Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Well, we are not going to get any take with the "lost guitar solo overdub" of HCTS

2. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

3. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Oof

How about a lost guitar solo on "Because"? ;)

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

We ain't all as old as you, Ron. ;) I was 15 in 2004 and my grandma had just gotten Let It Be... Naked, so it was my first exposure to that particular album. I had no job and no money to buy up all the Beatles' albums, so I took what I could get my hands on as my exposure to the Beatles grew. I also didn't know there was much of a difference between it and the original, besides "Dig It," "Maggie May," and "Don't Let Me Down," so I took my time in buying the original album. By the time I got it and listened to it, I was so used to ...Naked that it threw me off, likely in a similar way that ...Naked threw you off.

The eventual Get Back/Let It Be box holds so much potential. I hope to be able to compile my own configuration of Let It Be that suits me best, though my edited original album does the job quite well. I'm looking forward to that more than Abbey Road, I think, because there seems to be so much more in terms of outtakes and early tracklistings/mixes.

theMess and crossroads69 like this.
  5. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Well, it´s erased now
    :hide:

6. Ern

Ern Senior Member

They're including an early take before overdubs, I guess.

7. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

The lost Moog synthesizer solo overdub instead?

;)

theMess likes this.
  8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It must be the maturity of your posts that made me think you were older. 15 in 2004??? Oh my:D. My oldest son is older than you. NOW, I really feel old!! It's all good. I've been tinkering with my own Let It Be/Get Back set for years. Never happy with the end results. Primarily because the Twickenham material is mono and just not up to par with the Apple stuff. But I love Suzy Parker, Gone, Gone, Gone and several others.... even my composite of Twickenham Across The Universe (re)mixes is a better fit than ANY version from 1968. Oh well, maybe next year we can all assemble a personal favorite version from the best-sounding audio available. Happy trails! Ron

9. brainwashed

That's a GOOD thing. The solo is jarring and not one of George's best. More a placeholder than anything else I'm guessing. And it most certainly was never lost. It's always been on the eight track tape, just unused. I MUCH prefer an earlier take. Hopefully we'll get that. Keep up the good work Mike! Ron

10. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Mike beginning to spill those beans again! Albeit, bad beans this time, but beans!!

11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Curiously enough, I am one of the old folks (well, not as old as you :D, but still older than supermd) who grew up with the original LIB, and the moment I heard Naked, I knew I liked it better. It has a couple of problems, specially the innecesary NR, but it's what this album should have been back in 1970: once it was clear the "rough documentary" approach of the Glyn Johns versions didn't work, Spector (or whoever was comissioned) should have just compiled an album in the old style: without orchestra or straneous elements, but just using the best takes to make a regular studio album, even if that meant editing different takes (it also helps that I have not heard every single take and know it by heart, like some people here, I just didn't know where the edits were). Also, the song sequence is much better than Spector's version, and it includes Don't Let Me Down and the best version of Across the Universe. As for Dig It, Maggie May and the chatter, I can live without

12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I look at it as a cool little EP's worth of material recorded between the White Album and Abbey Road, instead of as their last album and tombstone.

That way, what's not to like?

Exotiki, autumn daze and marmalade166 like this.
  13. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Ahh. Thank you.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  14. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I would definitely be in for A Hard Day's Night.
    And Revolver.
    And Rubber Soul.
    And Magical Mystery Tour.
    And ....

aww, who am I kidding? I want 'em all!! :agree:

15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I want the lost guitar solo on Her Majesty! :cool:

theMess, MPLRecords and Flippikat like this.
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah, it always to me sounded like he was "warming up". I never understood why everyone seems to go so "ga-ga" over it. It's just unused [and probably rightfully so] guitar noodling bits...

17. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

I can't be more excited! :cool:

18. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Respect. I used to be that guy. It's confusing. I was thinking about the Abbey Road box the other day as an obligatory problem, like "Oh, I guess I'm going to have to buy that. Where am I going to store it?". I wasn't remotely excited about owning the box. That's when it clicked that I can still get all the tracks in HD, so why waste money on something you aren't even excited about? I'll be fine. But if you told me even 5 years ago that a lavish Abbey Road box would be coming out and I'd be taking a pass on it, I wouldn't have believed it. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing, as it turns out...

autumn daze and jmxw like this.
  19. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I’m at that point about everything but the Beatles now. I used to have a list of first day purchases I had to make, but now I couldn’t even tell you what other releases are coming out.

theMess, gmcjj and WildHoneyPie like this.
  20. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Aww.. disappointing, but in a weird kinda way it backs up the "we're aware of whats circulating in the black market, and we're not going to exactly duplicate it" thinking that Apple seem to have adopted (consciously or not)...

...and THAT would bring something new and genuinely unheard to the table.

Take with one hand, give with the other, I guess...

21. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

For me it's album based rather than any particular group. Last year's White Album release was probably my favorite deluxe Beatles release ever, other than maybe Beatles in Mono.

22. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Hoping we get an official announcement soon

Wingsfan2012, Beatlemen and marklamb like this.
  23. brainwashed

I hear you, but I still think the original LP maintains some semblance of what they originally intended. And yes of course, all four must have agreed to the release, whether they were still a "group" or not. Biggest gripe about the original album besides the Spector remixes, is the decision to exclude Don't Let Me Down. Allen Klein be damned, I'm shocked the group, particularly John, allowed this to happen. So, LIB...N gets serious kudos for including it. I like the chatter on the original LP, but then again, I love all the count-ins and extraneous chatter on the session tapes too. My own comp ALWAYS starts with the single version of Get Back with the extended coda. ALWAYS! Followed by the single version of Don't Let Me Down. After that it gets tricky for me. Sometimes I have a mini acoustic set with Two Of Us (LP version) with a bit of Friendship or Tales Of Frankie Rabbit as a link track, followed by For You Blue and Maggie Mae. If I include Across The Universe, I'd use the Anthology 2 version as it's acoustic as well. Then it gets a bit tougher... Sometimes I'll put Let It Be and I Me Mine together... then a self-edit of Dig It (3:00 to 3:30) and then needing a "John" song I'll try Suzy Parker... I have an "ambient stereo" mix that removes most of the beeps... but as-is, the sound quality is a notch or two lower than the rest of the album. It's tough to put The Long And Winding Road anywhere, but it's needed of course. Can't have two Paul piano ballads back-to-back. So it usually comes after a comp version of All Things Must Pass. The album always ends with the rooftop performance. On some comps I include each take as well as the little busk of I Want You... other times, just Dig A Pony, I've Got A Feeling, One After 909, Don't Let Me Down and Get Back.

Conundrum #1: Where to place George's lovely acoustic version of Isn't It A Pity.
    #2: Gone, Gone, Gone
    #3: Teddy Boy
    #4: Other oldies. And what of poor Ringo. No songs at all. Maybe a bit of Going To Carolinal??

And you all think this is easy, eh??? :laugh: Ron

24. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

To be honest, this is getting tougher than piecing together the Beach Boys 'Smile' album was in the 1990s... ;)

theMess, jammincrowe and Royce like this.
  25. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

That’s a bit of a pisser.

BeatleJWOL, boggs, Beatlemen and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.