Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

I've been listening to/watching dozens of interviews with David, Nick, Rick & Roger on Youtube from the time of The Final Cut and going forward to the The Division Bell/Pulse, just to get a good over-arching view of how they saw that whole period, their activities, relationships, the material they created and the tours etc. Lots of interesting insights through the years. I've probably read it all in one book or another, but it's different hearing them actually saying certain things.

While personal relationships had soured considerably by the time the Final Cut was done and dusted, the legal wrangling over the Pink Floyd name and how it affected David personally and professionally clearly aggrieved him to an extent I don't think any amount of time or goodwill from Roger could ever put right.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's not a rumor and it will cover 5 official releases (3 studio, 2 live). There's no point comparing this to The Early Years, apples and oranges.

AMLORs getting a new mix, Division Bell only had a limited 5.1 release and we may see something new regarding TER. DSOT is getting a new mix and edit. It looks like Venice and Knebworth are likely to be included. Not to mention all the jams, outtakes, and demos we'll most likely be getting.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  3. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Just out of curiosity: does Roger have any say in this? Or the other PF members for that matter? This was all for a good cause, they didn't get any royalties for the Live8 dvd set (AFAIK). Do they own the rights at all?

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It's just a guess, I think there must be some kind of special agreement in terms of copyright and things.
    And Roger was just temporarily back in the band, somehow he must have a say in this.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  5. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

This is a good, long interview from 1987 with Gilmour, covering a wide range of topics.

Alofter and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I don't think he was. It was advertised as Pink Floyd, but Waters was never legally considered part of the official band again, but more of a guest for that particular event.

7. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

The fact you count the live stuff as separate albums shows the difference in how we view this. The Early Years was a revelation because of how obscure the band was, with only half of Ummagumma as the only official live release from the period. It gave us one new full live set (The Man and the Journey) and a bunch of other radio and concert material. This set proposes to cover a span of time that only had two tours, with limited variety in setlists, both of which are already represented with a double live album, with much repeated on both live albums. It’s hard for me to be excited by another take of Wish You Were Here or Comfortably Numb.

St. Troy and mcallister like this.
  8. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Luckily no one is forcing you to buy it :)

Billy_Sunday, RangerXT, ARK and 3 others like this.
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The fact that Pink Floyd are including the live albums shows the difference between them and how you view this. I didn't compile this release.

10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Whatever happened to "don't shoot the messenger"?

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I really dont feel like anyone was shooting at me but some folks definitely have a different opinion on how the band should represent its legacy.

12. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Like most bands when they started off in the 60s released a album every year more or less and as time goes on they spend more time in the studio and looking at new directions etc so a album takes longer to do the later years are one of my favourite floyd eras so much cool stuff was released

rontoon, coffeetime and hiterss like this.
  13. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

I love this thread

14. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Man, when you put it all together like that, it makes me more thrilled about this set than I already was. The new AMLOR mix, restored DSOT, plus any unreleased jams (including Peace Be With You). Waiting for the announcement is getting tough!

RangerXT, ARK, kenanna and 8 others like this.
  15. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Still want a Middle Years box myself (even though we ain't going to get one!!!!).

16. Johnny Feathers

I’m genuinely curious what you would expect out of this set that we don’t already have in the Immersion sets. Yes, Animals in 5.1 and a live show from 1977....but I think we have most everything else already.

17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Wouldn't we get some out takes from Meddle? Or were all that exists included in TEY. There has not been an Immersion box for it.

18. floydfan2410

Well if a Middle Years box should happen, which is very highly unlikely, here are some of my wishes:
    1972 - Complete Brighton Dome audio
    1973 - Complete show (there is supposed to be a pro recording in existance)
    1977 - Complete show (we might get this along with Animals 5.1 due for release early 2020)
    1980/81 - Complete The Wall Live Blu-ray

19. Johnny Feathers

TEY had an Echoes work in progress track. I think that was all there was aside from some live material from that era.

rockclassics likes this.
  20. floydfan2410

An immersion set was planned for Meddle but got scrapped. I'd love to hear the complete Echoes with alternate lyrics and get a proper edition of the 5.1 mix.

21. rockclassics

As I recall the Echoes segment was only about 7 minutes long. I have to think they have all of the segments. Wasn't Echoes originally called The Son of Nothing. And then Return of the Son of Nothing. As I recall those were like 24 different sections/ segments.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. rockclassics

Bummer that it got shelved. Wonder why?

23. Johnny Feathers

Yeah...I do remember thinking they could have done more with that material in TEY. That said, the more the band re-visits these albums to release subsequent (yet still maddeningly incomplete) box sets puts me off throwing any more money at them. Hence my feelings about “The Later Years”.

24. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

There is an early version of Echoes that sounded very different and had a completely different set of lyrics. You can hear part of it on the BBC Producers Workshop program from a few years ago. Once again, a Floyd diamond sitting right out there in the open and it was passed up because of poor research by the Floyd's team. How these people manage to keep their jobs after doing such shoddy, half-assed work, is beyond me.

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I still don't know why they only offered 1 of the 24 Parts of Nothing, A lot of things about the Early Years still confuse me.

andrewskyDE and J_D__ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.