qobuz 24 bit music

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Sheagren, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

ive come to the conclusion 24 bit music is much more musical.the instruments are more seperated and the bass is thicker and tighter.the mids come out more and the crymbals have a way more brassy sound.this is of course going off comparing my cds verse the qobuz hi-res and now getting a ear for it.

Staxus, NYMets41, Doctor Fine and 6 others like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I came to the conclusion mastering comes first.
    This in 24 bit sucks.
    [​IMG]

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Indeed. All day, every day. I've got loads of 24 bit albums, some sound great, others are more compressed than I'd like. If I converted them to 16/44, I doubt I could tell the difference that they were 24 bit or 16 bit either. Same with my dabbling in pure DSD recordings (actually recorded in DSD).

4. Scott Sheagren

oh no doubt the mastering is the key!im not goona lie some of the 24 bit albums i can not hear a difference but the ones i do it is very apparent.

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I know you're excited Scott, with the new subscription and all but it's impossible to generalize everything.
    My problem with these services is not knowing, and more than likely them using compressed remasters. I've been using Qobuz as a store for years, so I know what they offer and don't.
    The only one you have to impress-is you! Enjoy :cheers:

tmtomh, audiomixer and Scott Sheagren like this.
  6. Scott Sheagren

i love it so far!
    between my own lossless server with about 1000 of my albums and qobuz im so happy.

tmtomh, NYMets41, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I know you mentioned Tidal before. Is Qobuz noticeably better in your opinion?

8. Scott Sheagren

Yes!i compared a lot of albums side by side and Qobuz vs tidal and Qobuz was without a doubt better sonically in my book(the bass was always thicker and tighter what i heard right away)
    and qobuz has led zeppelin hi-res and black sabbath,and so many of my favorite bands in hi-res.tidal does have a bigger list of artists but im so happy with qobuz.
    and now i have unlimited data on my phone i can listen to hi-res anywhere anytime!
    bye overpriced vinyl!
    i still will buy new releases of my favorite bands in hi-res through qobuz also.
    no doubt in my mind 24 bit,the music is more seperated and crisper and tighter bass and music just pops out more.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

To me it is.

10. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

Does Qobuz stream native 24-192 or is it mqa?

11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

No MQA.

tmtomh and art like this.
  12. Fdee

Fdee Well-Known Member

OldSoul, I'll take the lack of a comma there to mean that it is 24/192 and not MQA.

13. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

More specifically, anything from 16/44.1 to 24/192, depending on the source.

14. Fdee

Fdee Well-Known Member

Right, thanks! Been looking at Qobuz as an alternative to Tidal and so am following this conversation keenly.

NYMets41, Scott Sheagren and Gaslight like this.
  15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Same here. One advantage with Tidal for me is that I get to leverage my kid's EDU discount. But if Qobuz eventually matched that I could easily jump over.

16. Scott Sheagren

no its in flac.

17. Scott Sheagren

i think thats why i dont get the full sonics of tidal because i dont have a dac that does mqa.

18. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Tidal offers a military veterans discount, making it a no brainer. I can’t imagine Qobuz is worth twice the monthly cost.

ScottRiqui likes this.
  19. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Qobuz sounds great, but I am also subscribed to Tidal (yes, I like MQA) because Qobuz has some gaps in its library.

Gaslight likes this.
  20. D700

D700 Just Add Scotch

Good reason to subscribe, then buy. My 24 bit purchases have been limited to artists like Mark Knopfler, Neil Young, Steely Dan and a few others who I know give/gave a crap about the sound.

Shiver likes this.
  21. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I’m on Tidal at the moment but am tempted to cancel and try Qobuz on a months free trial (studio subscription rate)

22. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I found Qobuz to be severely lacking in the “lean back” experience. It’s great for listening to albums, but the playlists and recommendations were really weak. Has this changed at all lately?

23. Hab

Hab Forum Resident

Merry Crymbal!!

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  24. Scott Sheagren

try it free for a month
    i tryed tidal and qobuz and compared the same albums on each one and qobuz was always the winner for me

jmrife likes this.
  25. Scott Sheagren

yeah im not perfect all the time spelling cymbal as im working at the same time.lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.