KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I liked that they did pick some interesting covers. I think the only one that stuck with me was Free Ride.
    I really need to revisit it!

carlwm likes this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Cheers for the reply!

Think I'll check it out.

3. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Thank You @BluesOvertookMe & @Curveboy I have to check the version with Ace on it. Hope you guys had a groovy holiday. Peace

carlwm and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  4. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

5. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

A new/old song uniquely blended !

Curveboy likes this.
  6. jmcgoldrick

jmcgoldrick Forum Resident

This is a great thread. I have been on a KISS kick since seeing them in concert again a month or so ago and it’s fun to listen to some of the old albums and read the comments, but it’s pretty daunting. Wish I would have found it in its infancy

7. William Smart

I came in around solos. It was incredible. the best group I've ever had the pleasure to meet. Some still drop in. If you post I'll read and comment. Peace

Cheevyjames, carlwm and jmcgoldrick like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Eagles of Death Metal with an upbeat version of God of Thunder from their covers album.

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Sounds like they were going for the Paul demo more than the finished product.

10. William Smart

my man your taste is exquisite.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  11. William Smart

As a rule I hate drum solos. Especially in Rock. They're over extended & sorry, but corny. Want to see a great drum solo? Terry Bozzio, Michael Portnoy, Gavin Harrison, Pat Mastelotto etc. Great Style. Bozzio is a freaking animal. See I didn't say Bill Bruford. PaxAmoLux

carlwm, Matthew Tate and Ivand like this.
  12. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I know this goes past our timeline here, but we caught them at the Garden this spring. Amazing show! Go, if they are coming near you. In terms of theatrics, you really can't beat these shows, and that includes the 70s shows. The technology just wasn't there back in the day.

William Smart and carlwm like this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Nope...I can't do it, I've seen this show before performed by a band that was far more energetic, KISS 2019 doesn't work for me.

Christopher B likes this.
  14. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Ah, you'll dig it. I was against the make-up thing, but let's face it, at this point, Thayer blows away Ace. The guy's got big league chops. And we forget Singer has been in the band way longer than Criss and is also great :)

carlwm likes this.
  15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

The monolith Kiss thread is back. Love this thread so informal.

carlwm and RelayerNJ like this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Paul Stanley tweeted this.

[​IMG]

17. William Smart

You know those are the same words I've always used to describe them. A SHOW!!! for a first time KISS Show attendee You can explain for a month, but it's something you have to see. Yeah it's no longer as random, you know what's happening when, who's flying spitting or roasting. But a newbie gets the best FOOKING SHOW of his life. I missed them this time. I kept hearing Paul's voice was gone and being supplemented with pre-recorded voice. I thought I'd be happier remembering them as they were on R&RO tour. I wasn't. If they come back to NY area I'll go. First show was late 74 early 75. I think I caught the last shows they did in like a 1000 seat joint. Damned place was leaking with all the heavy rains we had that season. Genes hair caught fire, they did 5 or 6 songs maybe then cancelled cause they were afraid someone might get electrocuted.

Always a SHOW

PaxAmoLux

18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I heard this song on the radio driving to work this morning. I kid you NOT. :wtf::confused::yikes::faint: :pineapple:

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I'm not speaking to my former friend who turns out to be an OU fan :p

Cheevyjames, William Smart and carlwm like this.
  20. BluesOvertookMe

[​IMG]

21. BluesOvertookMe

Rocking out to All American Man right now!:pineapple:

22. William Smart

Yesterday I played their catalogue in chronological order. I felt ....uh 45 years younger

23. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I've met Paul and Gene before, actually I've been meeting Gene on and off since I was 11 (Insert best Pedo joke "Here" A-Game please)

Gene ALWAYS impresses me, the guy is a BLAST to talk too, LOVES to bust balls, but once he knows you don't take yourself too seriously...He busts MORE...and he's a VERY fun guy to have a conversation with.

Gene LOVES to talk, he'll talk to you about ANYTHING, debate you preferably, he's funny as hell...but that's not why I like the guy...I like him because when it's your turn to say something...He looks you right between the eyes (so there "Won't be no compromise" I expect) and LISTENS to every word you say...It's quite amazing, his ego is not the gigantic monster he likes people to think it is. The last time I saw him was at a Hockey game between periods, the game started and I was like "OK, don't want to miss this, I'm going back to my seat or they won't let me in till the next play stoppage" But I guess he thought I hadn't fully absorbed his description of the floor plan of a studio we were discussing, so he followed me down the hall demanding I repeat his description from memory...maybe you had to be there but it was quite funny.

I have NO problem believing that he harbors concerns for Peter and Ace's financial well-being, also let it be known that he has employed both Peter and Ace in the last year and a half.

Now, Mr. Stanley on the other hand...I've been around him a few times but I would never claim to know the guy even in the most casual of "L.A ways"

In fact, I think he may have mistaken me for a human fart, whose existence he considers to somehow offensive. Not that he's ever been rude...But I swear on more than one occasion, I was sure he was going to hold a ring out for me to kiss...you know how I said Gene, when you are speaking to him is focused on YOU like you are the only person in the world. With Paul....I swear, the guy looks right through me.

None of this is offensive to me, he's Paul F'ing Stanley, I'd be disappointed if he was like "hey man! Nice to meet ya! Some weather huh?"

But meeting him and Gene side by side is a real eye opener..I do not believe Paul gives too many F$^ks about Ace and Peter. I'm not judging him, that's his life and his people, I wasn't there, I don't know

......You know what, in retrospect, maybe I should have saved "You know what man, your WRONG about Unmasked, that's your second-best record" For a little later on....But I could have said that to Gene and he would have wanted to debate it for half an hour.

IN OTHER NEWS: I feel I have made an important KISS discovery, and am quite disappointed at the lack of "ooh's" and "Aww's" I've received since going public with my research...I will try for the accolades due to me, by repeating it hear.

NOW HEAR THIS: EVERY song on Smashes Thrashes and Hits is a drum machine (Save perhaps "tears are falling") There isn't a live drum track on the entire record, not the new songs not the old ones. It's the Roland R8 Human Rhythm Composer. A drum machine I use extensively to this day. It was designed in the mid to late 80's so studios could program drum tracks with endless variable nuance. Thus making the listener believe they are actually drums. I am intimately acquainted with both the internal samples and those available via expansion cards. I'd know those samples and sounds ANYWHERE.

Props? KISS points? A free copy of Peter's last solo record? (Send in the clowns) ANYTHING!?!!

24. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

"DIG IT!!!!"

That song is a straight-up KILLER. Those studio tracks on ALIVE two are just awesome. (Yes, this includes "Rockin in the U.S.A" and especially "Any way you want it" which I think is KISS at their best, I LOVE that track....People also often forget that "Rocket Ride" (The magic man Sean Delany strikes again) and it's perfect mix of "Good-Time-Glitter' with a dash of NY Punk, was actually a top 40 HIT!

Seriously, it' one of KISS's top 10 biggest hits.

It's amazing how a band so utterly CLUELESS as to what made them good, we're able to punch far above their weight and record some of the best Rock N' Roll ever.

CoachD and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  25. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

NO WAY!

X in Sex is fondly remembered now as a goofy guilty pleasure...Rock Hard STILL has people running for the bathroom.

Juggsnelson likes this.