What competitive bands or musicians did John Lennon admire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ephi82, Jul 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Most people prefer the music that they liked as teenagers. John is no different. He certainly was listening to contemporary sounds in the 70s, even if the 50s stuff was closest to his heart.

2. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

John's favorite Liverpool band was the Big Three.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

So why did he appear on records with Ringo and Bowie and EJ in the 70s? Weren’t they the competition? Why would he want to help them have hits?

Your argument is that Lennon was ruthless in doing what it took to make it in the business. That doesn’t necessarily mean he was that way with other musicians.

4. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

He definitely liked The Wailers. Took the phrase "living on borrowed time" from "Hallelujah Time." (so I have heard)

5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Seems I remember reading somewhere
    that he and Yoko liked Disco. I don't
    recall any mention by either of them
    of any specific artists or songs though.

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Not so directly competitive but he loved Hendrix.

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  7. The Zombies.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ticket to Ride was recorded two months before the Byrds released their first single, so Lennon could not have been influenced by them on that song. In that particular case the influence went the other way, as the Byds later copied the Ticket To Ride drum beat on She Don't Care About Time

Shekespeare and teag like this.
  9. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

John liked The Rutles!
    I've been imagining how great a version of "#9 Dream" with ELO as the backing group with the 10cc members providing backing harmonies and John on lead vocals could have sounded.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There's a photo of John in his house from around 1967 and he had Safe As Milk stickers on his fridge door!

11. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I’m amazed no-one’s yet mentioned The Searchers.

When The Searchers appeared with The Beatles on Thank Your Lucky Stars in 1963, playing their current hit Sweets For My Sweet, Lennon said “I consider it the best record to come out of Liverpool”.

[​IMG]

12. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

He tore into the Stones in the 1980 Playboy interview, basically for not having grown up and sticking with the idea of being in a "gang" instead of going it on their own. He had also expressed disdain earlier about them "imitating" the Beatles on "every f'king album" and "every f'king single."

13. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Also, he liked The Move. I believe he played “Night Of Fear” at a party he was DJ’ing at.

14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

His jukebox should give a few clues:

[​IMG]

Suncola and Ephi82 like this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Clever of The Byrds to influence a record released before their own debut.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

He name checked The Move on radio, calling them "The Hollies with b*lls". He phoned someone (Tony King? ? his son Julian?) to watch them on TV when they did Brontosaurus in 1970.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  17. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I may be wrong but I think I heard somewhere that he was impressed by Steve Hackett's guitar playing on the early Genesis records.

willwin likes this.
  18. Dickie Knee

Dickie Knee Forum Resident

He would have loved Oasis. Come on guys Harry Nilsson was his drinking buddy.

19. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

I remember reading he listened to Springsteen's The River a lot in the couple of months before his death. Supposedly the show Bruce played on the night of his death was quite something, too.

20. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working Thread Starter

Whatever dude.

Lennon wasn’t competitive? You don’t know what you are talking about. You don’t get to the top of the pops by farting out songs and letting them just sit in the air.

Yes, music can be art, but no one hears it unless it is produced through the music business, and there you have competition.

Last, Lennon loved music and he loved and admired certain other artists. We obviously know many of his influencers (ie Everlys, Berry etc) , I want to know who he listened to and liked.

21. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working Thread Starter

Thats interesting. Exactly the little tid bit of info I was looking for. Do you remember where you read this?

22. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

Sorry, not specifically. Just checked my copy of Point Blank, a Bruce bio by Christopher Sandford, and there's this quote in the midst of general praise about the album: "Even Lennon, in the last days of his life, 'dug the Boss'."
    But I do remember someone saying that Lennon had it in heavy rotation. It mainly stuck in my mind because The River is my favourite album.

Here's what Bruce said on the night of the shooting:
    "If it wasn't for John, a lot of us would be in some different place tonight. It's a hard world that makes you live with a lot of things that are unlivable. And it's hard to come out here and play tonight, but there's nothing else to do."

Suncola likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The Miracles. But I think the other Fabs also loved them.

[​IMG]

Zoot Marimba and starduster like this.
  24. Most of the artists that we've ever heard of treated their music and their careers as a competition at least in part. This is why we have heard of them.

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I read that he liked the 'Hungry Hearts' single a lot. But it's possible he also enjoyed the whole album.

Dellarigg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.