Favourite David Lynch film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chronic kebab, Dec 23, 2015.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well for one thing it’s not going to take 25 years for it to materialise. David Lynch said it took five years to write The Return.

2. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I can't imagine TP without Albert or the Log Lady. The Return was all the redux I needed, and was frankly better than I was expecting.

alexpop likes this.
  3. ries

ries Forum Resident

Anyone planning to buy Kino Lorber's new bluray of Lost Highway, apperently they were planning an elaborate special edition, but Mr. Lynch didnt want to work with them. So its a barebones edition now.

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

He must be planning on doing it with some other company hence the non acknowledgement.

ries likes this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Very tough, would be between Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive for me (I saw MD twice in the theater when it came out). I went with Blue Velvet.

S3 of Twin Peaks was astounding as well, perhaps Lynch's crowning achievement.

6. ries

ries Forum Resident

yeah it seems that he wanted Criterion to release this, but they were outbid by KL.

alexpop likes this.
  7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I would also include Godard’s Le Mepris. He makes several references to this film, and both end with the word, “Silencio”.

8. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

How about a top 3? Eraserhead, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr. are the one's I've watched most. I've been a fan ever since I saw Eraserhead at a midnight show during it's initial release. Pretty mind-blowing.

9. I wonder if KL weren't willing to pay him as much as Criterion? I'm guessing he doesn't do this stuff for free.
    Oh, Mulholland Drive for me. Saw it twice at the theater (got a private screening the second time!) and many times on dvd/blu .

ries likes this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Lost Highway bluray looks quite good, regardless of lack of Lynch endorsement. Watching it as I type this.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’ll say it. I also love Dune. A visual feast.

12. alexpop

Mulholland Drive ..
    Thought I’d rewatch with a old dvd and blu ray player but the disc froze at the kissing audition scene. Had to watch the rest on my MacBook Pro.
    Looks like I need a new player BD disc next time.

13. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

For years I've said that Lost Highway was my favorite Lynch film, but I need to just admit that it's really Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. I was there on opening night, with about ten other people, and have watched it innumerable times since. I love the show, as well. The Return was the single best time I've ever had watching any TV show or film.

That being said, I love every movie he's made, and believe it or not, I actually understand some of them! ;) I started out my Lynch love affair in high school by watching The Elephant Man over and over on cable TV in the '80s. The rest is history. I've seen them all over and over, except for Inland Empire, which I've only seen once. I always mean to watch it again, but at 3 hours, it always seems like such a daunting task to start it. Soon!

14. alexpop

What did David Lynch think of Game Of Thrones?

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What an odd question. What made you ask that?

For me, I have a love/hate relationship with David Lynch. I like a lot of his stuff, but some of movies are just unwatchable. I mean Eraserhead is the most confusing, disjointed mess I've ever seen.

For me, I think I liked Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and, get this, I've never seen the series! I just liked it a lot. Some of made no sense (but that's to be expected in a Lynch movie). "Wild at Heart" and "Blue Velvet" are good, but not favorites.

16. alexpop

Odd question “?
    Curiosity.

I mean there’s other TV series as well I’m curious about what he thinks of them ..

Breaking Bad
    Mad Men
    Lost ...etc.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Does he have a Twitter account? I mean, I don't know how else you'd get the answers to these questions unless you can find some way to ask him. You're not going to find out here, obviously.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

Here “?

Don’t be so dismissive of the shforum members.

19. alexpop

Twitter account that’s a idea.
    Don’t fancy getting all the foundation TM stuff though.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, there IS a possibility that someone on here knows David Lynch, but I'd say the probability isn't great. I was merely saying that with Twitter (if he has an account) is an option. I don't know what you mean with the "all foundation TM stuff". I don't use Twitter. I don't even use Facebook.

21. alexpop

He doesn’t have to know him maybe read a article, interview.

22. alexpop

Happy end.

23. alexpop

David Lynch commented on Dennis Hopper’s passing in 2010 I believe,though yet to find the comment myself. What did Lynch say about Hopper, anybody see it?

24. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Laura Dern is on a late night tv show tonight on NBC.

25. alexpop

Could never get into Dune. What’s the new version going to be like ?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019