"Midsommar" - new folk horror film from "Hereditary" director Ari Aster*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tim S, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member Thread Starter

Set for July release

2. Tim S

Early reviews are rating this as very, very good and scary - a most worthy followup to Hereditary. Going to do my best to avoid plot details and descriptions 'til I can see this.

Macman likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, it looks like the sort of film the remake of The Wicker Man should have been.

4. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I'm really looking forward to this. Hereditary is one of the best horror films I've ever seen.

RickH and Tim S like this.
  5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Seeing the trailer gave me tremendous anxiety, mainly because of my experience with Hereditary. Even though I wasn't happy with the ending of that film, it's a wrenching movie anyway.

6. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Anyone seen this yet?

7. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Just got out of my showing.

Well..........

All I'll say is it's extremely well crafted and I enjoyed it, though not as much as Hereditary.

There's one scene in particular that had the audience in complete shock and/or laughing in stitches, and it's all I've been able to think about since seeing it.

8. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I saw the trailer. It just seemed very strange to see a "horror movie" shot in daylight. It wasn't even filmed in Sweden. I saw his other film Hereditary and didn't like it, especially the ridiculous weird ending.

9. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The trailer makes it seem like an explanation/continuation for the weird ending of Hereditary.

Whoops I didn't see the date this thread was posted so didn't know it's playing right now at my local theater. Guess I'm going to have to see it soon.

10. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Released to underwhelming reviews. I am disappointed. I'm a Florence Pugh fan
    (watch `Lady Macbeth'!) and was ready to make a rare journey to the cinema.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I just got back from seeing this and really liked it. I'd put it a notch above Hereditary, though I did like that too. That was more straight horror. I actually laughed a lot during this, though there is still horror to be sure. A24 has really put out a nice string of "unsettling" movies over the last few years.

While the multi-plex was packed with people seeing Spiderman and Toy Story, I was an audience of one for my showing of Midsommar. The movie is long (just under 2.5 hours) and takes it time, but I knew that going in and the pace didn't bother me at all. I'd just recomend skipping the big gulp.

12. I’m going to see this on Saturday- can’t wait. Wicker Man is one of my all time favorites and it looks like a few of those elements might be in play? Good enough for me.

Alan2 likes this.
  13. Tim Lookingbill

Just saw it. Wow! I'm going to need a Pippi Longstockings palette cleanser after this. Psychological horror at its most disturbing.

I got a bathroom review while taking a tinkle from some elderly conservative white haired dude who barked out while washing his hands..."The people who made that movie had to be on drugs!"

Never did "shrooms" but this movie will suffice.

I'm going to do a William Castle style warning here...Anyone who is faint of heart, suffering from depression and/or is mentally unstable DON'T GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Sounds like this is a must see for me! :D

vince likes this.
  15. Well reviews only go so far. "Blade Runner", "The Thing" also got underwhelming to downright lousy reviews and the reviewers revised their opinion later realizing they were wrong.

16. Tim S

Yeah, I think that warning had unintended consequences - now every horror fan wants to see it.

17. Tim S

Seems pretty good to me:

Midsommar (2019)

I fully expect a lower viewer rating - horror fans have demonstrated again and again how baffled and frustrated they are by anything that isn't brainless.

Chip Z likes this.
  18. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Good, though not as good as Hereditary. Having seen Wicker Man, I pretty much knew what was coming. It would be far more effective if you went in blind.

19. Tim Lookingbill

To be blindsided by its shocking imagery for sure. At least that's what it's got going for it over Hereditary.

I think Ari Aster is vying to be this generation's Clive Barker of cerebral horror. I'm going to have to watch Midsommar again just to understand all the hand drawn pictograph symbols which if you're not paying attention you'll miss the disturbing history of this bizarre Swedish festival culture. Some of it makes sense and some of it is just delusional on a level no amount of medication could fix.

20. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I saw this yesterday. I love a film that moves me, be it positive or negative. Just as I was settling in for a nice disturbing film it reached the half/two thirds point and fell apart for me. The attempt at darkness became gratuitous, almost juvenile in it's approach. When the relationships started fracturing amongst the group the film started going down hill for me.

I have a feeling this movie may gain some legs; the 10:30am showing had a half full theater. People were glued, but when the lights came up there was plenty of emotionless faces, no OMG that was a trip, which is what I look for in this type of film.

If you're looking for a disturbing escape, this may be the film for you. As I said it was rolling along nicely for a little over halfway, but what was left was a drag imo.

Spastica and Ghostworld like this.
  21. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Saw this yesterday. Really a bad film. Basically a rehash of The Wickerman. And BTW Hereditary was almost a remake of Rosemary's Baby.

I really feel that Hollywood remakes film cause most people don't watch old films (Films before 1990)

Ghostworld and Fruff76 like this.
  22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

This article goes into detail about the runes and what they mean in the context of the film.
    Spoilers: Digging into the Runes Throughout ‘Midsommar,’ What the Hell They All Mean, and the Easter Eggs Ari Aster Hid Throughout

agentalbert and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!! I'm not hiding everything in a spoiler tag, so if you're reading details and haven't seen it yet, so sorry...

Very interesting, thanks for posting. There is no way I (or really anyone other than an anthropologist or rune expert) would see all those runes and recognize them during the viewing of the movie initially, but it will make for an interesting revisit.

What I wonder is if there was ever any way for the group to leave alive. Or even just some of them. If Mark didn't piss on the tree full of ashes, if Josh didn't try to take pictures of their book after being expressly forbidden, if the couple from London hadn't freaked out after the ritual suicide, if Christian hadn't wigged out after the mating ritual and discovered the corpses of Mark and Josh, etc. Was there any chance of them ever making it out alive, or were they all doomed as soon as they accepted Pelle's invitation to the village no matter what they did?

From the article linked above:

Pelle is also wearing the Fehu symbol on his tunic, which as J.S. noted means prosperity for him in particular because by the end of the film—when all four of Pelle’s guests have been used by the pagan cult for their own purposes—Pelle is seen wearing a crown of laurels. He is triumphant for having brought the best set of sacrifices.
    So does that make the festival like a murderous version of "Dinner For Schmucks"? LOL!

24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Led Zeppelin fans will love this film.

Ghostworld, Fruff76 and swandown like this.
  25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw it today.

Good movie not as good as Hereditary.

Not for the faint of heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.