Spider-Man: Far From Home

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I saw this today and liked it somewhat (didn't love it and didn't hate it,) but it was not nearly as good as the previous Spider-Man movie. The person I was with thought the movie was boring in parts and didn't like the reveal during the end credits since it suggests the next one will just be a continuation, a la a soap opera. And I agree with Vidiot that it felt like a teenage romcom regarding 3 couples with a jealous single trying to wreck one of the relationships. And there are definitely stereotypes throughout the movie, especially regarding the uncool/awkward adults (teachers) chaperoning the kids, which became tiresome, just for comic effect.

Endgame and Captain Marvel were both much better Marvel movies than the new Spider-Man.

jupiter8 and Vidiot like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Definitely!
    The return of JJJ! :laugh:

Murph, JoeRockhead and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I loved it!!!

The perfect mix of laughs, eye-popping action, and some truly solemn moments befitting the epic events of Endgame.

I really recommend having seen the last two Avengers films, Ant Man, and Captain Marvel before seeing Far From Home - following on from those game-changing movies is essential, imo. And its inevitable that after 21 films the crossover canon is going to be increased. But, hey, that’s part of the fun!!

The audience in my theatre laughed uproariously and were acutely attentive during the quiet bits. I don’t know how Marvel does it, the way they attenuate each film with it’s own atmosphere and aesthetic, but they do it again and again.

There is no film series in cinema history with this level of detail, acutely-drawn characters, and sheer love for the subject matter than what Marvel has done!!!!

Now, if we can only get people to understand that it’s not over when the credits roll!!!

4. While Endgame was better, Spider-Man was better than Captain Marvel IMHO.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I enjoyed this Spider-Man more than both Endgame and Captain Marvel.

6. Oatsdad

Disagree. I thought "CM" was a lot of fun, whereas "FFH" felt like more of a chore to watch...

Vidiot, jupiter8 and neo123 like this.
  7. I didn't feel that it was a chore at all. Sure, it had a more convoluted plot but I also thought it was fun.

I thought Captain Marvel was fun and, until the last third, very good whereupon it became very predictable and the various twists were telegraphed a mile away (maybe half a mile) whereas for SFFH, it wasn't and even those plot points I figured out were a couple of kilometers away (had to go metric since most of it takes place in Europe).

I give SFFH points also for a couple of cool twists that you might not have seen coming IF you didn't read the comics or watch the TV cartoons.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks! loved it...can't wait.

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I liked it in 3D and will see it again soon (AMC A-List member). That scene halfway through where Mysterio plays with Spidey's mind was mind blowing in 3D. A sweet movie about high school kids in Europe with superhero stuff thrown in.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  10. without his hair piece!

11. Oatsdad

Which I thought was odd. Why not give JJJ his distinctive buzz cut?

wayneklein likes this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

To me, at least...
    I thought they were making fun of Alex Jones!

Walt and wayneklein like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Maybe, though I just thought
    JJJ's transformation from newspaper man to Internet commenter was more of a reflection of modern times. Made sense to me!

Doesn't explain why JJJ is now bald, though...

wayneklein likes this.
  14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

New series, new look.

15. Oatsdad

But
    JJJ's buzzcut is so iconic! I'm guessing Simmons just didn't want to bother with the wig! :D

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Making $$$$$$$$

Studio Weekend Estimates: SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME Swings to $185M 6-Day Domestic Opening, $580M Global Through Sunday;

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

That's pretty crazy. The web head seems to still be quite the box-office draw. Looks like I'm going to see it again today, this time with my ex-gf who's a huge Marvel movie fan. I think she'll enjoy it.

18. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I saw it yesterday, and my 11 year old son enjoyed it a lot more than I did (oh well, the people that make these don't care what old farts like me think, so I'm sure they are happy!). I found it didn't really do anything I hadn't seen before, and did we really need 2 comic relief teacher characters? Kind of a meh for me, not nearly as good as Multiverse or Homecoming.

neo123 likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, we're in total agreement on this one, Colin. I know the film's in trouble when I'm glancing at my watch during the screening, and that happened four or five times during Far from Home. I think it was a very forced, by-the-numbers superhero film. Do we chalk this up to the dreaded Franchise Fatigue, or am I just an a-hole? Fans seem to love it and it made a ton o' dough.

neo123 and Oatsdad like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Combination of the 2, I think! :D

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

22. Oatsdad

Big question is what Spidey movies would do if he'd not gotten integrated into the MCU.

While the 2 "Amazing" movies made money, they weren't the box office juggernauts of the Raimis.

Both "Spidey" and "Spidey 3" were the #1 movies in the US their respective years, and "Spidey 2" was #2 behind only "Shrek 2".

On the other hand, "ASM" was #7 for 2012 and "ASM 2" was #12 for 2014 - barely above the "Godzilla" reboot that's often viewed as a flop.

Obviously competition makes a difference. "Homecoming" did well but only got to #6, and I wouldn't be surprised if "FFH" struggled to crack the 2019 top 5.

But I think it's clear that Spidey's integration into the MCU has helped the character's financial fortunes. It also helps that "FFH" comes hot on the heels of "Endgame", as viewers will want to see how the MCU adjusts to the "post Blip" universe.

If Spidey had remained non-MCU, I don't think we'd see the same #s. I think viewers weren't excited that Sony rebooted the franchise only 5 years after "Spidey 3" and the "ASM" tallies suffered as a result of Spidey fatigue.

"Homecoming" rebooted after only three years, but the MCU magic made it big!

GodShifter likes this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm really hesitant to see this movie. I kinda want to walk away after "End Game" and quit while the MCU its still ahead (even though I'm still suffering from the "Half the Population returns from 5 year hiatus WTF" syndrome). I already found Captain Marvel largely "meh" and fear the waters will only be rougher ahead. Maybe I should bail out before it's too late.

Aside from the presence of Mysterio, nothing in the trailer interests me. I'm not interested in the teen lovey-dovey stuff. I'm old, dammit. In fact, today's my birthday, huzzah. The only reason I'd see "FFH" is out of some misguided sense of obligation to the MCU (which is is why I saw "captain Marvel", which also didn't do much for me in the trailers).

I always try to walk away when the getting is good. This is why I haven't seen any "X-Files" episodes after season 5. Or "The Office". Gotta know when to fold 'em.

The Hermit likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I liked how they reintroduced that character in light of the current state of his industry.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

There's no reason both those things can't be true, you know.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.