Bruce Springsteen working on Tracks 2?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Jun 14, 2019.

1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star Thread Starter

2. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

There are some posts on BTX hinting that the scope of this project is huge. I'm very excited about this. Great year so far for Springsteen fans.

3. NunoBento

Whoa! This is massive then. Could you point a direction to these posts? :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

Below is a link to the full thread. There's a lot of stuff in there, but page 2 has some info on how many songs are out there still unreleased and a potential nugget on this project being more than 4 discs. Tracks in 1999 was originally planned to be 128 songs before being cut town to 66.

BTX • Login

5. NunoBento

Just read the whole thread. I'm still marveled by "Western Stars" and already buzzing for Tracks 2. Happy days!

6. FrasierNervosa

FrasierNervosa Forum Resident

Could you copy/paste some of it? I don't have access to the forum...

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

An apparently trustworthy poster confirmed it's a "Tracks style" box, but there's not other info. Just people listing what they hope will be on it and speculation.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Could be intriguing, depending on what eras are represented. He has issued quite a bit of material from the 1973 - 1980 period. There are clearly additional Hammond demos, bits and pieces from the E Street Shuffle, BTR, Darkness, and The River, but unless he is willing to release alternate takes, there cannot be much from the period that is releasable (plus there is the prospect that Springsteen will overdub/re-record the material in question, especially reworked vocals). Then you have the Nebraska recordings and BITUSA sessions; will these be reserved for another box set? There are apparently some country recordings from the mid-80's and perhaps a few remaining scraps from TOL, but probably not much. It seems like most of the HT/LT session work has been released. Again, if he issues alternate takes, then there are conceivably many more options. That said, if this rumored box set consists of a multitude of discs, one suspects a lot of the material could come from the past 20+ years, which is far less interesting.

9. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Interesting, but you know how there were remastered box sets from Greetings through to BITUSA, and then, in Japan only, for Tunnel of Love up to Tom Joad, and including the Chimes of Freedom EP, and the reunion E Street EP, will there be a 3rd remastered set including everything post Tom Joad ? Just a thought ?

10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I wonder if the plan to do a Tracks 2 box instead of a Nebraska/BITUSA box is for copyright extension purposes.

I am not hugely knowledgeable about what exists but I am assuming there are some Steel Mill recordings and early demos that would need to be protected if they don't want them released by one of those budget labels?

11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Hoping for something wonderful in my Christmas stocking?

Sean, Matthew Tate and The MEZ like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

I can't imagine Springsteen is going to officially release the bulk of Steel Mill era recordings he has access to in the archives just to combat some PD releases in the UK. A sampling to show the public what he was doing early on and how he developed, yes, but not the majority of the recordings. With respect to BITUSA, I suppose there is no guarantee he is going to produce such a box set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. dee

dee Senior Member

Now that would be a lovely gift and I suppose possibly run up and through 1971, and perhaps even part of '72, so that a dedicated, expanded Greetings set could also still be issued at some later date, if so desired.
    Yes, there are a few solid soundboard recordings from that era in circulation but who knows if or what else may exist of decent material, performances, and sound quality.

14. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

I don't think Bruce is really that fussed about extending copyright. He doesn't care about stuff on YouTube, or bootlegs of shows or things like that like the Beatles, Dylan and a few others are. Most of the Dr Zoom, Steel Mill and Bruce Springsteen Band stuff aren't of top quality (in sound or performance) and he's quite picky with what stuff he releases to the masses officially so I can't see them releasing things like Grandpa Gone Down for example. I'd love him to release the Train Song on a set like this though. But some of the demos he recorded in 72 are boring, monotonous, too wordy and not very good.

There are about 40 BITUSA tracks not available, there's a country album from the 80s, a hip hop type album from the 90s, side project stuff like all the songs he wrote for Gary US Bonds in the 70s and 80s and then stuff we're not even aware of that could be put on Tracks 2.

There's also the stuff he contributed to VA releases over the years. I'd say an album's worth of stuff with them alone.

15. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

This is what I want to see on TRACKS 2

THE RIVER OUTTAKES
    1. Chevrolet Deluxe
    2. Janey Needs A Shooter
    3. Jole Blon
    4. Under The Gun
    5. Oh Angelene
    6. I will be the one

NEBRASKA
    1. All of Electric Nebraska
    2. child Bride
    3. Losin Kind
    4. Downbound Train
    5. Johnny Bye Bye
    6. Pink Cadillac

BITUSA
    1. Johnny Go Down
    2. The Glory Of Love
    3. Ida Rose
    4. Seeds
    5. Light Of Day
    6. Fugitive Dream
    7. Don't Back Down
    8. Sugarland
    9. Richfield Whistle
    10. Kings Highway.

TUNNEL OF LOVE
    1. Pretty Baby Will You be mine
    2. Things ain't that way
    3. Walking through midnight

HUMAN TOUCH
    1. 30 Days Out
    2. All The Way Home

STREETS OF PHILIDELPHIA
    1. Waiting On The End Of The World
    2. Father's Day
    3. Blind spot
    4. Nothing Man
    5. Between Heaven and Earth
    6. Dark And Bloody Ground
    7. Homestead.

TOM JOAD
    1. Cynthia
    2. 1945
    3. Cheap Motel
    4. Tiger Rose

THE RISING
    1. The Hitter
    2. Code Of Silence
    3. I'll Stand By You Always
    4. Another Thin Line

DEVIL'S
    1. It's the little Things that count

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wow this really shows how the industry has changed. In the old days they'd be milking the current album for months, there'd be some tour dates, etc. No way they would schedule a prestige box of unreleased material in the same year.

peskypesky and OptimisticGoat like this.
  17. I'd certainly buy that, but I strongly doubt that's what Bruce is going to release.

18. tillywilly17

tillywilly17 Forum Resident

NEBRASKA
    1. All of Electric Nebraska April 26-30 1982
    2. child Bride January 3, 1982
    3. Losin Kind Jan 3 and April 30 (Electric Nebraska try)
    4. Downbound Train Jan 3 and Electric-released
    5. Johnny Bye Bye April 27 only Nebraska take - not recorded in January
    6. Pink Cadillac 2 takes January NO electric takes until 1983

I created a day-by-day "Electric Nebraska" chart covering the main week, and the week after

Nebraska - Studio Sessions - Brucebase Wiki

the first day was all Atlantic City, and most of day 2 until they finally gave up and moved on

The only tracks to be released from this period was "Born In the U.S.A.", completed May 3, "Downbound Train" and "Working On the Highway" both May 6

the rest of these are all waiting to get out, including the 8 min "Born In the U.S.A." from April 27-28, which has been bootlegged

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

D&D and the BTR box both came out in 2005. Bruce only seems to want to do the theatrical film as promo for W-Stars and nothing else.

If there really is an ESB tour in 2020, then Track 2 is a funny way to launch it. Especially when the T1 didn't sell crazy and didn't get too much play on the "reunion" tour.

20. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Surely Preacher's Daughter this time?

GMfan87' likes this.
  21. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

"Electric Nebraska" with 2019 vocals...can't wait.

22. veon

veon Forum Resident

I’ve always had a soft spot for ‘If I Was The Priest’, would love to see that cleaned up and properly released

Sean Murdock likes this.
  23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Will this also be a case where the sampler disc has two tracks not on the box set so you'll have to buy both?

24. PacificOceanBlue

Maybe a piano-only re-recording of Outlaw Pete.

SteveFff, JoeF., grapenut and 5 others like this.
  25. tillywilly17

tillywilly17 Forum Resident

Nebraska-BITUSA 111 songs recorded, 43 songs released. 68 remain officially unreleased.

this does not include alternate takes, like just about the entire Electric Nebraska sessions
    28 tracks were recorded first week April 26-30 1982

The River 68 songs 21 are UNRELEASED

Darkness 61 songs 27 unreleased

who was asking if he had anything left in the vault?