So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:D

[​IMG]

Did you know that that is Manchester City football star Mike Summerbee?

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  2. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

cdgenarian likes this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not done easily on many newer cars, sometimes not doable at all on some cars. Crutchfield's website is a good place to check out whether you can or not, and what is needed.

4. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

When I bought my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee I had to order a CD player special as they don't come with them anymore. The people at the dealership thought I was crazy as they said no one asks for CD players anymore. They had to get my Jeep from a dealership 80 miles away with the features I wanted that included a CD player. The CD player is not even in the dash but rather in the center console between the seats.

I own over 1000 CD's so there is no way I am ripping all that music to my phone, a thumb drive or the cloud. I rip my favorites to the smart phone for convenience and listening over wireless headphones/ earbuds when on the go but I love having that CD player in my car.

As far as the car not being for critical listening, I certainly agree but I spend a lot of time in my Jeep driving so that is where I do most of my music listening. I want the best sounding system I can get so having CD player is important to me at least. YMMV.

John DeAngelis and clhboa like this.
  5. classicrocker

Depends on the playback system. You would have to check the cars' user manual and it might tell you what formats the electronics can decode and play. If you want to take your music with you to play in rentals MP3's are probably the safest bet.

In any case with all the road noise in a car , you most likely could not hear the difference between an MP3 ripped at 320K and the CD original.

nosliw, Blank Frank and McLover like this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I disagree. And btw I still use my car CD player, on occasion.

My phone is usually nearby, or in my pocket. Downloading a few albums off Tidal literally takes about two minutes via my Wifi. My CD's, although fairly organized, would actually take more time to rifle through. Plus I'd prefer to put them in a CD binder as having a bunch of CD jewel cases in my car usually means they will fall under my seat eventually or then I have to make room in my glove compartment (which is again a bit annoying, while driving). I used to actually make CDR's back in the day to avoid scratching the originals.

Streaming of course has the issue of not always having the album I want. But that's what local DAP / phone storage is for. I have something like 10k songs on my phone right now, all vinyl / CD rips. They work in my car but probably the OP's rental, and pretty much everywhere else I happen to be.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  7. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I plug my Pono into the aux port.

JeffMo likes this.
  8. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

You need to find out what the USB ports do. It's not a given that you connect a phone to them, with any luck they might accept a USB stick with MP3 files. Does the car have anything that looks like a player device?

Other platforms are available ... :)

9. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Agreed, I still have hundreds of CDs but won't sweat the day I own a car that won't play them.

10. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

Why would you use a high-res player with Bluetooth? That's like putting ketchup on a $200 steak.

Joker to the thief likes this.
  11. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Yep! I pulled the CD playing unit out of my Jeep and replaced it with a CarPlay unit that doesn't play CDs last year. I have been playing mostly digital for years now...going back to the Phatbox I had years and years ago. I just downloaded ios13beta and they changed the interface for Carplay and made it even more usable. Those kind of updates are few and far between on regular head units.

Nostaljack likes this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I am actually pretty surprised to see there are even this many people who use an online forum but have resisted using a smartphone. They’re pretty useful, guys.

Nostaljack and nosliw like this.
  13. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Agreed, although far too many people are addicted to them.

Big Blue likes this.
  14. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Embrace blue tooth in the car. Sure, it's not audiophile grade, but who cares...you are moving around at high speeds enclosed inside what is essentially a small box surrounded by glass windows :laugh:

15. classicrocker

No kidding! everywhere you go people are just staring at their phones and texting constantly to the point of obsession. People complain to me if I did not see their text immediately after they send it to me. I tell them if it is that important call me directly as I don't stare at my phone every minute. I rarely look at it on weekends and only carry it if I go in the car.

That being said it is one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century IMO. You basically have a personal computer and assistant you can stick in your pocket. Not to mention having virtually every song ever recorded at your fingertips and the ability to carry tour music with you everywhere.

As much as I hate being a slave to technology I would feel naked leaving home without it.

Big Blue and troggy like this.
  16. classicrocker

With a very noisy background of road and engine noise masking the details of the music

Joey_Corleone and Big Blue like this.
  17. ScottRiqui

ScottRiqui Forum Resident

It would be silly if Bluetooth were the hi-res device’s only interface, but that’s never the case; it’s just one more option.

18. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Hyperbolic. I use tech but do not own a smart phone. My Samsung flip phone is 15 years old and does what I need it to do...

beat_truck, Gumboo and Blank Frank like this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s borderline absurd that a phone of that age is still functional, and it’s definitely impressive!

I agree completely that it’s hyperbolic and even silly to say everyone will have to conform to using a technology like a smartphone. It’s just not true.

troggy likes this.
  20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Agreed, it's a great gadget but there's no reason to think that everybody needs one, let alone will have to conform. That's not being anti-tech, so much as realizing that different technologies have varying degrees of usefulness for different people.

beat_truck, Gumboo and Blank Frank like this.
  21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Buying a slightly used car is the soundest economic strategy as well.

JeffMo and 905 like this.
  22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The only way people may become “forced” to conform is if manufacturers entirely stop making cell phones that are not smartphones. Even then, there really are still people who use a land line and no cell phone, and they are able to live perfectly good lives.

Blank Frank and troggy like this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Eventually slightly used cars will be too new to have CD players, too, though, if in fact they are being completely phased out (which I still don’t believe is necessarily the case).

Ultimately, how many people are really, truly going to buy a car based primarily on the entertainment options? These are features, secondary to things like performance and reliability when choosing a vehicle. I think all of these “if there’s no CD player, I ain’t buyin’ it!” posts amount to hot air when it comes time to actually shop for a vehicle and none of them turn out to have a CD player.

troggy likes this.
  24. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

That's true in my view. I use the CD player in my rig but only because the ipod I had aged out. I don't have the memory I need in my phone to load up on tunes or I would just get a bluetooth dongle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.