Hana sl = Fantastic

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tablet Man, Apr 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tablet Man

Tablet Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

Installed a new Hana SL on my Rp8 this morn to replace my worn Rega Ania.
    Wow after only listening a couple of hours I'm loving it!!!
    I've not spent time on setting it up as good as I could, I'm even using washers as spacers until they come through the post.
    Tonight's gonna be good!!

2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Wait till it runs in......a cartridge that punches above its weight and an amazing tracker too- enjoy.:edthumbs:

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I found my Hana EL took longer to break in than I expected. Minor sibilance didn't go away completely until around hour 60. But now it is surprisingly good!

John K.

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I wasn't thrilled with this cart at first but glad I gave it time to come around. Definitely the best cartridge I've owned.

5. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Just curious, not meaning to put you on the spot, but what are some of the other more expensive cartridges you think it compares to? We often see comments like this here, but also often without context. So at $750, is it better than the AT ART9, or Benz Micro Wood SL, or some of the other $1000 cartridges? That seems to be a pretty competitive price range now, Dynavector and many others in there, along with some of the high end MM carts too.

6. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Oh you haven’t heard anything yet. But you will!! My Hana SH continues to surprise and thrill with newer levels of refinement and smoothness. Just when I thought I have heard all that analog could possibly deliver, I’ll take a time out and spin a record and I have to pinch myself because I realize I haven’t heard the half of it. Installed a year ago, the Hana has me pretty convinced it’s the steal of the decade it was born into.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Helom

Helom Forum member

2nd this. Context is always helpful.

The OP is the 2nd member I'm aware of who is happy with the SL following the higher-priced Aria. Another had a Koetsu Rosewood prior to the SL.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Before my two Hana SLs l had an Ortofon Cadenza Black.....which l trashed:rant:so l purchased the Hana SL and l have to say the Black is a better cartridge however where the SL scores over the Black is fullness of sound, tracking ability ( really) and a very involving and coherent sound.... the Black has better tonal quality and superb imaging, also found it leaner than the SL, for whatever the SL costs it is a stone cold bargain.:)

All in my room, system of course.:hide:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Anyone here had the chance to compare the Hana vs Denon DL-301 mkII? I would be looking at the Hana for a future upgrade on my Pro-Ject RPM 9.1.

lemonjello and Daniel Thomas like this.
  10. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I've had the DL301MKII and now have the AT33PTG/II which is the better cart in all regards. I daresay it might struggle against the higher end Hana carts so hopefully they gives you a pointer - without any real science to it!

11. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Thanks for the input! This probably won't happen for a while,but I've had my eyes on this cart for some time now.

myles likes this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

I was also considering that Denon prior to the SL. My past dealer, who was a real straight shooter (a shame he quit for greener pastures), said the Denon is a very boring, unremarkable cartidge in compared to just about any other (many) they stocked.

13. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I'm more interested in thoughts/experiences with the Hana ML. It looks to be the perfect cartridge to match up with the HP phono stage in my Jeff Rowland Design Group Continuum S2 integrated, and replace my much loved, but worn, Lyra Argo i.

WapatoWolf and Pythonman like this.
  14. thegage

It is a really, really nice cartridge. Elusive Disc has a trade-in program that puts them at about $1100, which is a steal. I'd rate it over the Soundsmith MIMC Star, Dynavector XX2, VAS Nova. Very easy to dial in, one of the best I've heard at minimizing surface noise, and a big, bold sound.

John K.

FashionBoy and Bananas&blow like this.
  15. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

You’ve heard all of them?

16. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I have a Hana ML arriving today and will report back my impressions compared to my Dynavector XX2 MKII.

17. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I find it hard to believe it'll better my Audio Technica AT33PTG/II in minimizing surface noise. The AT is among the best I've heard in that regard. Stone cold quiet. And tracks like a champ. But I'm still mighty interested in the ML.....

culabula likes this.
  18. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I've owned both and I believe my Hana SL is the best yet in all respects including surface noise.

JMCIII likes this.
  19. thegage

Owned all of them. As well as Dynavector 20X2, Rega Exact, a couple of Benz L wood carts, Music Maker, but those were so long ago I can't really make valid comparisons.

John K.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    WapatoWolf likes this.
  20. thegage

Out of the box, with about five minutes spent on alignment, the ML tracked everything, including inner grooves. No sibilance at all. It's supposed to need about 100 hours of break in, and I've got about 30 on it. I can't wait to see how better it gets.

John K.

JMCIII likes this.
  21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

What's the benefit of the low output MH?
    Music Direct specs, and prices are the same for high output and low output.

22. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

If you believe that the lower mass and therefor lower inertia, of a moving coil cartridge must lead to improved sound quality as compared to a moving magnet, the you will want the low output, that is, moving coil version.

As in all things audiophile, some think it's heresey and some think it's gospel. Still others think that, even if it's 100% true, it is inaudible to normal ears.

The black art of moving coil cartridges is a very deep and very dark rabbit hole.

WapatoWolf and maglorine like this.
  23. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Output is 2mv and 47k ohms r for the high vs. 0.4 mv output and 100 ohms recommended for the low.

24. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Presumably he is referring to a high output and a low output version of an MC cartridge. Both remain MC, the high output is just build using a different magnet but that does not make it a MM.

25. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

More typically, it is more windings and hence more mass, quality MC carts are already using very high strength magnets so I don't think there is a lot than can be done there to increase the output. Below are the winding specs for my Benz Wood SL and M/H variants, it's really just a matter of how many coil windings you use ...

Internal ohm:
    12Ω (Low) 24Ω (Medium) 90Ω (High)

Guildx500 and Uglyversal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.