Michael Hutchence. Largely forgotten?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GonnaGetcha

GonnaGetcha Forum Resident

How many times do we need to...there is no 'the' canon!

That i'm aware of...there is no secret canon on the dark web which has conspired to disrespect INXS, their legacy and their fans. Yet.

I'm not going to speak for Figure of Eight, but i understand it as not referencing a specific canon but considering the criteria which deems a work being worthy of canonization.

What Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, The Library of Congress, your druncle or Fo8 use as criteria for making determinations for canonization, is all just a viewpoint, presented for your consideration.

I don't think Fo8 has been more forward with his viewpoints than any other posters here. He's making observations based on what criteria is meaningful to him. Like anyone would.

sunspot42 and Figure of Eight like this.
  2. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Right. Jon Farriss circa Kick/X was sexier than Michael IMO

3. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Ha, yeah... that obscure label with links to A&M Records.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  4. GonnaGetcha

He has, just nothing you choose to agree with.

Figure of Eight likes this.
  5. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Kick is a great album, bit locked in the 80s but still fun to listen to. It's just not a must hear album that influenced lots of bands.

sunspot42, shaboo and Figure of Eight like this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

What has he provided? Examples, please. Stating an opinion as a declaratory statement and attributing it to a canon you admit does not exist is not the kind of well reasoned argument I am familiar with. Sorry.

Jarleboy and ARK like this.
  7. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

As I posted before, INXS have seen a significant upsurge in sales and streams over the past five years.

Interesting how you keep cherry picking certain bits of information to fit your own narrative.

We get it. You don't rate INXS.

ARK and Rocketdog like this.
  8. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I think maybe the TV movie had something to do with that too. Because you know a band as insignificant as them would have a 3 hour long docudrama film and a documentary about Hutchence that just came out. :laugh:

ARK likes this.
  9. GonnaGetcha

Examples are littered throughout the thread. While i'm not available to be your secretary, if you find something which appears off base, i'll be happy to discuss further.

statcat likes this.
  10. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I would agree that yes, he is largely forgotten about in terms of an established popular legacy that continues to flourish. Diehard music fans in general know who he is, or may be fans of INXS. But INXS hasn’t exactly resonated across the generations, and even when they were popular, it wasn’t like Michael Hutchence was a household name himself.

In retrospect, he was kind of a latter-day sex symbol throwback to Jim Morrison. And at this late stage, even Sexy Dead Jim Morrison isn’t exactly cool anymore either.

Jet Age Eric and Figure of Eight like this.
  11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

OK, so you are a troll as well. Got it.

12. GonnaGetcha

What? Really? Is there a consensus on this?

13. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Maybe this documentary that just came out a few weeks ago has something to do with this thread..

[​IMG]

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No, this thread was started in 2016

15. overdrivethree

In my anecdotal experience, Jim Morrison (or the popular idea of him) is kind of a laughingstock at this point in a way that other Dead Rock Stars aren’t. All that pompous, boozed-up poetry and those unwashed leather pants...

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  16. Christian Hill

not a problem...

..[​IMG]

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. GonnaGetcha

Providing examples for your limited sensibilities to automatically reject is a waste of my time.

Despite that it's been determined there is no right or wrong answer here, you have chosen to find a way to be all kinds of wrong. Congratulations.

18. Christian Hill

and all those fans, and hit records, and Hall Of Fame awards, yeah I know what you mean.

19. GonnaGetcha

The unwashed leather pants were the last straw? Huh.

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. overdrivethree

Hit records (in the ‘60s). Hall of Fame awards (in the ‘90s). All those fans, especially millennials and younger, keeping the legacy of Mr. Mojo Risin intact in 2019.

21. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

That and the fact that they tried to make him look like his 1967 version on album covers instead of the fat guy with the beard.

22. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Actually, the whole album is best listened to in one sitting. Nice and loud on a good sound system with a nice beverage of your choice.
    Just take it all in as there are all kinds of twists and turns in the album and many of the songs run right into one another.
    Think about the influence that "Achtung Baby" very likely had on the album but make no mistake, this is a bold and adventurous INXS taking some risks musically and coming out stronger for it.
    They really shook it up here.
    Arguably their best album.

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think you would find my sensibilities to be pretty far from limited. Because I don't accept "because it is my opinion, it is a fact" as an example of sound reasoning, you choose to call me wrong? I don't think anyone other the troll will agree with you.

24. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I have to disagree here. I don't see the connection. "Achtung Baby" was one of those relevant and game changing albums when it came out in the fall of 1991. It was a bold move. It influenced a lot of bands and musicians in it's time and got the band a whole new audience as well. Those were exciting times. INXS had to change it up a bit as "X" was like "Kick" part 2 in a way.
    Never did any of the members of INXS ever remotely state that U2 took their ideas towards "Achtung Baby" and I'm sure they would have said something if they thought they were being taken...
    Also, INXS were touring the "X" album while U2 were recording in Berlin. They wouldn't have been working on their new album until probably early '92, after U2's album was already out and starting to take off...

"Welcome..." is a direct influence of "Achtung..." to my ears.

25. GonnaGetcha

Nobody suggested this. You have been misinterpreting posts left and right in this thread.

Ideas have been presented and they've gone straight over your head. That doesn't make anyone a troll. You not understanding does not make anyone else a troll.

Attacking fellow posters who haven't attacked you - That is being a troll.

Get it?

I knew you wouldn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.