New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Yes, mine’s like it.

2. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I read it in the darkest way possible upon first listen, and it had such an effect on me that I haven’t gone back to it (the song). Overreaction, no doubt, but a genuine one. Brilliant but..it colored the whole album for me, as it can so easily be taken as a narrative.

Ian Roberts likes this.
  3. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

easily one of the best lps of the year ...

4. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Found it. All I had to do was ask my neighbors. LOL

carlwm likes this.
  5. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

I can't stop listening to this entire album all day long, day after day now. Is it really this good? ... telephone poles and trees go whizzing by....

Stones haunts me.

The sound is absolutely fantastic! Glen Campbell never stood a chance. ;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Thank you, I will have to check that one out. I thought that might be the one that people might suggest just based on some of the comments in this thread.

Rockford & Roll, DavidD and The MEZ like this.
  7. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Look at the bright side, now you have both.

Rockford & Roll and The MEZ like this.
  8. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Don't think shot really stands out so much, after all how would you describe a single drink served in a very small glass, usually drunk in one fell swoop?

OptimisticGoat and RSteven like this.
  9. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Same here. Just spun it for the first time tonight and it's full of pops and it skips during "Wild Horses". I had to stop playing it -- pretty disappointing.

I'll be taking it back tomorrow with the hopes of getting a better copy. My guess is that this batch is just bad...

The Bishop likes this.
  10. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Wasn’t expecting much after his last few albums but WS surprised me with his most cohesive set of songs maybe since Nebraska. His voice sounds really strong and the production fits perfectly, especially the strings.

The MEZ and Rockford & Roll like this.
  11. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I
    I like the cheesiness - kind of like this is the amateur house band at SJs. It is a change of pace and the album would be too monotone without some form of light number in the middle. Although I have listened only to the CD so far, the 3 track breaks also work well as album sides on the vinyl.

mikeja75, Rockford & Roll and carlwm like this.
  12. OptimisticGoat

Like the cover of Just Like Fire Would as well as the revised version of Ghost, Hunter and studio American Skin as well. Its just not a cohesive album.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  13. OptimisticGoat

You have captured the dual meaning perfectly. You wonder why he is going back. There is also the line: Of my lonely bed, I woke to something you said
    That it's better to have loved, yeah, it's better to have loved.
    The character reacts to that thought - the best moment... and goes back. It is ambiguous.

alan967tiger and Rockford & Roll like this.
  14. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I’ve been a CD convert for a long time. One of my sons bought me the vinyl as the cover was so good. Lovely present, but the are unwanted surfaces noises and indeed, slight warps I won’t be going back to vinyl anytime soon.

Bossyman, graveyardboots and JoeF. like this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What makes you think everyone hasn’t experienced this?

16. Dennis Metz

Almost every new record reminds me why I grew to love CDs. Hasn’t stopped me from listening to both :cheers:

graveyardboots likes this.
  17. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

Ditto here. Spinning now. I keep popping 4 other discs into my 5 disc carousel but this one remains every time. That's really unusual for me.

DavidD, alan967tiger, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  18. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

I purchased the US Barnes and Noble vinyl edition based on the images I saw online. The discs looked cool in the ad (they were essentially white discs with blue swirl-like coloring, which roughly replicated a cloudy sky). When the vinyl arrived, the discs looked nothing like the image in the online advertisement, as the actual discs were virtually clear with some mild blue swirling. Anyway, I played side one of the first disc, which was fairly quiet. Side two was absolutely riddled with surface noise. I never made it to side three and I never will. I'm sure it's blasphemy in these parts but I have entirely no use for vinyl.

For me personally, CDs are superior in every conceivable way to LPs and FLAC files are superior to both. I've ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC. When I'm listening at home, I play FLAC files over the stereo. I also convert every FLAC album in my collection to MP3 so I can also enjoy those albums in the car.

Bossyman, The Bishop and JoeF. like this.
  19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This is one reason why I never got back into vinyl and why I don’t miss it.
    That and paying $35. for what used to cost around $8.

20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

A very good vinyl pressing on a very good turntable— as part of an expensive system — beats CDs every time. But by every other metric and measure , it’s no contest.

21. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

I'm sure you're right but I'm just not that guy. To that end, I've finally just updated my profile to reflect my configuration:

Pioneer VSXLX102 receiver
    one Polk PSW 108 subwoofer
    two Polk Audio T50 floorstanding loudspeakers
    HP Pavilion Desk Top 590-P0054 computer connected to the receiver via HDMI
    Pro-Ject Debut III turntable (red) w/ Ortofon OM-5 cartridge
    Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-ray player connected to the receiver via HDMI
    Sony DVP-NS725P DVD player connected via digital coaxial (which is my standalone CD player)

Compared to the audiophiles on this forum, I should rightfully be laughed out of the room. But it serves my purposes and it's a huge step up from listening to via earbuds or over laptop speakers.

22. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

and yet the word "toast" could have worked as well (although will admit it does not rhyme with "lot").We all know how he labors over every syllable, to me, the word "shot" seems specifically chosen to have an almost onomatopoeia like effect on the story and listener.

Again, not saying this is the definite meaning to the song, just playing....

alan967tiger likes this.
  23. Dennis Metz

A well mastered CD will beat the vinyl every time :cheers:

tms766, Bossyman, JoeF. and 1 other person like this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Maybe. It’s been a long time since I sat down and listened to vinyl, so I defer to the audiophiles who make it their business to seek out the finest in reproductive sound.
    But for “the rest of us”, you’re probably right.

25. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Same here, and the line about children being a gift almost brings me to tears as I play with my 7 year old twins. I'm not crying, your crying..

I also like to imagine Bruce makes a dual appearance in the song, as the narrator, but also as the "Gearhead in a souped-up '72", 1972 being the year he was signed, a reach maybe, but it just makes me smile

JoeF. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.