Is it me or the CS 6006 CD of Black Sabbath is the best version ever ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dissidence, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dissidence

Dissidence Human Thread Starter

I speak for the original Creative Sounds 6006 CD, NOT the 6006-2 one, which you must apply de-emphasis on your player or manually on PC.

I listened their first album over twenty years and have countless versions (this is my favorite album ever).
    So, the Castle with pre-emphasis, the bright Warner Bros, the very equalized WG Vertigo, clones of those (Teichiku TECP-23892, which is Castle with pre-emphasis already applied. Japanese vertigo 23PD-133, which is WB), the loud 1996 remasters, 2009 Sanctuary and brickwalled Black Box, 2014 HDtracks, their 2016 16/44.1 CD versions...
    Too much UK, US vinyl rips (PBTHAL, etc.) :laugh:

The original Creative Sounds 6006 CD is the best, imho. (I separated in Audition the "duo" tracks, for better titles selection.)
    You hear all instruments distinctly, and the sound isn't harsh or muffled. No sound glitches like some other versions (WB, HDtracks...). Just listen the eponymous title, Wizard. You have Tony, Geezer, Bill and Ozzy playing in your house !
    The jam fest (Warning) becomes a monster :wtf:

Opinions ?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Rider2, Sean, Music_dude and 3 others like this.
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It does sound great, why do you ask? Do you have a bunch of those you'd like to sell? ;)

Joking aside, I think I prefer the SACD, it has a bit smoother sound (no Wicked World though) without sacrificing anything.

Shvartze Shabbos and Dissidence like this.
  3. Dissidence

I forgot the SACD. Indeed, I have to hear it again.
    So, you're a french Sabbath fan too ? :whistle:

Rider2 likes this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, I like the Ozzy years and a couple later albums. :)

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Man, that's so weird. I picked one of these up last year and totally agree, its sounds amazing. I remember thinking it was some sort of bootleg. The only problem is that it has a skip that you can't buff out. I'll have to try ripping it to see if there's a work around.

Dissidence likes this.
  6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Not for me.... I have sold every Creative, Japan, Castle after I got the SHM-SACD. This is the best digital pressing and close to my LP rip of the orginal UK Vertigo (first pressing).

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I can't say because I've not heard it. These old discs and the 80s Castles have never been common in the U.S. and I can't be bothered to track down copies from used internet sellers hoping I get one that's not scratched to hell. If one shows up in a record shop in the used bins for a good price I might try it.

In the past I've had the 70s U.S. Green label LP (okay) 80s U.S. WB CD (okay) 96 Castle CD (better but unfortunately UK tracklist) and now the 2016 WB CD. The 2016 is my go-to version.

I don't have an SACD player and don't plan on buying one. I do have a needledrop that was given to me but haven't gotten around to listening to it.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Are you talking about a scratch or a manufacturing error? If the former, try EAC to rip then Cue Tools for digital repair. If that doesn't do it your last option is manual repair in Audacity or a program like Izotope.

808_state likes this.
  9. Dissidence

I heard the SACD again. Indeed, this beast is fantastic but Tony drowns out Bill (even Geezer a little), and I like all the instruments on the same level.
    Younger, I played in a band. So, I prefer maybe the Creative Sounds 6006 CD because of the terrific drums & bass clarity.
    But the SACD sounds definitely identical to UK master tapes. The CS has unique US master tapes I think, by studio rights obscurity.

Rider2, Music_dude and SOONERFAN like this.
  10. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Can't see a scratch so possibly a manufacturing error. I'll try that method and see what happens. I remember thinking "oh, this is great!" then...ddddddd. I found it randomly in a local used shop and thankfully didn't pay much for it.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I guess I'm a weirdo but I much prefer Wicked World to Evil Woman. It really sounds as though it belongs on that album. I just wish the recording quality was better for that track. I feel like Evil Woman belongs on a Deep Purple album.

ArpMoog, Mark J, hi_watt and 6 others like this.
  12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I quite like the sound of the CS Black Sabbath CD. My WB CD is a small step down. Wicked World is a great closing track on this CS CD version plus omitting Evil Woman is a plus for me. Great sounding disc!

Music_dude, 808_state and Dissidence like this.
  13. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

I'll go with the 86 Castle. De-emphed in Foobar, with Wicked World from the Creative Sounds, burned to CD. I've heard em all, Roland was right.

14. Dissidence

So there are UK or US master tapes sounding fans. I talk when the US ones seem correctly used (Creative Sounds 6006 for s/t).
    This is a very subjective subject. :sigh:

Rider2, Music_dude and SOONERFAN like this.
  15. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I have the 6006 Creative Sounds CD the og
    creator of this thread speaks of. It does sound great just as good as an original first US press on vinyl which could be The source for the CD. I bought a 1988 Warner CD to compare it to and the 1988 Warner CD is a slight step down. I can hear a little compression on the Warner CD.

Music_dude, SOONERFAN and Dissidence like this.
  16. Dissidence

I prefer Wicked World too. About the recording quality, they not played Wicked World on the same "almost live" session.
    And different guitar sound, Fender Strat instead of the Tony's iconic Gibson SG which he uses in all other tracks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  17. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

My understanding is that the original Creative Sounds 6006 CD of the S/T Black Sabbath has pre emphasis like the 1986 Castle discs. Is this correct?

18. Dissidence

6006 has no pre-emphasis. 6006-2 has it and not flagged !
    And they sound totally different.
    It's tricky, because only first 6006 is the one which I talk about. ;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Rider2, hi_watt, bataclan2002 and 2 others like this.
  19. To my knowledge, no Sabbath CS disc has PE. Some of them sound bright, so some people liked them better after adding a PE tag and listening to them de-emphasized, but none of the de-emphasized CS discs I checked ever sounded exactly like the original Castle of the same album (and IMO none ever sounded 100% right), plus some WB CDs sound even brighter without having PE. Thus, the idea that some of the CS discs are actually pre-emphasized is really just speculation, AFAIK.

There are multiple CS releases of the Sabbath s/t. Based on peak values, it looks like the one that differs from all others tested so far is the US 6006 with black printing on disc (the same one that Roland recommended for his hybrid, with de-emphasis added - matrix: INTER SERVICE PRESSE DIGIP 6006). The US 6006 red-printing CD has the exact same peak values as multiple 6006-2 releases and the German 449805-2:
    The Ultimate Black Sabbath Creative Sounds Compact Disc Thread

My favorite release of the debut so far is the SACD - which regrettably has the UK tracklisting (containing Evil Woman, not Wicked World). Haven't decided yet which copy of Wicked World I prefer.

SOONERFAN, Music_dude and Freezerburn like this.
  20. Freezerburn

So alas the Wicked World conundrum.
    I personally could live without Evil Woman entirely. I have it on a Crow Best Of anyway. Aside from the Creative Sounds, for Wicked World you may favor the Pearce Deluxe version. DR 11.

hi_watt likes this.
  21. Thanks, but I believe it was pointed out that WW on the Deluxe is a very bad copy, possibly even an LP-rip? Seems that the good tape for WW has always been in the US.

22. Freezerburn

I didn't know that. I will avoid. Another member suggested the 2 disc Collection, but I wonder if it's the same mastering as the infamous Black Box?

23. Dissidence

Just an anecdote. The original lineup gave one of their last gigs in northern france, october 20, 1978.
    At "Le palais des grottes", Cambrai. I was too young to see them. But the theatre has fallen into ruin since.
    No lies ! :righton:

Rider2 likes this.
  24. I don't think so, because the Black Box is from US sources. The 2009-2011 Deluxe Editions are from UK sources.

Yeah, a bootleg copy of that show exists. PM me if interested, but I have to warn you, it is not good-sounding.

Dissidence likes this.
  25. Freezerburn

I meant the 2 disc Best Of Collection from a few years back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.