Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I use to but haven't visited in years...moved onto another. wonder if my collection is still there?

2. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I've read that the current golden age of streaming is about to change as content providers move to make the product more profitable. This has to do with television, movies, and music. Those of us that collect the physical media will notice least when prices for access to content rises. The only bad thing for us will be if the cost of used media begins to rise due to demand.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  3. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Just this month also purchased DVDs as b-day gifts for friends. Content that has streamed, but is available on DVD & a series from early 2000s, that I'd just viewed the last month or so on DVD:
    Life
    A former police officer returns to the force after having been wrongly imprisoned for years.
    Stars:
    Damian Lewis, Sarah Shahi, Adam Arkin

I wasn't a fan of D. Lewis' from Billions (don't care for that show) but have seen him in movies & I like S.S. & A.A.
    It's a great show! I'm including trailer link, below. Some commentors there noted it contained spoils, but this is what I watched that intrigued me enough to purchase the DVD set. Mentioning that as FYI.

Also, just purchased (another! :eek::winkgrin:) concert DVD...The Cure Live Rome, MTV Coca Cola. 2008.

The Cure 2008 10 11 Roma 'Coca Cola Live@MTV 2008' 23 sur 23

alexpop likes this.
  4. Michael

why do some studios only release DVD instead of BD as well?

5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Streaming is getting to where it is just cable TV all over again. Pay a la carte for all the stuff you want, full of commercials... What's the point? I pretty much just buy Blu-rays (I have a couple 4Ks but mostly avoid em) because I like the higher picture and audio quality. I also don't have to deal with all the commercials. They also work in pretty much any other Blu-ray player so I can take stuff to my sister's place if I want to watch it with them. My parents pretty much buy DVD because they hate having to deal with the constant firmware updates and DVDs are cheap.

Jrr and Eric_Generic like this.
  6. Time Is On My Side

Which studios?

7. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

A la carte movie streaming is what the streaming industry is using to see what older content is still popular & what is not. This will help them set pricing when the other shoe drops & they start charging the streaming supporters a la carte. My opinion.

Dave112 likes this.
  8. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

My impression is that the BluRay Disc Association never lowered the royalty payments to the level of DVD, even when studios began to abandon BluRay. It is cheaper to release DVDs, particularly of multi-disc sets like tv series.

The BDA is just an association of technology companies - there’s no leadership to propose lowering the prices so as to keep studios interested in BluRay instead of DVD.

Dave112 likes this.
  9. Michael

thanks for the explanation.

Jrr and Dave112 like this.
  10. You are going to see the entertainment cartels in those industries begin to control pricing once streaming is the only viable platform for release.

This is inevitable. I expect to see cable-like pricing practices once the few remaining streaming providers shake out.

Dave112 likes this.
  11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I have been buying about 4 a month in recent times. I assume if the DVD player ever gives up, and they are still selling Blu-ray players I will be able buy one and play DVDs on it, because its my understanding they are backwards compatible. We'll see.

Time Is On My Side likes this.
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

In the UK they do this and it's more to do with what they think will sell. If it's something with limited sales potential they will release it on DVD but not go to the trouble and extra cost of a BD.

A good recent example was the TV series Chernobyl. It was a massive hit and the UK rights holder announced they would be releasing the series here on DVD only. Then there was this huge uproar from the public - people who had seen the show and wanted to own it on BD and people who didn't have the access to the show on TV but wanted to buy a BD as they had heard so much about it.

The company actually listened and bowed to public pressure and announced they would release a BD after all.

Unfortunately not many shows and films have enough buzz to generate this much attention to get a BD release.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

4K players will play DVDs so there is no problem there. There will always be a player available to buy, even if it may be more expensive. Not like VHS and Cassette where no-one seems to be making players anymore and what they do make is awful.

Dave112 and John B Good like this.
  14. Michael

yes, it's like going backwards! at least they listened...good for them.

Dave112 likes this.
  15. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Sometimes the DVD and BluRay rights are owned by different companies. For example WB Archives offers a DVD of "The Quatermass Xperiment" but KinoLorber sells the BluRay.

Dave112 likes this.
  16. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I've wondered if it's just as simple as offering a DVD because they are sure to be available to the largest possible segment of the physical media buying public since it will play on almost any player. Bluray is always an option but it might be harder to predict demand for the product. Thanks for the information.

17. bassordrum?

bassordrum? Forum Resident

Actually in the process of dumping my DVDs. I'll subscribe to Netflix for a while to catch some newer films and TV shows.

Dave112 likes this.
  18. Time Is On My Side

I am actually surprised they are still making DVD considering they are now putting out 8K TVs. Plus with all the piracy that goes on, locking everything into streaming/cloud services seems like a good way to help stop it.

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Netflix is it just one watch? Advantage of media Repeat viewings!!!

20. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Two Elvis DVD's came today: "Love Me Tender" & "Flaming Star.
    These are two good examples where the DVD version is good
    enough & the Blu-Ray version can be passed on. My opinion.
    [​IMG]

Grand_Ennui and Dave112 like this.
  21. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

It's all about what works. Someone like me is probably going to enjoy your DVD collection once you sell it or donate it. I like to collect the hard copy of videos and music but it's no longer a necessity. Media takes up space and has a certain amount of maintenance (disc scratches, cleaning and player upkeep). Streaming is pretty much turnkey and easy to use. Streaming customers are at the mercy of providers but the tradeoff is hassle free access to entertainment. Thanks to a free market, we can all enjoy what works for our individual lifestyles.

bassordrum? likes this.
  22. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

I'm almost completely digital be it TV, movies, music or books. I don't have to move it, dust it, or have a zillion bookcases in my home. I've moved many times in my life and not having to lug boxes of books and CDs and DVDs and the solid oak bookcases they used to sit in is a true blessing.

I also don't have to worry as much that I'll buy a whole bunch of some physical product only to have the technology to play it be upgraded so you either have to upgrade your media or have multiple devices to play it on, which again clutters up my space.

The last thing is the convenience. I can order whatever in 30 seconds instead of going to a store or library or waiting for it to come in the mail.

If I can't entertain myself with Netflix, Prime, Kindle and YouTube I need to take a pill or something.

bassordrum? likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I couldn’t live with just Netflix..prime..Kindle..YouTube..alone.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  24. tennesseeborder

tennesseeborder Forum Resident

I still have a good collection of dvds and occasionally buy them. It's my only source of visual entertainment, with youtube, since I don't have cable.

fabre, PhantomStranger and Jazzmonkie like this.
  25. bassordrum?

bassordrum? Forum Resident

Just once, twice maybe. I get a free month so that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.