The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

I hope there are tight trousers in the film

spindly likes this.
  2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

And can you get back to me with a review?

3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Has this movie been bullying you?

4. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

Yes. I'm planning to go. Looks like a fun movie with a great soundtrack. What's not to like?

5. Teek

Teek Forum Resident

100% yes.

motownboy likes this.
  6. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I've been offline for over a week. By chance I picked up a flyer in a record store and it turned out to be a voucher for 2 tickets for a free screening of Yesterday in NYC on June 3. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but I liked it!

andrewskyDE and MoonPool like this.
  7. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Rather this kind of flight of fancy than another biopic.

Rock is going through the same commemoratve process that Jazz went through in the 80s and 90s - New York New York, Cotton Club, Let's Get Lost, Round Midnight, Bird, Mo Better Blues etc. The fans who came to the music in the period spanned by Parker and Gordon at their peaks would have been roughly between the ages of 45 and 65 at the time. Not dissimilar to the core rock audience today.

What I would really like is to see the rock life (of whatever era) dramatised in the way that the folk scene was in Inside Llewyn Davis. Something that has the true feeling of the music rather than a processional presentation of facts taking an act from nowhere to the affirmative curtain call. Almost Famous smelled right but was way too sentimental. A rock film in the same vein as Any Given Sunday is long overdue.

VU Master, bonus, D.B. and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

You must have loved the Queen film. Very little "processional presentation of the facts" in that film.

groundharp, Jarleboy and Bassist like this.
  9. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Danny Boyle film ✔️
    Girl from Baby Driver ✔️
    Great soundtrack ✔️
    Movie I can take my parents to ✔️

I’m in. Seems like good fun and the premise is cool. Honestly seeing Paul and Ringo in it would be lame for me. Now having Jack Black, Paul Rudd, Justin Long, and Jason Schwartzman playing the Beatles in the movie would be great. It honestly seems like a fun romantic comedy that will be elevated by the amazing director, and the great music.
    It also sounds like a hit and will remedy what many members of these forums bitch about all the time that young people don’t listen and appreciate Beatles music. The hated Ed Shereen will help bring young kids in so don’t be surprised if this sets off a Beatles revival of sorts. Nothing bad about that.

10. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Ha! Good point. The vast majority of viewers will accept both the Queen and Elton movies as being true-to-life even if in no way factually correct.

I enjoyed hearing a lot of Queen's music at near-gig level volumes over a great sound system but as we know much of the story takes enormous liberties. I thought the Elton film was a good bit better as artist biopics go because of the debt it owes to musical theatre. It didn't pretend to be realistic and it maybe told us more about the subject because of the flights of fancy.

The problem with presenting events that are in the very recent past is that there hasn't been time for the truth to become overgrown by myth, conjecture and competing versions. Especially true when the movies in question are officially approved by their subjects. This is perhaps why the likes of Round Midnight and Bird seem to function better both as movies and as expressions of real musical art happening in a time and place.

These things are very difficult to pull off unless they focus on a very limited period of the artist's life. Which is perhaps why an Any Given Sunday type approach to the music might tell us more about rock and roll culture than a movie that claims to be based on actual events.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

"Yesterday" on Jimmy Kimmel. I like Himesh Patel's apparent ability to let the songs do the work without over-doing the emoting:

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Watched it today. The soundtrack is great all the way through. Enjoyable movie. The first 40 minutes were probably the best but there were breakout moments all throughout. I liked it.

Cledwyn, Hightops, Jarleboy and 7 others like this.
  13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

we've all been there :uhhuh:

Upsiditus and RayS like this.
  14. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I may be wrong and it might be great, but I have to say my gut reaction to this is a resounding 'NO'.

– Richard Curtis – ✘
    – Heartwarming romance – ✘
    – Dumb sci-fi premise (not exactly The Man in the High Castle, is it?) – ✘
    – Ed Sheeran – ✘
    – James Corden– ✘✘✘✘✘✘✘✘✘✘
    – Danny Boyle – ✘ (Still haven't forgotten 'Trance', Danny, though I wish I could. Now, there's two hours of my life I'm not getting back. I haven't heckled a movie since I was 10 at the ABC Minors but I was this close to: "Oh, fer Chrisssakes, just tell him where the f***ing paintings are and we can all go home!")

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  15. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I kept wanting to punch the dude for not realizing he’s in love with Lily James until the end of the money. She’s like Keira Knightley with a woman’s body.

16. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

It ain't necessary <(a word I always gotta look up to spell)
    No Beatles movie not actually featuring the band is, but who cares, a good flick is a good flick. I can suspend reality within reason in many cases. I wouldn't dream of reading a Beatles fantasy book, because when my interest leans to reading about the band, reality provides so much, and is as good as fiction in itself. That said, I liked "Backbeat" and "I wanna hold your hand" quite a lot, and probably a couple others I'm not remembering.
    I personally can watch a movie much faster than I can read, so not too much time is wasted. From the trailer, the photography looks spectacular, but it appears their shooting for poignance, which for me usually doesn't work, and comes off heavily contrived when delving into a fantasy situation. I will see the movie, but a very low priority for me. Probably will wait till it's on Amazon Prime in a year or 2.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Mike Visco and bonus like this.
  18. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Saw it today. Enjoyed it. Don't see why alota people are all up in arms about it... "Are Paul and Ringo in it", "what about the trailer with the 2 guys feet," just go see the thing and find out. It's nothing super-special, just kind of a cute little movie that celebrates the Beatles music and its influence on the world in an interesting way. You could do way worse. There is the one part towards the end that I had no idea was coming, and it hit me pretty hard. If you're thinking of going to see it, stop reading anything about it and just go. Way more effective if it hasn't been spoiled for you.

19. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

I loved it

Chris DeVoe and AudiophilePhil like this.
  20. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Good movie.
    Best film Zemeckis did..
    Fun stuff

Upsiditus, 51IS and MoonPool like this.
  21. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

No, I would never spend money or one second on this.

groundharp and beasandpeans like this.
  22. lastdamdown

lastdamdown Forum Resident

Uhh...what was that gawdawful follow-up to Trainspotting with Cameron Diaz and Ewen McGregor. I walked out and demanded my money back. Haven't done that very often.

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I don't think it's a state secret but just in case somebody might think it's a spoiler I won't post it. But there is a soundtrack out now.

24. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

A Life Less Ordinary.

I thought it was OK, not great.

25. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

The premise of this film has already been used to better effect in an old British sitcom, Goodnight Sweetheart, where the central character travels back in time to wartime England and occasionally entertains the locals with Beatles songs. So it's not an original idea. The casting is also mystifying but in this PC crazy world we now live in, maybe not surprising.

Actuarybrad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.