed (like everyone). He is among the very best. Too bad he couldn't get his demons in control.

I haven't watched the recent documentary on him. What I did hear didn't sound good at all, but it doesn't change my love of his music and videos.

Kkfan and Anonamemouse like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I agree that it wasn’t a big surprise. I didn’t know about his addictions at the time, but he’d looked so ill over the previous few years it wasn’t hard to see the way it was going.

16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

This makes me feel old.

Michael likes this.
  17. FaithMonkey

FaithMonkey Forum Resident

And it was on George Michael's birthday too. Crazy coincidence...

cquiller1 and Grant like this.
  18. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I remember a friend saying it happened, I told my mother who refused to believe me and it was on the news in short order. At the time I wasn't even paying attention to music as a hobby.

I had a flirtation with his music in 2017 and 2018, the biggest issue I have is all of these albums have low points. Thriller sort of gets by though I can't say I really like that title track, and Off The Wall is... off the chart in terms of song by song disparity. I liked most of the Bad singles, and found a handful of gems on Dangerous like In The Closet

In terms of the stuff which happened/didn't happen, nobody knows anything new since 1993. It doesn't get to me though the fact it's not something anyone can prove/disprove is simply crap at this point.

Though, my all time favorite track he did is no question - Stranger in Moscow. That one is just something else and I have to give credit to Brad Buxer as it's partially his own song too.

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Tough father & short childhood, no wonder he was a troubled adult that seemed to have not fully grown up.
    I think the family had serious misgivings about Michael's doctor and others of influence in his unreal & bubbled inner circle.

Grant and Ginger Ale like this.
  20. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

It certainly does not feel like anywhere near ten years ago such is the clarity of the news reports throughout that evening (UK) .
    Alarmingly it was 17 years since Jackson, Uri Geller and David Blaine somewhat bizarrely visited Exeter City football club which i live around 500 yards from. I hung around outside the ground while the event was taking place and could clearly see inside such is the structure of third division football grounds. Although there was over 7,000 inside there was not a soul outside, no police / security, sellers of food, Michael paraphernalia not even random members of the public. Nobody. Very surreal.
    Along with Prince, two of the most athletic/ energised performers of the eighties both now gone.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  21. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Dont forget Billy Mays as well...

Grant and stetsonic like this.
  22. siebrand

siebrand music lover

A man full of himself
    Bad simple commercial pop music for children.
    Never loved his music, never loved him.

DTK, culabula and Imagine70 like this.
  23. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Like MJ's old rival Prince once sang, money sometimes gets you everything and nothing.

24. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

I didn't like him. Extreme narcissism and absolutely ruthless marketing make a nauseating mixture.

DTK, FACE OF BOE, culabula and 7 others like this.
  25. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.