Elvis at the International Hotel Las Vegas 1969 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by emjel, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I found all the talk on the recent RSD release pretty unbearable. All the problems of a performer who would rather be elsewhere as per the later touring years are there already. I shall buy the box though!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Daveymoore likes this.
  2. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Uh, that would be a gigantic box :) Something like 200 CDs? But could be interesting indeed :)

3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Ha ha! I just meant the stuff recorded with Chips in 1969....

BeatleJWOL, artfromtex and CBackley like this.
  4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I wonder how much of each set (the live 1969 box and the studio recordings digital set) will be available on services such as Spotify...

5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m still interested in getting box set because there are a few shows that I don’t have yet, and this material is great. And I’m definitely in for the 2-LP release because it will nicely complement my RSD purchase. But I’m disappointed at the download-only American Sound studio outtakes release. I was really hoping that studio material would be released as a nice box set.

6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It might seem like a lot, but all of those takes are either false starts or long false starts. The only complete take is Don't Cry Daddy. You'll Think of Me (take 14) is also complete but it's available on the Back In Memphis FTD.

7. CBackley

Interesting. So if I have the three relevant FTD releases covering American Sound sessions, this download doesn’t add much?

RSteven likes this.
  8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The expanded 8-CD version of That's the Way It Is is still on Tidal, I assume this whole set will be there too

windfall likes this.
  9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Not really. Can't see who this set is aimed at. The general public won't be interested and the fans probably already have most of it through FTD. It is too late, imo.

10. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

I think there is a category of fans who buy the main label releases (box sets, Legacy Editions etc.) but not the FTDs. Some of them are probably members of this forum. In theory, this box set is for them. However, many of these fans will probably still hesitate to buy this release because they are emotionally attached to physical products.. In any case, it will be interesting to observe which path Sony will follow on the main label in the future. This may be the first of many digital only releases.

11. CBackley

Thanks! You saved me some dough.

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Not every fan has every FTD release. I don’t.

13. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I hear that a lot on this forum about the Live In Las Vegas mix, but to tell the truth I quite like it. It has character, a kind of boozy swagger about it. Rough around the edges, but quite enjoyable in its own way. The piano does come and go, clearly audible on some songs and retracted on others.

I liked the mix of the RSD 2019 release without being blown away by it on first impression: I thought it sounded a bit clinical. It may just be that the peformance wasn't as exciting as others from the same period. Will have to give it another listen, as I assume the mixes on the new set will be consistent with each other.

RSteven likes this.
  14. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Me neither, I've got some of this stuff but if I picked up the balance from sources noted upthread it'd be more than the box and also I like this kind of thing so I'm getting it.

BeatleJWOL and RSteven like this.
  15. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

I have the three FTD with the American sessions on which I have rearranged in chronological order in iTunes. So I probably won’t go for the new download especially if most of the unreleased tracks are false starts. Thanks for the heads up on that info!!

Also on an unrelated question: The 8 disc ‘That’s the Way It Is’ box is this worth picking up? Which shows have already been released by Sony/FTD?

CBackley likes this.
  16. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Agreed. I too think a lot of recent archival box sets (and download sets) are way too late and that includes even the good ones like Dylan's Blood on the Tracks box. Back in 1990 when queuing overnight for Dylan tickets if I had said I had all the Blood sessions on cassette I would have been swamped by offers. Now folk often go "ho hum another box set". Re Elvis years ago I bought an expensive cd set of the American Sound sessions. I would buy an official set tomorrow but I am in a minority amongst my friends. It is too late and a lot of folk have moved on or given up. I know we hear about a constant stream of new young people coming to Bob or Elvis but back in the real world I am not so sure.

CBackley and Revelator like this.
  17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

That's it. I want the same thing.
    All the studio sessions at American Sound, masters, outtakes,
    alternates, false starts in a CD box-set.

18. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I don't have everything. Some FTD's went out of print before I had
    the chance to pick them up. The convenience of all professionally
    recorded 1969 concerts in one box-set is worth paying for.

Regarding the albums recorded at American Sound Studio, I don't
    have the FTD vinyl editions. The print runs were too short. They
    sold out within a couple of weeks. If they had doubled the print
    runs of From Elvis In Memphis, Back In Memphis and
    American Sound, for example, the LP's still would have sold
    out, but not as fast. I might have had a few months to pick 'em up.

Although I'm delighted with the CD editions those vinyl editions
    would be nice to hear. There aren't many Elvis LP's I want to own
    but anything from 1969 is a priority.

CBackley and RSteven like this.
  19. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Depends on whether you like Charlie Hodge or not.

8/10/1970 - One Night in Vegas (FTD)
    8/11/1970 MS - Live in Las Vegas (RCA/BMG)
    8/12/1970 MS - TTWII 2000 3-CD (RCA/BMG)
    8/13/1970 DS - The Wonder of You (FTD)

8/11/1970 DS - "I've Lost You, "I Just Can't Help Believin'" on original TTWII album
    8/12/1970 DS - "Patch It Up" on original TTWII album

Nosferatuz, Mark87, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  20. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The 8/12/70 DS also available the 2-disc Legacy Edition, plus the vinyl release Showroom Internationale.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think it is one of the worst Presley concert discs ever issued. Ferrante (at the direction from Ernst?) mixed out Larry Muhoberac from most of the release. Was it BMG’s attempt at trying to present an edgier, rock show (rather than something more dated), or was Muhoberac’s wonderful keyboard work not captured well by RCA? If it was the latter, why choose that particular concert for the first official release of a complete 1969 show (albeit with the monologue strangely displaced). I suspect it was the former. We will find out in a couple of months.

22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

It just drives me nuts when some later producer or engineer comes along and decides to remix an Elvis live concert and basically bury certain instruments on behalf their own rock sensibilities. Larry Muhoberac was a fantastic pianist as you have so well pointed out in some of your previous stellar posts, and Dennis Ferrante or his compadres who approved that mix should try and tell Jerry Lee Lewis that his piano is not really a "rock 'r' roll" instrument. Larry's funky and bluesy piano playing was an essential part of the early TCB band that made its first stand in Las Vegas in 1969.

23. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I don't think there was a problem recording the piano, a couple of these performances came out elsewhere on earlier releases (Silver Box, Collectors Gold) and the piano is there in the mix.

24. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

The piano is clearly audible on some (but not all) of the mixes on Live In Las Vegas.

I'm biased because I heard it before I knew precisely which instruments "should" be there.

25. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Haven't spun that disc in years to be honest, it never sounded good to these ears.

PacificOceanBlue and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.