The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

You haven't seen it and maybe have overlooked the posts that have said the movie focuses in on the songwriting, not the recording techniques or first this/first that etc. ( later in the film it does address a bit of the mania). Jack isn't emulating any of the individual Beatles or their stories.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  2. BZync

BZync Senior Member

After reading some of the thoughts on this thread, I thought I'd read some of the reviews of the film. Overall the critics weren't crazy about it but few completely trashed it. Interestingly, the critic average score from Rotten Tomatoes was 60% while average audience score was 90%. I can understand why. I enjoyed it very much but, with a bit of reflection, I can see how it could have, maybe should have, been better. But its not the kind of film that one should be dissecting. It works as what it is - a breezy, non-challenging romantic comedy.

Having said that, with all that this film asks of the audience, the one thing I found truly unbelievable was our leading man NOT falling for the lovely, charismatic Lily James. I mean, come on!

3. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm just being humorous and shallow. Not making any great point.

4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

That's a possibility. An LSD or heroin-loving hero with an automatic rifle and a Rambo-style headband while riding on a fast moving motorcycle with "Helter Skelter" blasting from a cheapo boomy speaker
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Evethingandnothing likes this.
  5. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

The only problem with this film is that the main character is OBLIVIOUS to the fact that Lily James is hot for him.

He wins the prize for dumb-ass of all time : )

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Without having seen the film though?

"I haven't seen the film and never will, 'cause the premise upsets me". That kind of opinion is supposed to be useful?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  7. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yes, great. That's a stereotype though. The shy, socially awkward types that frequent Richard Curtis films are not stereotypes at all.

8. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

As i said 'by and large' its your post that fails. Cheer up and move on...

ARK and Drifter like this.
  9. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

... and choosing Himesh Patel in the lead role has just made this film more special.

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I spent the whole movie trying to figure out where I knew the actress from. Which shows how smart I am as they had a preview for the Downton Abbey movie right before!

11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Foregoing the Beatles would be a high price to pay to eliminate the scourge of cigarettes, but possibly worth it.

Chris DeVoe and ARK like this.
  12. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Baby Driver too

13. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

And Cinderella!

mmars982 and Zeki like this.
  14. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

We'd find something else to kill ourselves with - possibly worse. Don't foresaw the Beatles!

DK Pete likes this.
  15. timind

timind phorum rezident

Saw it over the weekend. Enjoyed it for what it was. I could make a long list of complaints about it. Got better ways to waste time.:wiggle:

Musician95616 likes this.
  16. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

The Beatles, heirs signed off on it....

mmars982 likes this.
  17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

We need a "Warning, spoilers" heading on this thread now.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    andrewskyDE, Peter_R and streetlegal like this.
  18. And “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” on Netflix.

Scopitone likes this.
  19. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Oh yeah, been meaning to watch that one!

Isn’t she also Lizzy Bennett in Pride and prejudice and zombies? Underrated movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I assume you mean my post earlier in the thread? I stand by it. I'll f'ing walk out of anywhere that's playing it. If I'm at my sister's place for a visit and it's on, I'm gone - no matter that she lives 12 hours' drive away. If my wife wants to see it when it hits Netflix or whatever, she can see it alone.

I'll go ahead and let this be the thing that I choose to miss and die angry about when I'm older. F' this movie.

21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I don't get it, but okay. :shrug:

I suppose if one hates the Beatles, it might make some sense. I know that I certainly wouldn't want to see a movie celebrating Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber. :agree:

Jarleboy and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Hey, everyone else can knock themselves out and enjoy it (or not) as they like. :righton:

23. IMDB says yes, she is in that zombie movie too, but I have not seen it. “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” is a nice little WWII era story. A mystery from the recent past unfolds in sometimes unexpected ways. I recommend it if you like those sorts of things.

Scopitone likes this.
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Wow. You win something.

Chris DeVoe, jon9091, ARK and 2 others like this.
  25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I love the Beatles. I can't imagine my life without them, and I certainly don't want to see a film that imagines a world without them written by f'ing Richard Curtis.

Steve Carras, MGSeveral and trueblue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.