The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I tell ya what, i went to see biopic "Bohemian Rhapsody" and felt nothing BUT manipulated. The "Yesterday" film that i saw yesterday did not affect me in that way at all. Never once did it seem to me a rip-off or cashing-in on the Beatles in any way.

2. Cool hand luke

I gotta admit, i had tears as well at the twist. The movie went from lightweight fun to something a lot deeper at that point. For me anyway.

3. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

4. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

Absolutely. I'm so glad I didn't spoil the twist for myself in advance. The impact was considerable, for me too. Made sense as well, considering the premise of the film.

stevenson66g, downer, jricc and 2 others like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm kind of surprised about so much angst over a run of the mill feel good movie.
    There are only something like seven actual movies ... with minor variations. This to me seems like a bit of fun. I don't even think it has all that much to do with the Beatles, or Beatles legacy, but I haven't seen it yet, but I will be seeing it.

It is beyond me why this would offend anyone as a theme for a movie.
    Note to some Beatles fans. Being militantly against everything in the name of the Beatles, does nothing but turn people away from the band.

6. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

THIS. Whatever happened to just having fun?

7. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

+1

8. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

May be a fact, but not sure how that’s relevant to whether one enjoys the movie or not?

9. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Of course it is unnecessary, its a film made for entertainment by Hollywood. I'll watch it at some point, Danny Boyle is generally excellent.

If you are giving it a wide berth then I assume you believe that it somehow tarnishes the Beatles and their music. If so, you are on the wrong forum, this place does far more than a 2 hour film could.

I'm secretly hoping that Danny has visited here during the research of the film, and has somehow worked a scene into the film where the Beatles on the SH Forums don't exist, and I can stop endless crapping on about having a Beatles and related subforum.

Jarleboy, andrewskyDE, ARK and 3 others like this.
  10. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

:biglaugh:Correct

11. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I kept wanting to shout that it’s Father Mackenzie and those darn socks! :laugh:

Zeki likes this.
  12. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I haven't seen it yet, but we're planning on going on Friday. It seems like a fun movie and if it creates new Beatles fans, then that's awesome.

My hope is that, since the band licensed the use of their songs in this, that *maybe* it could open the gates for an actual Beatles biopic at some point. I know we've discussed this on this forum before. I want them to recruit Sam Taylor-Wood (director of Nowhere Boy) and use the cast from that movie. The kids are the right age and I think it would be really fun.

I can dream ...

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I saw it yesterday (heh) with lowered expectations, and I liked it better than I thought I would.

I don't care for "Feel Good Rom-coms", but this one is better than most. The writing is fine, not as funny as it thinks it is (I laughed around 4 times, but they were good laughs), and very predictable. But the movie is about more than a guy introducing Beatle songs to the world, although that's a great hook. A couple cringey moments, but not enough ruin the good parts. I think Danny Boyle is a very good story-teller - he seems to be a hired hand on this one, not quite in his element, but does a very respectable job.

I would put the quality and my enjoyment of the movie along the lines of "About A Boy".

As for these quotes:
    ^^ Those are pretty much the premise of the movie, and an answer to those complaints is presented.

Scopitone, Troyh, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  14. gfrobe

gfrobe Forum Resident

I did like it but to me it's completely a straightforward romantic comic fantasy. Stylistically it's Danny Boyle but script and soppy, all too familiar love story is Richard Curtis. Fun to watch but could have been much better.

15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

Am definitely no purist, I think Mark Shippers book was much funnier and would have made, potentially, a funnier film. For obvious reasons, it wouldn't now.

I've still not seen it so I won't comment, but.

Oh, and "Everything is possible, nothing is necessary"

16. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

Well said !

Jarleboy, ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

99% of the time books are better than films, it's just the way it is.
    Does anybody read anymore ? lol

Jarleboy and Zeki like this.
  18. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I've seen the trailer several times before other movies that I paid to see. I can't think of this as anything other than a joke movie. I would never see it unless someone paid me to review it or if it was on a cable TV channel.

19. Cool hand luke

Just curious, what were the other non-"joke" movies you paid to see? Im trying to get a perspective on all the immediate dis-like, "no way" reactions from those who saw only the trailer. When i saw the trailer, i had a mixture of doubt and "that might be kinda cool, if done right". Then i read Danny Boyle directed so i figured , F -it, I'll give it a shot. Glad i did.

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Based on this post, I don't think you'll have to worry about dealing with review offers. :D

21. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

Me too. But I think the movie would have been better if it explored other themes rather than essentially being a pretty average Rom-Com. But it is fun, well acted and the cast was very good. Just left feeling like it could have been more.

22. Cool hand luke

Yes, I would agree with that. If I had anything negative to say about it, that would be just it. Well reviewed , Sir! :tiphat:

23. jricc

jricc Senior Member

My wife and I enjoyed it. A solid film for what it is..."the twist" was for me, a catch your breath moment. I won't spoil it though for those who have not seen it.
    4 out 0f 5

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Not every movie has to be a classic. I plan to see it, but perhaps wish the execution would be equal to the concept. I'll keep an open mind.

In the meantime, I watched Pulp Fiction last night. What a fun, fresh, brash piece of filmmaking. Watching that film makes up for watching a lot of mediocrity. It refreshes my brain, reminding me of what a great film experience can be.

MPLRecords likes this.
  25. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Saw the film today and enjoyed it more than I expected to. It’s a solid 3 out of 5 movie, not going to win awards but decent enough to pass the time and make you leave with a smile on your face.

It’s also nice for someone to take on a Beatles story without them being involved!

stevenson66g, bonus and Zeki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.