Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Great experience, wasn't it?! Those are my arms/hands you see applauding at the right! Mr Lewisohn signed my copy of recording sessions and he really was so kind!

Okay.....on topic again

bobcat likes this.
  2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

They could also just mix it properly instead of Geoff's lazy 'duophonic'-style Anthology mix (originally done in 1984 for "Sessions" LP )

3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

With past collaborations with Geoff Emerick and current 'seal of approval' by Mark Lewisohn and performing live on this Holy Ground must be the current official The Analogues must surely be the foremost Beatles-related band (I don't use the word 'cover-band' here, they, it's more a 'reconstruction-band') at this moment.

bobcat likes this.
  4. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Bummer, I was expecting at least two alternate takes for each song!
    Well, one is better than nothing, so bring it on!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Must be proper at all times.

6. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

'Like a rolling throne...Like a rollllling throne...'

7. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

I suspect when we get tracks that repeat Anthology 3 tracks, they will have notably different mixes than how they appeared on Anthology. Apple have been good like that.. and I think if there HAS to be a degree of duplication, a different mix is handy to have (for instance, the Sgt Pepper set duplicated Anthology 2's take 8 of Good Morning Good Morning, but with a clean vocal).

It'll be interesting to see how Apple cover-off the bootlegged stuff that didn't show up on Anthology - the un-faded 'You never give me your money', 'Something' with the instrumental coda, an early assembly of the medley - stuff like that.

There's signs in the White Album set that they're aware of what's circulating, but keen to put out something a little different from the bootlegged take - Revolution take 18 instead of take 20 for instance..

8. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I own all of Bruce’s big books (the Capitol, Apple, Parlophone etc ones) and to me, they are wonderfully written, researched and presented.
    But what about the Pepper/WA/Abbey Road ones? Do they offer something else or new? Or are they extracts/mashups of the previous books?

9. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I am hoping for nicer stereo mix of Come And Get It compared to what we got on Anthology 3.

I think they should’ve included Revolution (take 20) on WA50. It was the final version of that track until The Beatles changed their mind. The bootleg version is fine but it deserved new stereo mix on the bonus discs. They could’ve added it on disc 6 if they didn’t want to repeat the track twice at start of disc 4.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  10. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Definitely agree on Come And Get It.. the Abbey Road boxset is a good chance to improve on that Anthology mix.

With Revolution, I can see your point. Take 20 could have been considered "finished", until John decided to tear it in half.. but I can see their logic in issuing a version that's a 'live in the studio' reflection of what they did on the very first day of sessions.. especially since it shows off John's vocalizing towards the end, without being buried by "Mama Dada" backing vocals.

Ideally we would have both in stereo, though. Maybe a stereo Take 20 will show up someday on a "The Beatles Weirdest Stuff" compilation along with Carnival of Light etc

11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Just don't give her any ideas ;)

Beatle Ed and dewey02 like this.
  12. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Who's "Onder"?

13. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I totally agree.

I was suggesting to the friends I went with on Sunday that they are more than just, and better than, a mere "tribute band."

Yovra likes this.
  14. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Also side note, what was up with anthology? Was the goal of those mixes centred vocals or something?

15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

One of the best Beatle people on this forum. Immense knowledge and ear for detail.

16. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Just like Olesen. :righton:

17. shmuckler

shmuckler Forum Resident

Wasn't The Dark Side Of The Moon recorded on 16 track and its drums mixed down to stereo?

18. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Thanks! It's great to have the same diagnosis people like you around :)

19. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Just do what I do for stress and pain: Take 20mg of Lorazepam and 80 mg of Oxycotton. Mmmm....No, on second thought don't do that.
    That got me in trouble 2 years ago. Some reviewer from the Australian Professional Audio Magazine - Post Production Down Under. Or was it - Down under Post Production Audio Magazine?....?! Any way both Uncle Jack and myself were interviewed. This little Auzzy guy ( under 5 foot) wanted a picture of me behind our SSL 40/64 G/ G+ fully automated board. ( You can always spot a Class G SSL Board. There is the 4:3 CRT monitor in the middle of the mixing board.) Do you know how freakin' huge an SSL 40/64 G/ G+ board is? 12 foot end to end! Or close to it. Anyway back then my arthritis was really bad. I was heavily medicated up and then some. Anyway the little guy took his picture. Later I receive a copy of the magazine and what do I notice? on my right arm clearly visible in the picture is my 72 hour slow release fentanyl patch. Well you couldn't make out the lettering on the patch but I knew what it was. I don't even remember that interview. But I said some real stupid things. i.e. "We need to go back to just 8 track. Ban Pro Tools, Remix all those horrible mid 60's Rolling Stone stereo mixes, etc..."

So my advice is if the stress of a new Beatle album remix is getting to you - try a glass of warm milk.

marmalade166 likes this.
  20. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Oh yes, you are correct but all the tracks were bounced down to a second 2 inch 16 track. Internal bouncing just isn't possible on most pro anlaog multi-tracks. And even if it was they wouldn't do it. Once you internally bounce all your drums and bass on say tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 16 (bass and kick are usually put on the edge tracks when recording to analog. long story.) to tracks 14/15 you would lose the original drum and bass tracks. lucky for us they didn't or the 5.1 mix of DSOTM would have been from only the final 16 track tape instead of both 16 track tapes synchronize together. On the 5.1 mix the drums, bass and guitars are from a generation higher.

Kim Olesen and shmuckler like this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Seems this issue comes up again and again on this forum. Here's Paul's vocals isolated. Easy. Paul sings the lower harmony lines on "Come Together." Time to move on, folks.

Yeah, Glyn Johns’ assemblages of Get Back make you scratch your head. I think he was going for a soundtrack to the TV film as opposed to a true Beatles album, which is more what Spector went for. Say what you want about the Spector-produced product, it’s miles better than any Johns comp.

True, it’s not Abbey Road or Revolver, but I think they were trying to polish it up to stand alongside those titles. I agree with you: we still haven’t gotten a true alternate Get Back/Let It Be, nor the best possible album made from those sessions, though I think …Naked is pretty damn good, possibly helped by the fact that it was my exposure to the Let It Be album and the only thing I heard for years. Upon hearing the original, there was a lot to dislike. I made an edit which removed a lot of the mindless chatter on the original album. I HATE "Sweet Loretta Fart." So dumb. Glad it's gone on my personal version.

I’d love to get that Oldies Comp. Sounds like a fun vinyl release.

"Across the Universe" was a different take to the album master on Anthology 3.

theMess, crossroads69, Gila and 3 others like this.
  22. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

...and I meant you too Kim... spelled your last name incorrectly. Sorry!

theMess and Kim Olesen like this.
  23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm so surprised that Let It Be...Naked was many folks first "version" of Let It Be that some people know.... and enjoy. So your opinion liking a more polished-sounding album is just as valid as us old folks who love the "mindless" chatter and link tracks. As I always say, there's room for the remixes, re-configured albums and the like as long as the originals are available too. I think The Long and Winding Road is a different take on Anthology 3 too... but all three were unadorned of Spector's additions. There was no "need" for the LIB...N album other than a companion to the film which was yanked at the last moment back in 2003. Ron

24. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

I think I'm going to get off the physical bandwagon here. I loved the White Album book and am glad I got it, because it is my favorite Beatle work. However, there is no lack of information about all these albums in the known universe, and my Sgt. Pepper book seems to do little for me these days other than take up space. It's great that they've been making all the deluxe tracks available for purchase as high res downloads... this will suit me well for Abbey Road, a wonderful album but one I've lived in for most of my life. The book would probably bore me more than Pepper's does.

If they did the book treatment for A Hard Day's Night (the album), I would consider getting that too as it's the other big sentimental favorite of mine, but it doesn't seem highly likely. Or, maybe Rubber Soul. Otherwise, as long as I can legitimately get at all the music, I'm good to go.

MPLRecords likes this.
  25. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

The Let it Be/Get Back project was just a flawed idea from the get-go, so I don’t think any amount of polishing is going to make that album sound great. The project could have been great had it come at an earlier time for the group, but at that point their relationships were untangling and it would have certainly added strain unnecessarily.

That all being said, Let It Be is as strong a track as they ever produced probably. And we as fans get the sort of video access to sessions you always hope to have for your favourite band. Plus the rooftop gig is iconic, so all in all a decent outcome, at Beatles levels, a stupendous outcome for most other bands!

I do look forward to next year and seeing what comes of the Jackson doc, the remastered original movie, and any box set of audio we get. What a time to be a Beatles fan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.