Is it me or the CS 6006 CD of Black Sabbath is the best version ever ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dissidence, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

That I do not know as I've never heard this particular edition and I can't find much info on it around the interweb.

These obscure japanese remasters sometimes sound awful but at times they nail it all rigth.

Dissidence likes this.
  2. Most of the (few) good-sounding Japanese Sabbath CDs I have heard were likely not remastered - like the H&H 32PD, the Paranoid & s/t 33PD and of course the 4 SHM-SACDs that I keep praising. (Maybe the Born Again PHCR-2054 was remastered, not sure.) Most others are either horrible or copies from European or American releases. Based on those experiences, I feel it is rather unlikely that that CD is something great and new. But of course I'd be glad if someone checks it out, just to be sure. :)

3. Dissidence

Dissidence Human Thread Starter

Indeed, these obscure japanese remasters sometimes nail it all right !
    For example, Sad Wings Of Destiny (Judas Priest), VICP-61651 IIRC.
    Vic Anesini putted even his name on it for the "Judas Priest - The Complete Albums Collection".

Rider2 likes this.
  4. Dissidence

The PHCR-2054 is fantastic !

Rider2 likes this.
  5. Yes indeed. And it is from 1990. :) Probably the latest digital Japan Sabbath release other than the SACDs that is worth having, and the SACDs contain flat transfers from UK master tapes.

6. Dissidence

Anyway, the japanese HSE-37001... Someone must checks it out, like blacksabbathrainbow said !

7. OK, so not the volume level, but loudness. That's possible, though the SACDs do certainly not sound compressed to me. According to DR meter, it seems that the s/t SACD has the first tracks a little louder than the Castle CD.

I don't think so - even after applying de-emphasis, the SACDs sound different from the Castle CDs, and level and DR differ likewise. And not surprisingly - we are at least talking different tape transfers about 25 years later, and possibly different tapes.

Freezerburn likes this.
  8. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

For Born Again it's my go-to...the only good sounding version and I've tried a bunch. But just my take on it.

Dissidence likes this.
  9. I agree it is very good. The Deluxe 2xCD is also good, I haven't compared them in depth though. The Deluxe includes "The Fallen" which is my favorite track on the album.

10. Dissidence

After some research on the japanese Hostess label :
    s/t HSE-37001 is 2014 Sanctuary remaster reissue.
    Paranoid HSE-37002, 2010 Sanctuary remaster reissue.
    MoR HSE-37003, 2010 Sanctuary remaster reissue.
    Vol.4 HSE-37004, 2014 Sanctuary remaster reissue.
    etc.

Rider2, blacksabbathrainbow and Omnio like this.
  11. Dissidence

PHCR-2054. With this mastering, Born Again becomes one of the greatest metal albums ever (Top 20 easily).

Rider2 likes this.
  12. Thanks for the info.

13. Freezerburn

I've read the original demos have better production values than the album itself....but I've never heard them so I can't confirm it.

14. Freezerburn

For a long time the deluxe was my go to. I think you will find the Japan to be somewhat crankable, whereas the deluxe is painful at higher volume levels.

15. Dissidence

I've heard them. Same final performance. Rough mix tape owned by Bill.
    It lacks production work, but this first mix sounds rather good indeed.

Rider2 and Freezerburn like this.
  16. Dissidence

Black Purple.
    Iommi and Gillan, it works great. But imagine Iommi and Blackmore, each in their prime (Ritchie as lead of course or he could kill Tony)...
    Best two-guitar attack forever. Insane solo mastery with total riffing domination. :D

Rider2 likes this.
  17. Freezerburn

I've checked out the Japans pressings for Heaven and Hell, as well as the US WB. My go to is the WG Vertigo 830 171-2.
    Easily the most balanced and best presentation of any other pressing.
    I prefer the WG Vertigo for Mob Rules as well. I believe there is a SACD for HH I tried as well, and the German beat it.

Dissidence likes this.
  18. Dissidence

CD mastering by Gert Van Hoeyen. No Hans Brethouwer on these two WG Vertigo.

19. I think it would not work at all. Or maybe for five minutes, but not longer. Neither socially nor musically. Anyway, I am sure we'll never know. ;-)

Tony Iommi and Brian May is the much more likely partnership.

I like the H&H WG Vertigo CD too! But you probably noticed most people here prefer the Deluxe 2xCD now. Would you like me to send you a sample? The H&H SACD is pretty bad.

My favorites for Mob Rules are the US WB and the Deluxe 2xCD, I will have to do a shootout sometime.

Another shootout on my to-do-list. ;-)

Freezerburn and Dissidence like this.
  20. Dissidence

Brian May plays the guitar solo on "When Death Calls". ;)

Rider2 and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  21. Freezerburn

No thanks on the Deluxe HH, I believe it's a Pearce, no air whatsoever.
    For Mob Rules, I've tried the US WB, bass is way bombastic. I've tried all the SACDs for the old Sabbath records, except the first album up until now. The only ones that made the grade were MOR and SBS,
    The first album is good too but imo is too loud and digital sounding. I'll take the '86 Castle.
    As for Pearce, the only thing he's done I like is the Rory Gallagher catalog. Everything else there are just better options out there.
    Getting back to Mob Rules, my pick is the WG Vertigo, again like HH, the most balanced digital version out there.
    But no dogmatics here, its just my preferences.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  22. Freezerburn

Yes and it's a good thing, imo
    There are a number of Thin Lizzy titles I prefer the Gertster's masterings.

Dissidence likes this.
  23. Freezerburn

I vaguely remember that track, I may have to tack that on to the PHCR!

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  24. Freezerburn

Forgive my ignorance but what album is this track on?

25. Dissidence

Headless Cross, 1989. Best Sabbath album with Tony Martin on vocals, imho.
    Hear Call Of The Wild on Youtube too. The intro sounds like a track from Rocky IV OST. :righton:
    This is my favorite song after the eponymous track (Headless Cross) of course.
    But the best song with Martin is Anno Mundi, from Tyr. Nobody can't deny that !

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.