Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures 40th Anniversary Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Emile?
    I've been really happy with his cuts as such I've been searching them out.
    A few months ago I grabbed that Vertigo Cocteau Twins Treasure x2

nosliw likes this.
  2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Yup, the Canadian pressing of Unknown Pleasures was done by Emile. The Treasure pressing with the bonus 12" single sounds great, too!

c-eling likes this.
  3. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

I was referring to the poster’s claim that ‘no band since Joy Division had achieved a huge cultural significance after only 2 albums which are now considered contemporary classics’.

The quality of the music is a moot point..The first two Oasis albums are regarded as classics whether we agree or not...Oasis had a remarkable impact on youth culture in the mid nineties that far eclipsed anything achieved by The Roses,The Smiths or Joy Division in the decade previously.

I am not suggesting that Oasis are a more interesting or talented band than any of the other Mancunian legends referred to above,mind.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. c-eling

Discovered him by accident, about 7 years ago I ran into his Power, Corruption & Lies and Love Will Tear Us Apart side by side at a pawn shop at a buck a piece. So over the years if I can find his stuff at a good price I grab it :)

nosliw likes this.
  5. So to briefly continue this diversion: how much does a blank reel tape cost these days? I understand they're fairly expensive.

6. There was a Canadian LP pressing? Wow, didn't know that until just now. I only ever saw the domestic CDs. My only vinyl copy is an Italian pressing I bought in the early '80s, which alas lacked the textured cover. Sounds just dandy, though.

nosliw likes this.
  7. nosliw

I got this from Aux 33 via Discogs a couple years ago and from what I can tell, it's much harder to find than other Canadian pressings of Joy Division for some reason. And I'm also not sure why it was released in 1987, eight years after the album was released.

The Canadian pressing has a textured cover, by the way. It's quite nice.

c-eling and Dudley Morris like this.
  8. That's true of the original Canadian CDs of the albums as well, that the inserts and traycards reflected the textures of the original album covers. The only Canadian JD LP I recall seeing was Still, which was a pretty close repro of the original as well. PolyGram distributed a lot of interesting things up here during the '80s - like, where else did the first Test Department album get a major label release?

nosliw and c-eling like this.
  9. nosliw

I thought it was interesting to find the PolyGram LP pressing of Test Dept's Beating The Retreat, which I got it from a flea market in Whitby a couple years back. Which reminds me, I'll have to find some Test Dept. releases myself. I own the double LP 45RPM cut of that album, Terra Firma, and The Unacceptable Face of Freedom so far.

They also distribute Banzai Records pressings of various metal albums and singles as well. PolyGram is quite an interesting label indeed.

c-eling and Dudley Morris like this.
  10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I've haven't bought a blank tape in decades, I lucked out by going to flea markets/goodwills and often find stacks of them for like 50 cents each.
    There are more modern blanks to be had, I'm not up on them tho. I do see a lot of sealed old stock on ebay and often they can be had under $10 a pop.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  11. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

The Velvet Underground made music over 50 years ago and are still influencing bands today likewise with Joy Division 40 years later. Oasis have had nowhere near as much impact.

I agree there have been other bands from the 90's (namely Radiohead, Massive Attack and others) that have had a huge cultural impact changing the course that popular music has taken.

Oasis though are not one, unless a load of pissed up people at the end of a wedding singing Don't look back in anger is some how now considered changing the direction of music. The new incumbents of Oasis's crown are Coldplay, don't mistake popularity with true cultural impact.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Fascinating - so reel is your media of choice to listen to when relaxing?

13. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I'm a weird case, but here's how it goes...I have 21 rooms in my house with only the 4 bathrooms unequipped with a nice stereo/surround system.
    My house was built by relatives 152 years ago, my attic is like a log cabin with sloped roof and awesome raw lumber acoustics.
    I have a 25k plus collection mostly vinyl, but rather than lumber them up and down steps, I'll make a copy on reel for the attic. there's also reel for downstairs but I do a lot with sacd/dvd quad 8-track etc. on the lower floors.

johnnyb1964 and Echoes Myron like this.
  14. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

The new re-imagined video for Insight is now online...

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Finally had some time to enjoy this new pressing. I really like it! It's my only LP version of this title. My copy is absolutely flat, and no surface noise. The record seems even >180g, but I haven't weighed it.

I didn't do a direct A/B with my original UK CD version, but overall I'm very happy with the sound. Very clear, but not bright at all. I don't detect any mastering compression, the bass on "Interzone" is awesome!

16. Rufus Oculus

Rufus Oculus Active Member

I am comparing this with my original bought in 1979 and it sounds a very different record. Much more aggressive and in your face. All the air that was in the original seems to have been sucked out. All the little subtleties of Hannett's production removed. Still. The band were famously unhappy with the sound on their debut thinking all their power had been muted by Hannett so perhaps this new version is closer to their vision. But it's not the record I have been listening to and have loved for 40 years. No worries. It is a nice quiet pressing and is cheap.

bettsaj and Dave Decadent like this.
  17. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I’m just starting to compare this with an original Porky and it stands up really well. If you like red vinyl, you’ll be more than satisfied.

Rufus Oculus, Dave Decadent and jimhb like this.
  18. marcfeld69

There is a definite bias towards the left channel on the Porky, whereas the 40th seems more centred. Will keep checking.

Rufus Oculus and Dave Decadent like this.
  19. marcfeld69

Bump. Anyone?

20. marcfeld69

Another l'il bump. Any takers?

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

Curious to know as well.
    I'd like to see a visual of a needledrop. Is the channel imbalance that bad?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  22. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

is that the one bundled with Aikea Guinea?

23. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

these videos are abominable, I wonder who is behind them. Every single one is so far from my conception of these songs it's laughable. I really wish they'd stop.

breakingglass, jimhb and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

It is!

25. marcfeld69

No. It’s just noticeable if you play them in sequence.

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.