I pulled out my old Columbia CD of Dylan's JOHN WESLEY HARDING just to be sure....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Dusty Ol'Rekkids

Dusty Ol'Rekkids Forum Resident

I stumbled upon this thread by asking a different question, "John Wesley Harding Mono vs. Stereo" and instead I got this thread. It turns out, by sheer luck of the draw, that 2 of my 4 copies are the preferred editions. I own the Stereo 2 eye 360 sound 1A handwritten NW vinyl (I came by it used and the condition is VG+, a bit crackly but no skipping or deterioration in sound). I also own the CK 9604 DIDP 070097 that I scored off of BMG in the 90's. I also own the 2003 Hybrid and the Mono Vinyl Box. That said, the reason I was searching Mono v. Stereo was because I was looking at the 2LP 45 RPM MoFi editions and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on those presses.

2. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

This CD described in the very first post by Mr. Hoffman can be had dirt cheap. I'm not a big Dylan fan but I just went ahead and ordered it from the big auction site to see what the fuss is about! Great read of a thread!

3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Re the old JWH cd (before the remasters from 2003 on) I have both the USA cd bought in the States when doing some Dylan shows back in the 1990s and the UK cd version bought on release. I think they are identical (well to my wooden ears they are) and yes they do sound great. They are stereo so for mono you need an old vinyl version or the recent reissues by Sony or MFSL. One of my favourite Dylan albums (3rd actually after Blonde and Blood). I was very disappointed in the 2003 sacd/hybrid version in that Dear Landlord just seemed different.
    Sundazed did a vinyl mono before Sony and if I recall correctly that was ok as well. First time JWH was in mono again since the 1960s.
    Of course now the stereo vinyl is only available new as a 45rpm release from MFSL.

4. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Are there any other cases of the original CD issues being better than the SACD releases or just JWH?

5. George P

George P Notable Member

In my opinion, the stereo MFSL SACD is better than the original CD and the Sony SACD.

I like the original Planet Waves more than the MFSL SACD.

6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

For me no would be the answer. It was only the JWH and specifically Dear Landlord that when playing the disc - sacd layer or redbook, I just thought that does not sound how I remember it and it is not as good either. The Sony mono cd is great as are both the MFSL hybrid sacds either mono or stereo.

CBackley, SOONERFAN and Mark87 like this.
  7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I agree with this. Rob LoVerde mastered the MFSL SACD, did he not? Even though he would never brighten a recording like this, it's still a bit shrill, and yet the original CD also sounds very thin to me, as if the sound was thinned out towards the lower mids and bass frequencies.

It's not a big deal for me though because I prefer Mark Wilder's CD mastering of the mono mix over anything else.

George P likes this.
  8. Rami

Rami Forum Resident

Can anyone confirm or deny that it makes any difference? My copy also has DIDP 070097 on the CD face.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  9. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It's a matter of taste. I snaffled up the SACD set when it came out and in the end was disappointed. If you like clarity and detail at the expense of warmth and natural sound you will like the SACDs.

Tim

10. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

Mine is the same number as stated in the very first post of this thread.

I've tried to like Bob Dylan in the past, mostly just listening to Blonde on Blonde and HWY 61. JWH is the disc I should have bought in the first place. I hear greatness on this disc that I don't hear in the other two. I might even look into adding some more Bob Dylan in the collection.

Here's what I got, a disc in near perfect shape for real cheap:

[​IMG]

SOONERFAN and c-eling like this.
  11. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Those SACDs are bright as hell. It’s part of why I think the format died off in the US. If the mastering is $hit, who cares about the added resolution?
    The Elton and Bowie SACDs sounded like crap too.

12. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

The Dylan album I can’t stop playing is Love And Theft.

PBo, Rockford & Roll and Rickchick like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No difference. The zero preceding just means it'a later manufacture.

Rami likes this.
  14. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Yes! Lately though, it's been RTR three record vinyl and mostly, still, Tell Tale Signs vinyl.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  15. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I've got the mono MoFi 45 rpm of JWH. My cd is not here at the moment, so I can't compare, but I know it's the first press. I know TP would get the vapors, but I think this MoFi is great. Anyone else?

16. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I just picked up the original Columbia CD of JWH while on vacation in San Francisco a few weeks ago (oh, Amoeba, how I love you...). It’s a great listen! I still prefer the sound of the MFSL mono SACD the most, but it’s just a matter of personal preference. As my profile indicates, all of my gear is pretty basic for now. Perhaps as I continue to get better and better gear my opinions will change.

(I also picked up a second copy of the amazing DCC gold CD of Highway 61. I now have both a US and Japan pressing of that one. Why? Who knows.)

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

STILL my favorite CD of JWH!

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

High Res just more piercing ear pain!

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Like a couple others in the thread I prefer the MFSL SACD stereo compared to the original Columbia CD. Sounds like a better transfer and not as thin. I think Rob L. did a great job with the mastering.

C6H12O6 and George P like this.
  20. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

You mean mono...

21. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

No, the MFSL stereo SACD vs. the original Columbia stereo CD. I prefer the mono box mastering for the mono mix over the MFSL mono SACD.

Mike D'Aversa and C6H12O6 like this.
  22. Rami

Rami Forum Resident

Thank you for your reply! :)

c-eling likes this.
  23. Rami

Rami Forum Resident

And very special thanks to Steve Hoffman for a great recommendation.:tiphat:

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm replacing my record collection that I sold with CDs so all I have to do is seach the music forum for best sounding CD of ( blank) and I get my answer. You can't beat having this kind of information at your fingertips.

Fox67, GregM, rednax and 3 others like this.
  25. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

So where does the story with the edited out plosives come from regarding this album?

The only place you can hear it without the Popping P's is on the original CD release, which has such improved fidelity (wider stereo spread and less hiss, even after you re-EQ the high end back in) over the SACD or the MoFi I can only assume it was a remix. The original 1967 vinyl never had the plosives edited out.

Pelvis Ressley and asdf35 like this.