Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Personally a chance to get the material from those years without the bells, whistles and marbles of the Immersion sets. A sort of cutback Immersion package in one box!

ARK likes this.
  2. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

That, I understand. And as someone who plunked down for all three Immersion sets, I’d be fairly ticked at folks being offered a cheap version after I paid full price!

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I've never heard this before. It was always the "Big 3" for the Immersions that got released. Meddle was never planned for an Immersion set, AFAIK.

4. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Yep take KQED, AD from that performance finally got released by the TV company's vault with none of the 70's effects on it & in great picture and audio.

oneslip17 likes this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

This surfaced as if by accident after TEY was released. KQED didn't even know that they had it at the time.

6. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I've read about this a few times probably on AFG and/or Yeeshkul, it might just be rumours, but my impression is that it was actually in the pipeline but got cancelled for some reason.
    Whether or not it's true I'm sure there would be enough content to fill out a box set.

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's not true and was never considered for an Immersion.

ARK, andrewskyDE, RangerXT and 2 others like this.
  8. From what has been said on these boards, additional multi-tracks were found and the producers of the box were not notified and did not find out till the box had been produced. There was never a "Immersion" box planned. At the time the Early Years box went to press, all that was known was what was on it.

ARK likes this.
  9. floydfan2410

Thanks for the clarification :)
    So back to The Later Years, I wonder what they will actually call it? The Later Years has actually grown on me so I would be fine with that title, but they might call it something completely different, like a line from a song just as they did with The Endless River :)
    Pink Floyd - Forever and Ever (sounds a bit cheesy lol)

10. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

That's definitely not true.

11. Read over on the board about the Earl Years box before you make statements like that.

12. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

I did. And my statement is 100% correct.
    Your assumption/opinion is in fact really naive.

Chris M likes this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Not everything was available at the time of the release of TEY (like the recently discovered performance of Astronomy Domine from KQED) but there were decisions regarding leaving off things they had. I doubt that the bit of the Echoes demo is all there is of that and there are early mixes of some songs (Scream and Veg Man) and mono mixes of singles that were left off.

I dont know if anyone involved with the project knew about the Producer's Workshop multitracks but I wouldnt put it past them.

14. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Exactly. Plus Saucerful Mono or Fillmore West Live recorded by Bill Graham (too expensive to license). And much more.

Check your facts. My friend.

15. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

Top of my wish list for this box is the discs being on spindles!

16. So, still nothing “Official”? Would be nice to hear something soon.

17. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

There was a piece in Guitar World in 2012 where they interviewed Nick Mason and John Leckie about the making of Meddle and where they printed the following:

"Meddle is the linchpin between the itinerant creativity of Pink Floyd’s early years and the sophisticated conceptual work for which they are hailed today. Fittingly, the 40-year-old album is getting a facelift as part of EMI’s campaign to reissue several of the band’s significant albums in editions that include studio outtakes, live recordings and rare tracks. The new Experience and Immersion editions of Meddle help shed light on this vital, defining disc in the Pink Floyd catalog."

That article and (now known to be erroneous) piece of information specifically is possibly the smoking gun that prompted much of the online speculation about a Meddle Immersion set.

18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Well done.

Billy_Sunday and Myke like this.
  19. floydfan2410

That's it. I knew I had read it somewhere :)
    I guess the content ended up in the Early Years box instead :)

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No, the writer of the article is mistaken. There were no plans for Experience or Immersion editions of Meddle. And I swear that this will be the last time I post this!

21. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

It is a pity, however.

andrewskyDE, RAZORMADE and rontoon like this.
  22. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

This was a great listen. Thanks so much for sharing it.

23. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

I was using my Pink Floyd marbles today with my son... and he enjoyed playing with them (he is 4, going on 5), so here is hoping to some ephemera in the next box set. I am all for it! Scarves, posters, marbles... surprise me!

24. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

I noticed you changed your avatar. Is that nod to what is likely to be the artwork of the box?

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I don't know what the box will look like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.