Stone Roses - all over?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have been enjoying their two classic albums (I really like Second Coming) as well as some live clips of their reunion 'third coming', and wondering if it's all over (again) with the band. Brown's words at the end of the last concert seemed to suggest so but there's never been an actual announcement as far as I know. Any ideas?

One of the saddest things for me is that Reni must be one of the greatest drummers of his generation, but only recorded two albums and didn't even do much live. Like the band in general it all seems like such a waste of talent.

2. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I agree with you on Reni, just watch this clip. The comeback singles were not very good, though. And not well received. So maybe that’s why they didn’t continue the reunion. Oh well, we’ll always have those two albums and a handfull of ep’s.

3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I strongly disagree about the comeback singles. "Beautiful Thing" was mega.

Sean, danielbravo, bhazen and 10 others like this.
  4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Agree on "Beautiful Thing," but "All For One" was tripe.

5. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

The truth of the matter is despite the reunion gigs they blew the comeback overnight by the release of "All For One" due to it sounding like a bad Oasis track ripping off this 1980s children animation theme tune which was picked up by twitter users within minutes of its release:

And even BBC Radio 6 Music DJs were taking the michael out of their similarities.

Such a pity as "Beautiful Thing" was actually quite good.

6. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Mani's been pretty active on Twitter lately, probably out of lack of anything else to do. A few weeks ago, he responded to a tweet about the Roses with something like "what a great band that was/is/could be".

I liked both new songs and the New York show practically reduced me to tears of joy.

7. Django

Django Forum Resident

They came back for the money. That's okay. They deserved a payday. The performances I watched were hit & miss. For the most part the band played well. Brown still has a problem singing in tune live. The advances in live monitors hasn't fixed that. The two new tracks were poor to average. The spark they had has long since passed. I would be surprised if they surfaced again. Maybe if there's another divorce.

8. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Good God, the MSG show was three years ago already?!?

I'm still shocked it happened.

9. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

only love the first lp and all before! i can't stand their led zeppelin incarnation! i think that the first lp is one of the third best ever!!

10. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

They will always remain immortal for one incredible album and one pretty decent album.....They have their place in genuine music royalty for me.

andrewskyDE, ggjjr, bhazen and 6 others like this.
  11. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

That's it in a nutshell.

12. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Nonsense. Nor did it sound like Oasis, but also your assertion that they ripped off a 1980's childrens animation theme tune is incorrect - as not only does it not sound like that theme tune, but "all for one and one for all" is a phrase which predates the 1980's by quite a significant number of years.

I will agree that I didn't rate it very highly and that "Beautiful Thing" was miles better.

supernaut, warewolf95 and NunoBento like this.
  13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I'll say this -- they were smart to test the waters with a few web-only singles before spending years/millions on a total bomb of a "reunion" album.

14. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

Some bands are best off retaining their nostalgic legacy. The Stone Roses are one of those bands. The Libertines are another but they have already made the error of recording a sub-par reunion album that does not muster up to their original albums.

15. Figure of Eight

As for whether The Stone Roses are active or inactive, I personally wasn't expecting any new music from them the moment that they announced their reformation, so the fact we got a couple of tracks out of it was enough. Given their stance on promoting themselves, I'd say not to worry about it. If they do something, we'll all know about it, and if they don't do anything, then at least - from the looks of it - they've come out of it all still friends this time.

AlienRendel, DTK and Defrance like this.
  16. Figure of Eight

I don't agree. While their third record isn't the same kind of snapshot of a young band as their first two albums were, and nor could it be, I thought it was a very good, solid record, and vastly preferable to any Dirty Pretty Things, Babyshambles or Doherty solo work.

17. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Reni is a god. Effortlessly brilliant. It's clear he carried on practicing regularly for his own entertainment while they were away.

18. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

It was over after the Fools Gold / What the world is waiting for double A. Everything after was a shadow of greatness.

Nothing can take away how the Roses really captured a spirit of indie music in 1989, and how so many acts grew up around them and got signed. The album caused great excitement and A LOT of bands where formed off that spirit of a new wave of British Independent music.

Oasis captured something like it with "Definitely Maybe" a few years later, an example of that Roses template. Like them they too burnt bright for a small time before the whole thing collapsed into the mess that was "BritPop"

I think the wheels came off the Roses after their legal dispute with Silvertone, they where never the same afterwards. The business part destroyed the creative.

19. Figure of Eight

Yeah, I rate Reni highly as a drummer too. One of the things that always gave The Stone Roses an edge over a lot of UK alternative rock/indie bands was their undoubtedly great rhythm section, and to me this is the biggest shame about them not having made more music over the years. I really enjoy listening to Reni & Mani play, particularly on groove-based stuff like "Daybreak" ... Second Coming features some fine playing.

20. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I enjoy both albums and comeback singles. I wish they’d do a third record like I thought they were hinting at (?) but I wonder now just like you if they will...

21. cyril sneer

Interesting pov. I feel very much the other way. I'll probably start a Libertines thread at some point down the line.

To me both bands are similar though as they were very much an uk only band, who captured the social times of the country at those times, over a short career span.

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

No official announcement, but it seems the band is dormant again.

My guess is they're essentially split, but didn't want to make an actual announcement in case they decide to cash in and play some more nostalgia gigs (particularly festivals, which are incredibly lucrative) in a couple years.

And yeah, the tepid response to the first two singles probably didn't help, but in fairness, they weren't very good. "Beautiful Thing" would've been a decent album deep cut, but not a hype-generating single.

23. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

IMO I thought All For One and Beautiful Thing proved they’ve still got it, sounds like classic Roses again to me

24. cyril sneer

The Sex Pistols
    The Smiths
    The Stone Roses
    The Libertines

Four bands who should never have/had a reunion.

25. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Although The Second Coming is not as brilliant, I still love about half of it, and Mani's bass work is immense. He is another one who, like Reni, deserves to be on a lot more recorded material. His work with Primal Scream was brilliant as well, and perhaps if the Roses are over again he could rejoin them.