Type O Negative - None More Negative Box reissued by ROG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Krzych, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens Thread Starter

For Record Store Day Black Friday 2011, Roadrunner released the legendary Type O Negative None More Negative 12LP box set in a run of only 1000 copies that included the 6 Roadrunner studio albums on translucent green vinyl with a set of Type O bumper stickers. Almost a decade later, we here at Run Out Groove got tired of trying to find a NM copy so we decided to reissue the massive brick of None More Negative. This time for the world.

Remastered by Pete Weiss at Verdant Studios with lacquers cut by Chris Muth for maximum band-approved fidelity, this Deluxe set has received the Run Out Groove make-over. The six double barrel LPs will be pressed on 140 gram custom Green and Black mixed color vinyl, matched to the band-approved color we recently used for the re-release of Bloody Kisses. Pressed at Record Industry and inserted into six direct-to-board gatefold jackets, the entire discography is housed in a newly designed and band-approved hard outer slipcase. Includes a 35.4 x 11.8 inches fold-out poster, an additional insert with credits, and an exclusive backstage laminate only available in this set. The mammoth set includes World Coming Down as well as Life Is Killing Me , as well as all the original brain churning artwork from the original releases. Shipping in September and limited to 5,000 copies worldwide. This is set you’ve been waiting for.

None More Negative Box Type O Negative

Normally I'm trying to avoid pre-orders, but with Run Out Groove I can take a risk...

2. fitzchris72

fitzchris72 Forum Resident

Just ordered as well. I too try to avoid pre orders but couldn’t resist this. Now how to figure how to tell the wife I just impulsively spent $220 bucks without talking to her about it.

Greenalishi, Izozeles and Krzych like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Oh, just show her the asking price for the sole original copy currently on Discogs! She might even ask you why you didn't order two copies for $220! :evil:

c-eling, Krzych and fitzchris72 like this.
  4. neilyoung

neilyoung Active Member

It´s also available on Europe via Rough Trade (£189.99) and HHV (265€):

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/type-o-negative/type-o-negative-none-more-negative
    https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/type-o-negative-none-more-negative-box-666836?p=Gdci5f

Anyway, I wonder if European orders to the label are directly sent from Europe instead of the US, as it´s pressed in the Netherlands.
    Run Out Groove´s postage to Europe for this box is only 12.99$, and being 6 double LPs + extras it has to weight around 4 or 5 kg packaged. Too much weight for such a cheap postage, actually.

Neonbeam, c-eling and Krzych like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Probably depends on where the printing and packaging is done and finalized.
    The 06/07 German's are excellent. So hopefully those master's will be used for manufacture at Record Industry.
    Edit: Crap, I see these are being remastered. Never mind.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  6. c-eling

I'm going to wait for reviews on this one Neon. That remaster blurb has me scared just to blind buy for that kind of money. :laugh:

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I am not familiar with anything Peter Weiss has remastered. Anyone else?

8. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Apparently this boxset will be released by Rhino in Europe. I guess Warner's distribution channels in Europe will be used for it.

c-eling likes this.
  9. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I've had The Origin of the Feces on CD (with the infamous "a-hole" cover) since it was a new release ... and to this day, I still can't look directly at it :D

10. c-eling

Think Warner Germany hold the rights. Via their sub-label owned Roadrunner.
    An X on my old YT channel came directly from them (Warner Germany) :laugh:

11. neilyoung

neilyoung Active Member

an european press of the same box? do you have more details about it?

12. Black Stripes

A few European webshops have it listed as a Rhino Records release instead of Run Out Groove as label. I think Run Out Groove is a label for the U.S. market - but don't quote me on that, please.

Since this is going to be manufactured/pressed at Record Industry in the Netherlands, it is "an european press" anyway. Presumably the boxes/sleeves/jackets will have some different label logos, copyrights texts on the back, different catalog numbers etc. for the different markets (U.S./E.U.). The vinyl will probably be the same pressing. That's how it is often handled today by the major labels, in my experience.

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens Thread Starter

However Bloody Kisses reissued by ROG has different matrix numbers than the MOV version. Both pressed at Record Industry, most likely from the same source, but definitely different cut.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  14. Black Stripes

Yes, that is true.
    I think that might be the case because of licenses:
    Run Out Groove released it for the U.S. market. Run Out Groove is owned by Warner directly. Release even has a different artwork, an additional disc etc.
    Music on Vinyl released it for the E.U. market. They do not belong to Warner. They licensed it from Warner only. Very different configuration: only two discs but with an LP-sized booklet, different artwork colors etc. Because of the licensing Warner might not have allowed to use the same configuration (e.g. stampers) as their own U.S. release.

However Rhino as well as Run Out Groove are both owned by Warner directly. That leads to my conclusion the box sets for the E.U. and U.S. will have the same pressing but will differ slightly for the copyright texts and label logos.

This is my speculation only and somehow makes sense to me how this business works. Please don't take it as facts. Thanks.

nosliw and Krzych like this.
  15. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Just a heads up, I'm sure all of you that preordered already know but the box set's new release date is Sept 20th. Also, Johnny & Kenny did a really cool 1.5 hr unboxing vid on the Type O facebook page the other day. Definitely worth a watch fer all their stories.

16. ToothFangClaw

ToothFangClaw Forum Resident

I was notified by Run Out Groove yesterday that my order had shipped. Please post if anyone receives.

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yeah and please discuss the quality. Because I'm undecided if I'm going to get this. What's the difference between the EU and US version? Are both pressed in the Netherlands and the US version has a more sturdy sleeve?

c-eling likes this.
  18. Robot Mystic

Robot Mystic Forum Resident

I received mine a couple of days ago from Bullmoose. The box and all of the albums inside were very nicely put together in my opinion. It would have been neat if the album covers still had their titles and the inner sleeves more closely matched the original releases but that's just me being picky. The extra poster and backstage pass were also kind of lackluster but I honestly forgot those were being included.

Bloody Kisses, The Origin of the Feces, and Slow, Deep and Hard all sound good to me on my modest setup. Life is Killing me sounds good too but I did notices some troubling pops and static at the beginning of Less than Zero. Hopefully a good cleaning will fix it but if not that's a pretty bad defect for one of the rarest albums in the set. I haven't listened to this one in a while so the record popping sound effects at the beginning of (We Were) Electrocute caught me off guard!

I haven't listened October Rust or World Coming Down quite yet. WCD will hopefully get a spin this weekend and I'm saving October Rust for more fall like weather since its my favorite one and the main reason I ordered this set.

19. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I’m a huge TON fan. I have a few of the individual pressings of various albums, the original None More Negative, and the new ROG Bloody Kisses. I thought the ROG Bloody Kisses sounded great, and so far the rest of the albums sound great, with similar EQ and powerful dynamics. The box is nice. The black on black is fitting. As shown in a few places it uses the exact same jackets as the first NMN and it would have been nice if they touched them up a bit to make them look more professional. The clean (no band name or album title) cover art is a cool alternative though.

So far all my records are clean and flat with the correct labels. They can really be cranked. They sound so good. I didn’t hear non-fill or any other pressing defects that others have stated. No issues at the start of less than zero. I’m not all the way through everything, but so far so good.

Even at double the price of the original NMN, it’s still a bargain if you want these albums on vinyl. Get it!

A thought for another TON discussion, but I think this band is the most underrated rock band of all time. Just a great mix of Sabbath and The Beatles, with a bit of 80’s goth/new wave thrown in. The songwriting is so far beyond what their image or style may lead people to believe. I get it if you don’t the Count Dracula vocals, or it’s just not your thing overall, but I think to dismiss them and not give it a serious shot, one is really missing out. My opinion is currently being reinforced by one of my favorite songs of theirs: ...A Dish Best Served Coldly.

20. TongueDruid

Still waiting for my box (arrives Monday!) Sold my original pressing of Slow Deep & Hard and 2 different Bloody Kisses LPs to fund it, so I'm really hoping these masters/pressings are gooduns!
    As far as TON being underrated, I absolutely agree! The musical & lyrical writing, not to mention how genius/creative their production techniques were, was far beyond just about ALL metal bands, as far as I'm concerned. That perfect combo of brutal honesty, self-deprecative comedy & stone cold stoicism in Petuh's lyrics make it near impossible not to personally attach yourself to them! For me they also have that rare instance for a band I grew up with (been a TON nut since '94!) where the older I get the more I appreciate them. Not only ages well, but possibly gets better. Seems so far that it'll always be clever in all aspects, and refreshingly honest, no matter what time we're living in.
    They're just as musically genius to me as ANY of the best music in the 90s (in ANY genre) had to offer. Which is saying a lot considering many genres & artists hit their apex in that decade.

21. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Run Out Groove never disappoints. I am thrilled they were spearheading this definitely needed box. I sold my NMN box years ago and regretted it every autumn.

TongueDruid likes this.
  22. TongueDruid

Yeah I kept ROG's triple LP of Bloody K for the xtra tracks. Great pressing, was hoping the whole box is of the same quality!

23. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I think it is. Both the pressing quality and the sound quality are great.

TongueDruid likes this.
  24. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

This set has intrigued me from its announcement. I’m not entirely sure why. I have very eclectic musical taste but this is a borderline genre for me. I think my past experience with Run Out Groove titles plays into my interest.

I sampled some of their songs on line and I guess that kind of sold me. Very interesting stuff. I went ahead and ordered one. I look forward to exploring this catalog for the first time. Sounds like a beautiful set too. I’m always a sucker for a well done box set.

Stormrider77 and TongueDruid like this.
  25. TongueDruid

Nice!!! I hope you dig 'em. Good thing about Type O is that no album sounds the same, so you're bound to connect with something.

sonofjim likes this.