New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I like the only song he sings naturally, without any of the mannerisms i hear on the others.
    Don't know if i make myself understood... :confused:

Craig and smilin ed like this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It sounds like his most mannered vocals on the entire album to these ears.

Scotian and Craig like this.
  3. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Springsteen and band performed at JC's Freedom Hall on what is called "the Chicken Scratch Tour," promoting the third album.

On subject: Western Stars contains some strong material.

OptimisticGoat, NunoBento and DavidD like this.
  4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Oh see...now that looks more like a clouds-in-the-sky vinyl than the Barnes & Noble set did. Even though the Barnes & Noble set is still cool.

But that is very nice vinyl. I look forward to mine. Also my Western Stars t-shirt!! :)

RSteven likes this.
  6. Richard Maryanski

Richard Maryanski Forum Resident

Looks cool. Which version is that ? From what retailer ?

7. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

If nothing else, the very favorable response to this album will make him less gun shy about releasing more new music. I'm very impressed by it, for what it's worth.

8. Richard Maryanski

Richard Maryanski Forum Resident

Wanted to comment on the sound quality of the CD vs. the vinyl. I do not have a high end system, probably more mid-range, Music Hall 2.2 with Sony ES (last beast they made) Oppo BDP-103 and Canton Ergo speakers. Really pleased with the sound of the CD. DR numbers look poor but this is a great sounding CD. I actually prefer over the vinyl. I got the regular black vinyl version. My first copy of the vinyl had a large mark on the last song, popped all the way through. Second copy was ok, need play it all the way through again to double check.

May check out the hi-res, there was an earlier favorable comment in this thread. DR numbers looked same as CD.

RSteven and Rockford & Roll like this.
  9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Amazon CA. Looks different on the turntable :cheers:

[​IMG]

Richard Maryanski likes this.
  10. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I buy everything and anything Bruce puts out... this is far better than The Promise, Wrecking Ball & High Hopes, but memory tells me E Street didn't have much to do with those last 2.

11. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

My initial vinyl order was delayed a week after release date by amazon... ordered in May.

I went to Target to buy the CD last weekend after getting the vinyl... all of the CDs were sold out, they had a row of blanks in the "NEW" section.

The death of physical media was greatly exaggerated by the big box stores that killed off our independents (Amazon included) and now the demand is larger than the supply IMO.[/QUOTE]

DavidD and RSteven like this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Especially when you are dealing with a still-fairly-popular legacy artist— whose fans skew older and less inclined to stream.
    It’s inexcusable to not have anticipated demand for this album in that format.

RSteven likes this.
  13. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

14. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

Springsteen: "It's kind of waiting for its moment. Good music doesn't go away!"

Great quote there. I’m really glad this album hit such a high mark after we’d been hearing all of those little tidbits about it through the various mentions of these songs over the last 5 years or so.

RSteven, Mfj55, HarvG and 1 other person like this.
  15. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

+1 on this, in case anyone's still on the fence about picking this up. Standard back EU pressing is the Chris Bellman cut, pressed at MPO.

Was a little trepidatious when I clocked their logo in the deadwax, as a few of the recent releases they've done have had QC problems (eg, Dylan BOTT test pressing... )

But this one is shiny, flat and dead silent (literally maybe one pop throughout the 4 sides). Recommended.

Tojo, OptimisticGoat and DBMartin like this.
  16. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Very good read. Thanks for posting!

RSteven and HarvG like this.
  17. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Amongst the mixed reaction to "Sleepy Joe's Cafe", I'm surprised to apparently be the first one to say Bruce wrote a Ry Cooder song.

DavidD, Jesus Jeronimo, Bill and 2 others like this.
  18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree that “good music doesn’t go away”, so why hurry?
    But I guess that explains why he was in a rush to release Wrecking Ball and High Hopes...

DavidD and Rockford & Roll like this.
  19. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Although I liked "High Hopes" more than most seemed to, in hindsight I'm seeing that album as an odd release. Out of character and superfluous.

JoeF. likes this.
  20. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Just received this email. I had ordered the web exclusive vinyl from Springsteen’s website. Very cool:

Dear Fan,

We wanted to give you an update on your Western Stars order. We apologize that your order shipped later than expected. Due to the delay, we will be refunding your order in full as well as sending you an exclusive Western Stars album cover poster. Please allow our team 7-10 business days to process your refund. You will see your funds returned to your account 2-3 business days after the refunds have been processed.

Thank you for your patience and support.

21. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

I agree. Previously, when Springsteen had released new albums comprised of reworked outtakes, those albums (Devils and Dust, We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions) still came across as thematically and sonically cohesive song cycles. High Hopes may have been the first Springsteen album to sound like a collection of nearly arbitrarily selected and sequenced songs. Having said that, if I treat it as lengthy CD single for The Wall featuring that indispensable track plus 11 B-sides, it's somehow more palatable.

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Wow, big thumbs up to Bruce. If only all recording artists (and companies in general) displayed that level of customer service.

23. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

The UK pressing sounds better to me than the US Barnes and Noble exclusive. Love this album.

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

:goodie::goodie::goodie:

25. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Actually heard "High Hopes" on local radio last week, and I never remember hearing this redone song on the radio before, and it sounded good... not good enough to make me pull out the album again... but High Hopes as redone on the album was much improved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.