The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

All joking aside, what bothers you about it..?? I will say this...I wish someone would undertake the nearly impossible task of making a movie in which The Beatles came to America, and, for some reason, totally flopped (Bruce Spizer gives an interestingly amusing scenario of this actually happening in his book, The Beatles Are Coming) and subsequently sank without a trace, as they say. From there, we see a potential storyline concerning the lives of some specific characters living in a world (or an "America" as it were) in which there was ZERO Beatle influence either musically or culturally. An easy undertaking with effective and realistic/believable results, this would not be. But in terms of "what if The Beatles never existed", this is the movie I'd like to really see.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Licorice pizza and troggy like this.
  2. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

I liked it. I thought his parents were a riot.

3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'd pay to see this, so long as it were funny.

The Beatles never existed, except for these four guys who stumble on all the songs, the look, everything. Then, they go around playing everything as a full-fledged cover band, as though everyone knows who the Beatles are.

Upsiditus and Steve Litos like this.
  4. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

The premise hold up just fine. I would say it is skilfully and respectfully navigated. Much of it has knowing nods. I laughed out loud on a couple of occasions at the easter eggs it threw up.

5. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

When is there going to be a film about some guy or girl who wakes up and starts composing The Rutles' songs? It's long overdue in my book.

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Ben wouldn't want to be on the same planet as a film with THAT premise! :laugh:

7. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Isn't more of the focus on their relationship though? I was hoping they'd give a better indication of what would change without The Beatles.

8. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I’m still waiting (probably never will happen in the US) for an authentic Miles Davis autobiographical blockbuster. Not Don Cheadle’s fiasco.

9. bward

bward Senior Member

It’s a good, entertaining film.
    It’s actually a tribute to the Beatles.
    I loved the surprise.
    Is it Citizen Kane? Or course not. It’s not meant to be.
    It’s pretty incredible this band which broke up half a century ago, with two members long dead, is still relevant and still inspiring a new generation.
    I think it is a clever film. It could be funnier.
    But I give it 2 thumbs up.

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...just saw it this afternoon. I now have a better understanding of "what happened" and there were apparently two additional characters in Jack's alternate reality time warp "boat" as well. Very very enjoyable with only a couple of moments of so-called "deepness". It's simply a good movie made to be enjoyed. And on that level (among others, IMO), it very nicely succeeds.

11. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

That was the part I didn't quite understand. But I loved where that ultimately led. I saw the movie with someone close to me, and that scene had us both in tears. In a good way.

stevenson66g, bonus and DK Pete like this.
  12. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I just saw it and loved it. Yes they don’t explain why the blackout happened or why some things were “forgotten,” but that’s not the point. I loved the message of the film and the twist towards the end—which I won’t ruin for those who haven’t seen it—is really moving. I immediately started full-out crying.

13. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I liked it...cute movie. Left the movie smiling. Another Danny Boyle classic.

14. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Sunshine and Millions were excellent.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Here's the way I interpreted that part with the older couple....following that global blackout, there were an extremely small amount of people in the world who, like Jack, remained mentally in the previous reality. A sort of alternate-reality time warp of sorts which they, like Jack, got stuck in. Hence, according to THEIR reality (like Jack) which they never truly exited, they knew and were familiar with the world Jack came from.

Teek, MarkTheShark and georgespigott like this.
  16. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Rebel without a cause

Upsiditus, JoeRockhead and jon9091 like this.
  17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

How do we know this isn’t a loosely based biography about 4 chaps from Liverpool who wake up to discover that they are the only ones to remember the songs from a band who hit it big in in 1919 and decide to capitalize on that fact? Ooooo. Meta.

andrewskyDE, JoeRockhead and Zeki like this.
  18. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

I'm a HUGE Beatles fan (I named my son Ringo) and I absolutely LOVED this movie! Yeah, it's a bit corny and light, but man, it's exactly what I needed.

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I mentioned in another thread, I think both John Denver and Sonny Bono would make interesting pics. I’m not much of a fan of either, but think both have really interesting stories. Also, I think that they’re both less “known” in modern society, so audiences would be even more receptive to actors’ takes on their personas.

For Denver, you’ve got an unlikely guy who becomes almost as hot in the 70s as ... well, Elton and Queen. :). But he never has a real comeback. Plus you’ve got the twist on the “back to nature” vs “spoiled superstar” lifestyle. Throw in a tragic, unexpected death, and I think that’s an interesting two hours at the theatre. Obligatory soundtrack tie-in could rehabilitate some of his songs: Rocky Mountain High, and some others, are genuine classics, even though he seemed to slip into boring ballads and kitsch later on.

I know less about Bono, but the guy was a songwriter, interacting with some early 60s legends, then married Cher, divorced, then became a republican congressman? And, also had a somewhat tragic, unexpected death. Another interesting story there.

In both those stories, they don’t even have to make **** up, the story is intriguing enough.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Upsiditus, theMess and MarkTheShark like this.
  20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Saw it with the wife and daughter today and absolutely loved it. Great family movie.

21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

And yet, you linger on in this thread and continue to tell everyone how much you hate a movie you haven’t seen. Brilliant. :righton:

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

even my wife wants to see this!

2141 likes this.
  23. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I saw it today with my friend. Her husband thought it would be bad and didn't go. Another of our friends thought it would be "dreck." There were a number of points where I thought it might turn out okay. But we ended grading it very poorly. We agreed that the relationship was phony and unconvincing and I thought the ending/resolution was extremely hokey, one of the worst i've ever seen. I tend to like corny things if they're done well - I loved Shazam! - but not in this case. So yes, in conclusion my review is not a positive one.

24. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Moreover, who wrote "Wonderwall" if Oasis never existed? Also, the opening line to "I Saw Her Standing There" was used twice. I laughed out loud both times.

Upsiditus likes this.
  25. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

He played wonderwall in the previous reality, pre-accident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.