Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Then again, it may not be released at the end of September. It still might be October/November. So August 8th could come and go without any announcement.

But our insiders have confirmed it as happening (but they have not confirmed any exact release date). So no need to worry.

2. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

At the earliest, Lewisohn said last September that it would be at least another 5 years before it's ready.

I know some are critical of him taking time out to do these tours and events he does, but a)he's got bills to pay, and b)They are great ways for him to gather additional material for the books. I showed him a photo last year (with an accompanying story) from the opening day of the 1965 autumn UK tour which he was very grateful for as he had no knowledge already of the info I gave him, so it now means he has chance to put things like that if he wants to (and no doubt countless other examples from the public if he can verify them).

Hopefully he'll also hear lots of Abbey Road related info he wasn't already aware of on his tour later this year!

3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

If I was part of the LIB...N crew I would have sought to use the the same coda as the single but let it play out to it's natural end, part of this bit, as you know, is the so-called Get Back Reprise heard on Glyn's Get Back mix and of course heard in the film. It's fun and spirited and John adds some cute off-the-cuff remarks too. Basically the LIB...N team duplicated Spector's silly cut version, but faded out the last few notes and then of course Lennon's famous "passed the audition" comment. Ron

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I agree.

Btw, here he is yesterday outside the control room at Studio Two at Abbey Road

drum_cas, theMess and OobuJoobu like this.
  5. brainwashed

True, but he most certainly didn't OK the results having passed before the remix sessions took place in May 2002. It's quite possible that if George was alive he may have objected to any number of issues (flexing his leverage as he did on Anthology)... or he could have given it his OK. We'll never know. Ron

6. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

tug_of_war and andrewskyDE like this.
  7. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Thanks for posting. I've always wanted a collection of these sheets after first seeing those included in Lewisohn's Recording Sessions book. An official book of them would be great to have, but unlikely.

Does anyone know where a decent collection of these can be found online?

dewey02 likes this.
  8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That would have been a quote from Giles about why OANS was not included on the Pepper 50th.

Some here [myself, included] have noted that it seems a pretty flimsy argument... :shrug:

johnny moondog 909 and Gila like this.
  9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It was supposed to be a "new phase" Beatles album.

He was probably going for the "warts and all" approach with a little too much emphasis on the warts .... :cool:

applejam101, planckera and dewey02 like this.
  10. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Maybe Phil Spector's job was easier than we thought. Take Johns' mix...add a little of this.. and presto!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    theMess, applejam101, jmxw and 3 others like this.
  11. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Especially in light of Including Not Guilty on the recent white album SDE that didn't make it to the original LP.

12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Ha, ha, ha, ha....ha ha ha ha ha ha hah! I love that ending and wish it went on for a minute or so. No one can say they weren't enjoying themselves on that take!

Kim Olesen and applejam101 like this.
  13. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

bobcat likes this.
  14. brainwashed

Oh it does goes on. I can't find a link on youtube, but the unedited coda (from Ringo's drum break to the very end) is about one minute and 27 seconds in length. Making the entire song about 4:00. PM me if you'd like to hear it, not sure it can be uploaded here. Ron

supermd, Contact Lost and theMess like this.
  15. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I hope we get the complete version of the Get Back coda when the album is reissued next year. It would definitely be one of the highlights!

Contact Lost likes this.
  16. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Maybe. But The Let It Be album was kinda Paul's baby, & LIB Naked was ( I thought ) from what i've read, his inspiration, remove Phil Spector..

Did George even care much about a despectorized version ? If anything I wonder if George & John would've nixed the idea altogether. EXCEPT LIB Naked was just a supplementary version, or another version. The original exists on millions of copies & in millions of homes.

Its an interesting parlour game discussion, both George & John became dissapointed in Spector by 73-74...but John defended Spector's LIB work right into 1980 ( yes ? In Playboy ? ) saying Spector 'salvaged' the tapes ? Shaped it into something..yet ironically the whole live warts & all, live in studio album was John's idea at first.

But Ron the 'secret' answer if there is a LIB 50 box...is do it again..take all the viewpoints from Spector, Glyn Johns & Lib Naked & do it again, & get it right this time. I'd like to hear a bonus disc of 15-20 songs, hearing Teddy Boy, Suzy Parker, All Things Must Pass, Peggy Sue Got Married, Lost My Little Girl, Mailman Blues, etc etc, & spiffed up, edited, sounding like records or as close as possible

17. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

I could see the coda being in the Jackson documentary after they probably play the full song with various bits of footage of the recording process.

18. brainwashed

Well, if Abbey Road/ Apple and Universal hired me, or Murdock, Onder, Olsen etc... they'd get the information that sometimes is lacking there. Apparently George did OK a Let It Be... Naked project before his death (also his overwhelming approval for the Love project). What always baffled me is that three offending tunes Long and Winding Road, Across The Universe and I Me Mine had previously been issued without the overdubs on Anthology 3 seven years earlier. The only logical reason LIB...N was compiled was as a companion album to the remastered Let It Be film that was in the can and ready to be released in 2003, but ultimately shelved. Ron

Sean Murdock, jmxw, Bern and 2 others like this.
  19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Was that at the occasion of The Analogues recording/performing Abbey Road at erm....Abbey Road? They seemed to be regular visitors; recorded the orchestral score for their version of A Day In the Life for there Pepper's show in 2017 and did some recording for Revolution #9 at Abbey Road. I can only think they recorded the orchestral backing for 'Something' and "The End''....

drum_cas and bobcat like this.
  20. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

and we are NOT going to confirm any release date, we need to follow the rules as we have done with previous releases, some clues ok when the time is right but nothing more, Apple is going to do that but be sure that release date is ready, announcement date ready, all configurations ready, no surprises (at least for me) but also not disappointing.

21. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Hey Mike, thanks for the update! So I guess they didn’t find any surprises in the session tapes like they did for WA50. But there’s so much great stuff here to cover....can’t wait!!

I know it’s not going to be as expansive as WA50 (that was a double) but I hope they go bit further out on the outtakes than they did with Pepper 50.

Beatlemen and mikecarrera like this.
  22. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Pepper was best, almost two outtakes of each song, not the same with WA and also not the same with AR:shrug:

23. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

In the back of my mind I was hoping for some surprises like maybe a run through of “Cold Turkey” or “All Things Must Pass” but outtakes of the normal album are good enough for me!

24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Abbey Road 50 is probably one I'm going to splurge and get the CD deluxe box set AND the 2LP vinyl edition. WA50 I only got the CD box and skipped the 3LP....Lord help my bank account.

25. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

“But also not disappointing” it’s that kind of naughty talk we love around here, Mike :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.