Future Rolling Stones From The Vault releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yikes, that doesn't work well in that arrangement at all

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

"Lies" was played at most of the '78 shows, but not at the Fort Worth date they released.

I can't think of any other Stones album played live in full besides Sticky Fingers. Some Girls has 9 of 10, and Let It Bleed can be easily assembled minus "Country Honk," those are easily the closest. Any other album you're probably going to top out at 4 or 5 tunes (or maybe 4 from each LP of Exile).

If you want more details, check this out: The Rolling Stones Album Statistics | setlist.fm

Sean, MerseyBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wasn't a lot of steel wheels and voodoo lounge played live? 6-7 tunes from each?

4. Is there a link for this box, is it still up for sale? I have BA show that was included in Japan ward deluxe from one of the vault titles, but is there anything extra in the official box (without Mick’s signature)?

5. walrus

I don't think it was meant to be a major release. It's a collection of blues covers, and obscure blues covers at that. It was recorded in three days, more as a band exercise than a serious attempt at making a record...it's the Stones doing something they're good at, that they hadn't done in decades, so it turned out wonderfully, but no amount of promotion was going to find it a bigger audience than it did regardless. It was put out for Stones fanatics and blues geeks, and it got enough promotion for those camps to know about it. No one else (sadly) would've really been interested.

Since I'm sure someone will make the comparison, yes, Clapton got away with it on From The Cradle, but that 25 years ago, coming off his biggest commercial success, at the height of the CD era. The Stones weren't going to have that kind of success with a hardcore blues album in 2016.

6. walrus

About half, eventually, although "Slipping Away" wasn't played until '95, even though by now it's the most played SW track. Only about 4 songs were regulars, with a 5th ("Terrifying" or "Almost Hear You Sigh") sometimes appearing. I guess I should've said half, but I was thinking mostly about songs you can find on official releases, if someone wanted to assemble a live version of a particular album (which is totally a thing I've done, and is a super fun way to listen to stuff :agree:). There's a bunch of songs that got only a couple of airings, which we'll probably never hear officially ("Blinded By Love," "It Won't Take Long," "Silver Train"...all kinds of things).

7. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Ironically it sold phenomenally well for a new album in 2016. I think it's done close to 3 million worldwide.
    It's possible that a new studio album wouldn't get near that.

8. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I draw the line at brussel sprouts.

head_unit, Sean, RogerB and 2 others like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

It was played at least 4 times according to Setlist.fm.

Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. John Fell

They have played all of Black and Blue at various times and all of Beggars Banquet except Dear Doctor and Jigsaw Puzzle at various times.

11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They played Lies in Detroit in 1978. I am pretty sure that is available in broadcast quality if you look.

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

But not the "Brussel Affair," which should be included in a deluxe 1972/1973 box set along with Philadelphia 1972 and whatever other 1972 shows there are multi-tracks for.

Sean, Crispy Rob, Dave Hoos and 5 others like this.
  13. walrus

I wish all of those were officially available. Especially "Crazy Mama." How that didn't become a live staple is beyond me.

Sean, Crispy Rob, laf848 and 5 others like this.
  14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The Chicago Double Door version is sorta inert; it reaches peak dynamic in the first 5 seconds and doesn't really go anywhere.

15. walrus

True. So it didn't really need more promotion. It did everything it was going to do right out of the gate: sold to the diehards, got good reviews and got the band some press outside of launching another anonymous stadium tour. I was glad to see it do well, it just wasn't the kind of album that was going to reach any more people than it already did via some kind of big promo push. Now if I could only get it on a single LP.

superstar19 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. walrus

I'll have to find that, although granted that was the first time they'd attempted it (apparently it was played at the El Mocambo but no one's heard it to confirm, so let's just say the Double Door was the first attempt). It's definitely the kind of song that would take a few in-concert plays to really gel, I think.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

That’s cause it was a better tour- the band were on fire and reenergised by playing smaller venues and deeper cuts!

18. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Ha! I really like that version.

Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. John Fell

Yeah, Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama should be played more often.

Sean, Crispy Rob, laf848 and 6 others like this.
  20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Iam pretty sure there is a brief excerpt of Crazy Mama from the El Mocambo in circulation.

Matthew Tate, Spadeygrove and walrus like this.
  21. walrus

My bad! I didn't realize any of that show was circulating besides the officially released stuff.

22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Actually quite a bit but not enough for collectors thirsts.

Matthew Tate and Spadeygrove like this.
  23. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

In hindsight it would have been better for them to have made it a two lp set, lp one the hits and lp2 the album's deep cuts.
    I remember that Mick did it that way because of all the clamor on line from fans to do it like that.
    and then the album barely sells anything.
    Ironic, but Jagger learned a big lesson from that one.....not to listen to your on line fans so much.
    Bummer it worked out like that.
    Beave

Dave Hoos and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. John Fell

They actually did it that way with Live Licks. The first disc was hits that people know and the second disc was deeper tracks and cover tunes.

25. walrus

It's also a pretty bad sounding bootleg, from what I can tell. I'm sure they'll release this eventually. It's a slam dunk release, even if the performance is a bit spotty.

I'd argue the album wouldn't have sold much better anyways...if it had been hits and warhorses, i'd have basically just been a duplicate of Flashpoint, and if it'd been a double, it'd have been more expensive (at the time) and still only appeal to hardcore fans. I just don't think a Stones live album in 1998 was going to be much more than a stopgap/fan-oriented release anyways, not a mainstream product. Aerosmith did basically a "greatest hits live"-type album at the exact same time, absolutely overflowing with huge songs (most of which had never been on an Aerosmith live album), and the album still didn't do much.

I don't think Mick did it because of online fans, I think he knew a Stones live album at that point had to offer unique tracks or a different spin on things. Honestly, it's a much more entertaining and engaging listen than Flashpoint, Still Life, or the first half of Live Licks.