Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. street legal

street legal Senior Member

There is an option on the DVD to watch the film *without* the sermons, which is my preferred way of watching it.

bobcat, MAYBEIMAMAZED and Spencer R like this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Michael Shannon is an excellent actor.

3. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

He did a fine job. His mannerisms and facial nuances were effective, yet not overdone.

stewedandkeefed and streetlegal like this.
  4. Gabba Gabba

Gabba Gabba Forum Resident

Yes! Normally I would have skipped thru the acting parts but after watching the 1st sermon it got me thinking and by the 2nd one I totally got " IT " and thought it was a nice addition. Shannon brought an intensity and energy to the preaching that I don't think Bob could have brought at this time. Shannon's acting gave the songs room to breathe if that makes any sense?

5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Working my way through the big box, Discs 3 and 4 are less interesting to me then Discs 1 and 2, but there are still gems to be found, especially the versions of Caribbean Wind and Every Grain Of Sand on Disc 4.

I apologize if this has been touched on earlier in this giant thread, but I found the radio promo spot for the gospel tour fascinating in that it gave so much space to quotes from fans who were clearly upset about Bob’s new direction. The 1966 “Judas” concert will always loom larger in Bob’s mythology, but the Christian period was clearly a far bigger throw-down to Bob’s audience in the 70s than going electric was in the 60s. One thing I admire about him Bob is how he always stuck to his guns and followed his muse where it led him, regardless of what the fans or critics thought about it at the time. And I do remember “fans” in my circle of friends and family who were bitterly upset about these records when they first came out.

6. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

The Bard likes this.
  7. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

8. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Wow. That really hits home. Will really touch Bob, no doubt.

She was the back-up singer of Bob's '80s output.

R.I.P. Clydie King.

duggan, DeeThomaz and The Bard like this.
  9. roombythelake

roombythelake Forum Resident

Good that the box came out in time – with these long-awaited archive items, often those responsible don't get to see the belated recognition.

dee likes this.
  10. EDLIS Café

EDLIS Café Forum Resident

Disc 9: Bonus DVD
    Trouble No More – A Musical Film

DVD EXTRAS:
    Shot of Love (Live July 25, 1981) = Disc 2 Track 10 audio
    Cover Down, Pray Through
    Jesus Met the Woman at the Well (Alternate version)
    Ain’t Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Complete version)
    Precious Angel (Complete version)
    Slow Train (Complete version)

Does anyone have the dates [and therefore the places] of the last five tracks on Disc 9?

Or the film tracks?

1 Jesus Met The Woman at the Well (Traditional) (Rehearsal)
    2 Are You Ready?
    3 Solid Rock
    4 Slow Train
    5 When He Returns
    6 Precious Angel
    7 Saved
    8 Do Right To Me Baby (Do Unto Others)
    9 Ain't Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody
    10 What Can I Do For You?
    11 Pressing On
    12 Abraham, Martin And John (Richard Holler)

Do not recall it above in the thread, but just point me to it if it is there or elsewhere...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Richard--W and Hep Alien like this.
  11. EDLIS Café

EDLIS Café Forum Resident

12. streetlegal

Just listening to "Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar." It's outrageously good. Feverishly apocalyptic. Love the delivery of this line and how it echoes, in its unexpected pause break, the very division it describes:

"There's a wall between you //

and what you want and you got to leap it."

13. streetlegal

Last night I watched the movie the whole way through for the first time.

What can I say? Sometimes I can be really stubborn. Sometimes it takes me months, even years, to psyche myself.

I found it a thing of beauty. I found the sermons touching, on point, and not the least overbearing, enhancing the overall experience. Michael Shannon was mesmerizing. I think I was expecting--perhaps dreading--irony. Maybe there is some—I’ll know when I revisit—but it felt sincere.

My minor gripe is that the version of "What Can I Do For You," while containing a beautiful harmonica solo, falls flat when compared to the leaked version of yore (ditto "I Ain’t Gonna Go to Hell").

I look forward to watching this again. If you haven't watched it, you should too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  14. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Actually,I've never watched it yet even though I purchased it near it's release. So far I've only been through the first 4 CD's. Thanks for the encouraging report about the DVD,I'll be watching soon.

The MEZ and streetlegal like this.
  15. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I love the radio spot as well. I don't think the people in the spot are real fans recorded on the street at a show. But what they say is an accurate representation of what many people felt. The fifth person on the ad is a familiar voice (actress Sally Kirkland?) who is clearly someone professionally trained in vocal delivery.

Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I’ve heard it suggested the audience quotes are real, except for the final lady. That would seem like a trademark Dylan blend of truth & invention.

Also worth noting the music in the background, as I recall, features otherwise unreleased rehearsals of the songs.

17. Fender Relic

Finally....I woke at 3 AM and just didn't know what to do but it's been on my mind the past couple of weeks to get the DVD out and watch. Loved it.... Bob so focused, energized, committed to the songs and the band...woo-hoo...tight. Drummond was an animal on the bass. He must have lit the fire for the arrangements and presentation. What a band...I don't think I've ever stopped to realize how special that group was. Seeing it live and Bob being so into it added an extra dimension, it all makes more sense now. I was prepared to not like the sermon parts but it was actually OK.

18. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

It's quite a powerful unit. Once they got rolling on stage, that train was a-coming.

Its just too bad they didn't include the gospel performance of the opening act doing the song "If I got my ticket Lord". It told the story of the mother who went to visit her wounded son. It was a real highlight of both the shows I saw in Pittsburgh.

19. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I was really delighted when one the copies I picked up of the Birmingham show I attended had the Gospel Set attached. I sometimes wonder how many were actually taped by the bootlegging fraternity!!

20. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Is the video available on its own? Streaming service?

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Can't keep up with the official ever-growing Dylan Discography. Really. Full-Time Job! It was already more than I'd heard.

Finally got just the 2 Disc TNB. The quality of song and performance that is "I Believe In You" D1T3 makes it easy for me to believe. Found it to be a pretty remarkable track.

I swear these 6CD+ BS releases are meant to feature Bob Dylan as the only artist of the 20th Century ;). I still have to deal with cherrypicking tracks from the RTR box set

While the sonic fidelity of the soundboard mixes from the 1st 2 discs of TNM consistently sound to me "better than good enough' so many performances are so much more better than that :).

"When He Returns" D1T5 is another unforgettable track to my mind.

The tone of voice he uses when when he sings...
    "sister, let me tell ya" in "Precious Angel" sounds so purely confidential. Reminds me a little of the pure expression of "Oh Sister" - the timing and sense of openess is appealing. The backing vocals are a real treat towards the end of "Precious Angel" D1T7.

Then there's the depth of gentility and sincerity that inhabits the vocal in "Covenant Woman" which makes it another unforgettable track, like "When He Returns" and "I Believe in You"...almost sounds like during that performance of "Covenant Woman" he has found his NS/NM voice.

Wish "Solid Rock" was in a little better sound quality, D1T11.

"What Can I Do For You?" D1T12 is another performance and song that moves me and is a memorable one to me. I enjoy both the subtlety and drama in it and the directness of it. There's a 'Country music' kind of 'Soul-fulness' in it and that last harmonica solo accompanied by the background singing is like being part of a living, breathing musical experience.

I love the tempo, phrasing, and arrangemet of "In The Garden" D1T14 too.

I'm going to need to hear discs 3 and 4 too. Thankfully I still have another disc of performances and songs to listen to for now.

It's easy to hear Infidels and Empire Burlesque as natural musical 'offspring' from these Gospel era performances imo.

22. Fender Relic

Thanks for that great post! :righton:

23. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks for reading! Appreciate your reply!

24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Hmm, I received this set for Christmas this year and have listened to all of the CDs countless times but for some reason I have yet to watch the DVD. I guess tonight is as good a time as any.